What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Edited?

Pretty much just cussing.I don't think anything was skipped, just some muted portions.

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's very unusual for a JWfanner not to like The Shawshank Redemption. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to watch this movie while sitting in a room filled with testosterone. If you and your roommates get back together again, watch Mad Max: Fury Road or something.

Alex - Movie adviser

Liked was the wrong word. I was invested in the movie, and admit that it was incredibly well made, but I don't really have a desire to watch it again or anything. It didn't really leave an impression on me.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

ALIEN, THE THING, and DRACULA (1979) are three more.

Definitely Alien:

By having a relatively slight (but still thrilling) plot buttressed by an incredible sense of atmosphere and immersion, Scott made Alien one of the least wearying movies ever made. It is suffused with beauty and (perhaps counterintuitively) a soothing tranquility. It's an incredible film. - Dr Citrus

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Changeling. Sickening. Why did I watch that?

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Explain?

Could be this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Changeling_(1980_film)

Or this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling_(film)

That right, Richard. Artistically speaking, especially on a visual level, I believe Alien is practically on a par with 2001: A Space Odyssey. Oh, but wait, I forgot, you think 2001 is artistically inept and that it should be erased from our history, right? See, it's all subjective. Personally, I think 2001 can be only be viewed from artistic perspective. Don't watch it like you would with The Three Musketeers, but watch it in the same way an art expert examines a Rembrandt. Personally I never heard anybody hold Dracula in the same esteem as Alien, let alone 2001: ASO. Again, it's all subjective. 

After all the posts we've had together? 

Et tu, Alex?

2001 is one of the greatest films ever made. Period. I have thought that since I first saw it, in 1968, then in 1978, on TV, on DVD, in a pristine 70mm print, in 2001, six months later, in a 35mm reduction, and now on Blu ray.

I don't hold DRACULA in the same esteem, as ALIEN, but I appreciate that it has some great  production values.

Personally, I love both THE THREE MUSKETEERS, and THE FOUR MUSKETEERS :D

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The best horror movies are the ones I want to rewatch long after their ability to scare fades.  The truly artistically interesting ones.  Halloween is definitely one.

Hmm ... there were things I clearly let slide the first time I saw it years ago, because this time round I was all *Erm, hold on ... *. Like Michael apparently being incarcerated at a secure facility that teaches its inmates to drive (Pleasance's half-explanatory line about same doesn't really cut it, I'm afraid). And the amount of time that Pleasance spends just standing watching the old Myers house.     

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Is there anything that you don't love, Richard?

There's a lot that I don't love - ALIEN RESURRECTION; gross-out comedies; fascism; neo-spiritualism; liver casserole; the collected works of Michael Bay; Matt Smith as The Doctor - but I try to see something good in all art.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Who?

I'm listening to TOMMY, as I post this.

Watched Batman v Superman about three times since buying it the other day. I was lukewarm about it after seeing it in the cinema, but it's growing on me the more I see it. Batman's indiscriminate murder spree propels it upward.

24 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

I was lukewarm about it after seeing it in the cinema, but it's growing on me the more I see it. 

Some of us are just a bit slower, Drax. Today Titus is probably being seen upon as a masterpiece but back then I was the only one who loved it. 

I'm just glad Superman has finally been given a new visual identity. For too long so much Superman related live action media had been piggy backing from Donnerverse aesthetics, like Smallville and Superman Returns. Whether it was Kryptonian crystal-based technology or even Williams' score, I got sick of seeing and hearing it. Then this Snyder fella comes along and gives it a much needed revitalisation. I'm developing a deeper respect for his creative eye.

13 hours ago, Richard said:

After all the posts we've had together? 

Et tu, Alex?

2001 is one of the greatest films ever made.

Trivia from my tenure reserves: when Cremers first watched "2001" he didn't get all the fuss. It went over his head, as admitted here a few years back. Now that he decided he enjoys it of course, it has become a darling benchmark - ready to deploy as an instrument for personal elevation and critical integrity when it is necessary to be impressive on the internet.

Quintus - selective memory bastard

Blade Runner

First time, and I was not impressed. The pacing was so slow. I couldn't hear what they were saying a lot of the time because of the background noise. The only reason I new what was going on is because I read the book a couple months ago. The symbolism made no sense. Having read the book, I understand what the animals were supposed to represent, but that was so underrepresented it was practically nonexistent. The unicorn scene made no sense whatsoever, and was honestly kind of off putting. Also, Deckard's a human.

I don't mind Armies of Darkness, but I remember being hugely disappointed with the change of direction at the time, when I was a young teen.

Which reminds me... I've still got to watch the TV show.

I watched the Iron Giant for probably the fifth time this afternoon, but it was with the children for the first time and they loved it. Of course they did: the ET template has that sort of enduring appeal. Brad Bird's film is every bit the cult classic as opposed to the worldwide celebrated Spielberg original of course, but gem masterpieces are found hidden from time to time, and this timeless animation is one of them.

Also saw The Big Short. Nearly turned it off after fifteen minutes but stuck it out and was glad to have done by the end. Very well done and just really bloody depressing. I've really come around to Ryan Gosling, after this and the Russell Crowe movie they did together. 

Twilight Zone: The Movie

It's generally enjoyable. The first episode is too dark and leaves a bad taste. Spielberg's is alright, although the scene of all the old folks laughing is as embarrassing as Spielberg gets. But, man, does that Goldsmith score save it. The third episode is typical Dante (you know what I mean?) and the weird visuals and sfx are effective to this day. Of course, most people think Miller's remake of "Nightmare" is the best of the lot. It's a fun ride, for sure.