What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

And what about my question? Is it better than the Rogue One score?

Remember, I can't really rank things.

I enjoy both; that's about all I can say. 

The only right answer is that Goldsmith is and Will always be better than Giacchino.

3 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

I loved it. This movie is almost as bashed as President Trump. It's really an odd thing because it was fairly well-received at the time it was released, which wasn't that long ago.

I can assure you that it was not well-received at the time it was released.

Still, I don't know. Something fishy happened in the last 10 years and there's been a very obvious shift in the popular opinion of Star Wars fans. I attribute this to the Red Letter Media reviews and Disney's restructuring of the franchise to be OT-centric and essentially phase out the prequels. I won't have any of it, though.

This movie is the real deal. It is smart, beautiful (god digital photography is the glory and the future of the world of film, the palette is strikingly dramatically colorful), thrilling and electrical. Essentially it is a pure action adventure science fiction fantasy with a touch of romance. Line up now. This Star Wars is for real.

From that Ain't it Cool review. Indeed, this is quite glowing, to say the least, @Rose Dawson

38 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

Something fishy happened in the last 10 years and there's been a very obvious shift in the popular opinion of Star Wars fans. I attribute this to the Red Letter Media reviews and Disney's restructuring of the franchise to be OT-centric and essentially phase out the prequels.

The prequels had a deservedly bad reputation long before Disney came on board.

On 2/25/2017 at 3:50 PM, bollemanneke said:

Amazing that Spielberg made Hook the same year.

Hook was released in December 1991, then Jurassic Park in June 1993, then Schindler's List in December 1993.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

I loved it. Now, I really don't understand the hate this one gets. It's a solid flick. It's my favorite of the Episode movies. It tells a good story (the best one, really, turning to the dark side because of love), the performances are a quantum leap above the previous one (especially Hayden and Natalie--the latter seemed to just be collecting a paycheck for something she was contractually obligated to do in AOTC), McDiarmid is hamming it up brilliantly, the score is fantastic, it has the highest number of onscreen deaths in Star Wars and it's massively quotable. I love the homage to Titanic when General Grievous' ship launches all the escape pods, breaks in two and then plunges into the planet.

She was fairly good in Sith, though. I'm not sure what happened there. She was barely serviceable and occasionally atrocious in the other ones, so I'm always taken aback when I watch this one.

"Nooooo!" was one of the first big internet memes. These days, all people do on the internet is post memes. George Lucas revolutionized the internet just as he did film.

20 hours ago, Richard said:

Ok, guys, enough time had passed, and I think I can safely offer my thoughts on MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, without breaking out in hives.

It's very...wait...oh, no...excuse me (runs to bathroom, and retches). Sorry, peeps, can't do this, right now.

I don't think it's that bad, really. If anything, it's nice to look at.

Young woman grows up in poverty but rises to fame and fortune, while seeking the love of the man who stole her heart?

Did The Last Emperor have anything like that?

It's impressing visuals has led you to see more in the film than there actually is, Alex.

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't think it's that bad, really. If anything, it's nice to look at.

It's an impressive looking movie that's far more melodramatic and soapy than it had to be. Not necessarily awful, but didn't do justice to the book.

Bone Tomahawk - might return to this one day, but on Saturday night I gave up after half-an-hour. A horror-western starring Kurt Russell sounds like it should be an entertaining 90-minute B-movie-ish romp, but the running time of this is 2 hrs 5 mins and judging by the slowness of that first half-hour they seem to think they've made Unforgiven or something. The cover has a review snippet that calls it 'action-packed' ... umm, not going by the first 30 minutes it ain't.

Cooties - more like it. A fun comedy-horror with Elijah Wood, Rainn Wilson and Jack McBrayer in which an infected chicken nugget causes a virus to spread through an elementary school that turns the children into flesh-eating savages.