What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Gentlemen Broncos

This movie had some really funny parts, but it wasn't super great. No clue why it has 18% on Rotten Tomatoes though. I would expect it to be more around 40ish. It was also pretty weird that it was filmed like ten minutes from my house.

19 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't think it ever fully convinces me, but there's a lot about it that I like. The part where all the murder plot strains come together, especially the cinematography and editing, seem very De Palma-ish to me.

To me, because it's so story-driven, it feels like Spielberg's most Nolan-esque movie. I too wasn't convinced. I see the scenes but I didn't really believe in it.

Funny that you should say that because the climax with the baddy doing bad things on the general monitor so everyone could see how bad he is was the movie's low point, IMO.

Night at the Museum 2. I was afraid the sequel might not be worth it, but it really was good. And an excellent score again as well! Silvestri used the Far and Away theme twice in the finelae (unwittingly, I imagine). Also, what kind of dialect does Ameia Earheart have?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Isn't that the final proof, of how Precrime...didn't work (that, and Lemar's suicide)?

Yes. That's why PreCrime is immediately disbanded and all who were arrested under its system are released (even the ones who premeditated their murders - there's a few potholes in this film...).

Godzilla (1998) 1:85:1 TV broadcast version

It's a surreal experience taking in this film featuring so many Sony Trinitrons on a Sony Trinitron from 1998. There's a scene where the camera closes in on a model similar to my own and you're literally viewing the image of a Sony Trinitron in 1998 on a Sony Trinitron from 1998. It's so meta! Highly recommended.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

It's the greatest action/adventure flick of all time.

On 12/9/2016 at 3:30 PM, bollemanneke said:

Notes on a scandal.

It was eitehr that one or the Green Zone, but apparently this one was better. And how captivating it was too... I really don't understand what he fuss is all about, it's not a bad story, but other than that... Incidentally, Judi Dench has such an unattractive voice.

As for the score, I suspected I wouldn't like it and was not disappointed. Overscored, too much focus on the dramatic part and not on the romance, and repetitive too.

Both film and score are brilliant!

Hook kicked off my (late) Christmas marathon. I still love it, despite the flaws inherent (which, deleted segments released on the 25th Anniversary bluray could have rectified.) This movie just oozes charm, and is a very feel good movie. Speilberg can hate it all he wants, but it is definitely much better than clunkers like 1941 and Terminal. The score is top notch - obviously-, and I am revisiting the music again after 3 years off (I take time in between my favorites, and it makes it even better listening and much more rich.) I do truly hope for an expanded-expanded re-release, there's so much great music left off the LLLR album. 

3 hours ago, Score_Fan said:

Hook kicked off my (late) Christmas marathon. I still love it, despite the flaws inherent (which, deleted segments released on the 25th Anniversary bluray could have rectified.) This movie just oozes charm, and is a very feel good movie. Speilberg can hate it all he wants, but it is definitely much better than clunkers like 1941 and Terminal. The score is top notch - obviously-, and I am revisiting the music again after 3 years off (I take time in between my favorites, and it makes it even better listening and much more rich.) I do truly hope for an expanded-expanded re-release, there's so much great music left off the LLLR album. 

What's this now?

Jodorowsky's Dune.

Ehhh. His vision for Dune doesn't really seem correct to me. Also, the claim that it would have replaced Star Wars as the first major blockbuster doesn't really make sense to me. A major part of Star Wars's success was the fact that it was a family friendly film. Jodorowsky's vision for Dune might have been groundbreaking, but it hardly seemed to be intended for a family audience. I did like the sequence at the end showing all the movies that may have taken inspiration from Jodorowsky's Dune. It was pretty neat.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

What's this now?

Sony had listings for a 25th anniversary edition of the bluray online (nothing new, just an added digital code + cover art), which has now either been pushed back or shelved (seen here:)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hook-Blu-ray/162217/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hook-Blu-ray/160823/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hook-25th-anniversary-edition-includes-digital-copy-ultraviolet-blu-ray-1991/32085833.p?skuId=32085833

But I was saying if the deleted scenes from the movie were on it - even as special features, which they sadly haven't been, it would help the movie. They re-edited the whole thing, and there is a TON of cut footage from it. I'm not the guy who runs Hook-Movie.com, however, I am a huge fan and know of the movie's history. I have still images of deleted scenes from the trading cards set I own, and other promo materials i've seen online / purchased haha.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

How would they help the movie?

IMO, there's alot of good stuff. A whole day of Neverland was actually excised from the movie. We'd cut back to captive Maggie on the Jolly Roger, being the Wendy of the story, persay with captured Lost Boys on the ship - opposed to her just disappearing for most of the movie. More character development for Peter turning to Pan or more appropriately his difficulty in doing so - "Peter. Believe your eyes. Believe in fairies, and lost boys. Find one pure, innocent happy thought and hold onto it." The lost boys do mention Rufio at the final battle as well - and ask where he is, and the older ones tell them he died, opposed to "ok well that's that" with Rufio. More of Hook convincing Jack, with the added explanation most people seem to gloss over - that Neverland makes you forget, which is somewhat lost in the movie. There's a few more, mainly time Peter spends with Lost Boys to try to jog his memory, but yeah.

8 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Jodorowsky's Dune.

Ehhh. His vision for Dune doesn't really seem correct to me. Also, the claim that it would have replaced Star Wars as the first major blockbuster doesn't really make sense to me. A major part of Star Wars's success was the fact that it was a family friendly film. Jodorowsky's vision for Dune might have been groundbreaking, but it hardly seemed to be intended for a family audience. I did like the sequence at the end showing all the movies that may have taken inspiration from Jodorowsky's Dune. It was pretty neat.

The only real problem with his version of Dune is that it really hasn't anything to do with the book(s). Visually it's beautiful, breathtaking even; but there's no real reason to call it Dune.

It could be called anything else and it wouldn't change anything. 

Lynch's Dune is extremely flawed, but it at least has *something* to do with the source material.

I agree that getting to see the Hook deleted scenes would be amazing, and would like the see an extended version with them put back in.

Thanks for the tip about the 25th anniversary edition Blu Ray!

2 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

The only real problem with his version of Dune is that it really hasn't anything to do with the book(s). Visually it's beautiful, breathtaking even; but there's no real reason to call it Dune.

It could be called anything else and it wouldn't change anything. 

Lynch's Dune is extremely flawed, but it at least has *something* to do with the source material.

Lynch and Gibbs did a remarkable job in editing a 4-hour film to 134 minutes, and still preserve continuity. DUNE really isn't as confusing as a lot of people make it out to be.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Lynch and Gibbs did a remarkable job in editing a 4-hour film to 134 minutes ...

You can feel that. Some 'chapters' feel rushed and lack foundation. A lot of people said if should have been three movies instead of one and I agree with that.

If DUNE was turned into three films, it might be better, but, judging by the BO, they might have been the three least successful films of all time.

Unfortunately, Lynch disowns it, and Tony Gibbs is no longer with us (checkout his dynamic work on RONIN!), so...we'll never know.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

I agree that getting to see the Hook deleted scenes would be amazing, and would like the see an extended version with them put back in.

Thanks for the tip about the 25th anniversary edition Blu Ray!

It may not have been cancelled, but definitely pushed back...which sucks.

On 16-12-2016 at 7:16 PM, Richard said:

If DUNE was turned into three films, it might be better, but, judging by the BO, they might have been the three least successful films of all time.

Not "might", it would have been better! And therefore the movie would have received better reviews and a more positive word of mouth. Okay, maybe another director would have helped too. If Dune was a trilogy directed by George Lucas, then it could have done financially as well as Star Wars

Ridley Scott wanted to do Dune because it was very much Star Wars to him. In fact, he initially turned down Blade Runner for it.

Rare footage of the people who worked on Dune filmed by Sean Young.

X-Men: Apocalypse

Watchable. Rather slow story, but I like that, and it incorporates Ancient Egypt. Of course, once again the climax is too much of everything. I don't like how the new Mystique has become a Katniss kind of character. There's virtually nothing mystique about her at all. Also, Magneto's change of heart at the end of the movie is as radical as Batman's "Wait a minute, your mom's name is Martha too?!" 5/10

x-men-apocalypse-192_mk_1080_v14231197_r

"Hmm, I shall sneak away unnoticed so people are going to speculate what I will do in the next X-Men instalment."

Richard, Lynch himself has said that he wasn't the right man for Dune and that it was too big a production for him. Unlike his smaller films, Lynch couldn't oversee every aspect.  And yes, then there's Dino, who also can be a pain in the a$$.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

In almost every X-Men movie, there's always the same pattern: Magneto wants to do something bad, Xavier convinces him not to do it/manages to stop him, and Magneto throws some ominous line at the end: "I didn't do it this time, but will you be able to stop me next time?". It's an annoying aspect of those films.

Hehehe... So true!

Then there's the stolen concept of the mutant who steels and who is able to amplify powers (two ideas from Heroes).

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Directed by George Lucas

Starring Liam Neeson, Jake Lloyd, Kiera Knightley and Jar Jar Binks

It was exactly the brainless sci-fi/fantasy popcorn entertainment with spaceships, lasers and stellar music by John Williams I expect from a Star Wars film.