What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Under the Skin

http://liverpoolsmallcinema.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/under-the-skin-poster.jpg

Mostly effective film that defies categorization but is sometimes hampered by its own self-awareness in terms of how it employs effect.  It's main goal isn't telling a story as much as it just wants you to have an experience.  To that end I felt it was successful.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Event Horizon starts off as a mediocre cliche and slowly descends into ludicrous shittiness as it goes on.  Waste of time.

It's far from being a good film (mainly due to the inadequate direction) but older generations might enjoy the old school FX, models and sets, for Event Horizon was one of the last of its kind. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

:up: One of the best films of recent years

... that you saw.

I have finally got around to watch X-Men: Apocalypse and maybe because of the lowered expectations, but I liked it. I was sceptical at first about Sophie Turner’s Jean, but she was fine. Maybe if I start thinking about the plot and stuff I will eventually poke holes in it, but it’s still my initial phase. It was harder for them this time to channel that much nostalgia into the plot after Days of Future Past (the X2 theme is a huge help, that's what sold me the X-Men franchise back in 2003), and partly because of that the villain really seemed like a boring evil dude we’ve seen a thousand times before just on a bigger scale, but at least we had some nice character building moments, like Quciksilver’s arc, or Charles’s journey. I wasn’t a fan of the comics growing up, so I’m not upset about some of the changes, like Raven’s transformation to an A-list X-Men hero, I found it a natural progression for this particular incarnation of the character.

Quicksilver’s big scene was the highpoint for me, that’s what I love about special and visual effects, we can now have scenes like this, another example for me why CG doesn’t necessarily have to suck (and the 80s music helps too :D )

I watched it on an airplane two days ago and I kinda liked it too. The entire middle section with Stryker felt tacked on filler, just to get us to Alkali Lake AGAIN and see Wolverine and Weapon X AGAIN, but I guess it's logical to conclude that arc begun in the previous film. Between that and how prominent Nightcrawler was used, and how Magneto wasn't *the* bad guy, this felt like a loose remake of X2 (and The Brendan Fraser's Mummy).  Disappointing to see the Blackbird but fly one of Stryker's planes. I didn't get a chance to skip ahead to see the post credits scene that apparently sets up the next installment because of the landing process. Olivia Munn looked great but underused. There was something else that bothered me but I don't remember what it was, though the rebuilding of Xavier's house was silly. 

On 10/4/2016 at 5:21 PM, Disco Stu said:

Event Horizon starts off as a mediocre cliche and slowly descends into ludicrous shittiness as it goes on.  Waste of time.

You can't dislike it. She won't let you.

2 hours ago, Hawmy said:

The Sixth Sense. Awesome film. This time I noticed how the color red corresponded with the ghosts. Pretty neat. 

21 minutes ago, Richard said:

...rather like the colour yellow means danger in JAWS.

9 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Or orange means imminent bloodshed in The Godfather.

Or teal and orange means bad colour grading in Michael Bay movies.

Punch-Drunk Love

Absolutely love it. Underrated gem, and one of his best. It's as close to perfection as these things get.

Interstellar

Gave this another try.  Saw it in the theaters and was underwhelmed to say the least.  I wanted to see if giving it some distance away from the hype would bring it into a different focus.

It didn't.  Still a huge missed opportunity to make this level of scientific depth something really interesting instead of the backdrop of a mediocre story.

Hush

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YWw5mGbeeeA/Vz9vzUzjxDI/AAAAAAAABAY/0cWKEIDnVDssjQprAIIdrHP9tB9UuEZXQCLcB/s1600/Screenshot%2B2016-05-20%2B13.08.42.png

Effective slasher-type movie that centers around a menace stalking and toying with a deaf writer who lives alone in relative seclusion.  Doesn't take long at all for things to get cooking, and it sprints to the end.

Was that the one with Sandra Bullock giving birth to George Clooney at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2?

But really, it is always disappointing when someone can't get into it.  They're missing out!

Westworld - had never seen all of this before and the launch of the TV series got me interested in doing so. Michael Crichton was certainly fond of 'cautionary tale' sci-fi, and so it proves here again. I guess the series will go into the robots becoming self-aware and all that in considerable depth, but in an 85-minute movie there's scant time for that stuff and they basically become killing machines to be stopped/avoided.

Nice to see that the effects hadn't dated too badly (the stuff with Yul Brynner's gunslinger especially still being quite effective).           

10 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Sad!

The churches are running empty, TGP. Nolan's departure from Fantasy (Dunkirk) will be the end of your little cult.