What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Arrival: 100% 

Universal consensus: Arrival delivers a must-see experience for fans of thinking person's sci-fi that anchors its heady themes with genuinely affecting emotion. - Rotten Tomatoes

It certainly looks like it, Steef!

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The churches are running empty, TGP. Nolan's departure from Fantasy (Dunkirk) will be the end of your little cult.

Or it may be its very salvation! Dunkirk shall herald the great Transfiguration of the Lord Nolan!

Sure, a few maniacs will believe Nolan has turned the ordinary war movie into something divine, but most will be lost and they will look for a new shepherd. 

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The churches are running empty, TGP. Nolan's departure from Fantasy (Dunkirk) will be the end of your little cult.

Your eagerness reeks of fear.  There is no need.  When you see the truth, you will be accepted warmly and your past will be forgiven. 

Halloween

John Carpenter's finest film. One could argue Big Trouble in Little China is more fun, but this film has aged beautifully. There's a beautiful sense of misdirection, slight-of-hand, and economically paced. Still quite suspenseful and the last 15 minutes seal the film's classic status. I can't wait to see it on the big screen later on this month.

Halloween II

The best thing I can say about the film is that it can be watched back-to-back with the original without a break. Rick Rosenthal does a great job picking up where John Carpenter left off (and visual continuity throughout is excellent due to Dean Cundey returning), but... wow, does the script stink. Jamie Lee Curtis' Laurie isn't the strong and resourceful heroine in the original film, Donald Pleasance has devolved into a crackpot old fool, while the newcomers are basically fodder for Michael's knife. It feels more like a Friday the 13th sequel due to the gore content (Rosenthal does capture some of the mise-en-scenes and individual scenes are suspenseful), and Alan Howarth's score is intrusive and vastly inferior to Carpenter's minimalist job on the first.

19 hours ago, Matt C said:

Halloween

John Carpenter's finest film. One could argue Big Trouble in Little China is more fun, but this film has aged beautifully. There's a beautiful sense of misdirection, slight-of-hand, and economically paced. Still quite suspenseful and the last 15 minutes seal the film's classic status. I can't wait to see it on the big screen later on this month.

Halloween II

The best thing I can say about the film is that it can be watched back-to-back with the original without a break. Rick Rosenthal does a great job picking up where John Carpenter left off (and visual continuity throughout is excellent due to Dean Cundey returning), but... wow, does the script stink. Jamie Lee Curtis' Laurie isn't the strong and resourceful heroine in the original film, Donald Pleasance has devolved into a crackpot old fool, while the newcomers are basically fodder for Michael's knife. It feels more like a Friday the 13th sequel due to the gore content (Rosenthal does capture some of the mise-en-scenes and individual scenes are suspenseful), and Alan Howarth's score is intrusive and vastly inferior to Carpenter's minimalist job on the first.

Am going myself to big-screen screenings of Hallowe'en on the 27th and the original Evil Dead on the 29th.  

I just started watching Empire of the Sun for the first time, and holy freakin' crap is it incredible. Judging by what I've seen so far (which, granted, isn't very much -- I'm waiting to finish until later because my mom was watching with me and she had to run some errands) this is by far my favorite Spielberg film. Stunningly haunting, and the fact that I'm a history buff adds to the intrigue. It looks like I will finally have an excuse to purchase the LLL. 

He's a Lucasite/Giacchinoite, though! How does he feel about Malick, Kubrick, Tarkovsky, Nolan, Zimmer, Newman, Shore? Only after these answers can he be considered for welcome.

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

He's a Lucasite/Giacchinoite, though! 

The folly of youth, he will grow out of it!

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

How does he feel about Malick, Kubrick, Tarkovsky, Nolan

Nolan? In that list?

*shakes head*

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I've given up on that job, because the messages are no longer happy ones, but instead words of doom: "Pope is writing the music for the last Hobbit film!", "Desplat out, Giacchino in for Rogue One!", "Zimmer is composing music for Batman AND Superman!", "Zimmer won the Oscar for Batman v Superman!", "Trump is President Of The United States Of America"

Long gone are the days of cheerful messages such as "Shore will get to score The Hobbit!", "Zimmer retires from the superhero genre", "The Tintin OST release will include Picking Pockets", "Hook will get an official complete release" and "Fury Road nominated for Best Picture"...

They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. Who shall gather the smoke of the deadwood burning, or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

ROTFLMAO

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

And he checks OSTs only by listening one or two tracks as Youtube videos.

And he loves trailer music.

Oh, and:

Yes, JWFANPro it is!

Sounds like NeoNeoJWFan to me!

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

And he checks OSTs only by listening one or two tracks as Youtube videos.

And he loves trailer music.

Oh, and:

Yes, JWFANPro it is!

This is the way that the present generation investigates, and listens to music. We should rejoice at JWfan that someone else has discovered film music, and is not just content to listen to all that loser-crap!

12 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

He's a Lucasite/Giacchinoite, though! How does he feel about Malick, Kubrick, Tarkovsky, Nolan, Zimmer, Newman, Shore? Only after these answers can he be considered for welcome.

Malick - Never seen any of his work.

Kubrick - I'm actually taking class -- which is really just watching movies; there's not much learning -- at school about his films. It meets once every two weeks. So far we've watched Dr. Strangelove, which I didn't really like, although it was okay, and we've started The Shining, which has been absolutely fantastic -- and terrifying -- thus far. I have a great deal of respect for Kubrick just based on that film.

Tarkovsky - No idea who that is.

Nolan - Watched Interstellar, I think that's it. It was a good movie, but I watched in quite a while ago. I've been meaning to see it again. I think I'll like it more. 

Zimmer - Not very familiar with his work, but Interstellar was fantastic. 

Newman - I assume you mean Thomas Newman? Well, Bridge of Spies was great. I've also heard a little of Saving Mr. Banks which was great.

Shore - I've essentially never heard any of his work, but I have complete edits of all six LOTR/Hobbit scores that hopefully I'll be able to dig into at some point soon. 

OK. Film tips #1

Malick: you need to watch BADLANDS, and possibly DAYS OF HEAVEN, because it looks beautiful.

Kubrick: stick with DR. STRANGELOVE; it really is a good movie. Everyone-everyone- must see 2001, before they die. Nuff said. BARRY LYNDON is achingly beautiful.

Tarkovsky: watch SOLYARIS, now! Check-out STALKER, and MIRROR.

Nolan: watch THE PRESTIGE, INSOMNIA, and MEMENTO. Avoid any BATMAN shit.

Zimmer: avoid.

Newman: AMERICAN BEAUTY should be on every serious film-music fan's I-pod, as should THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.

Shore: 

LOTR is good; THE FLY is better.