What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

On 4/29/2017 at 2:15 AM, publicist said:

but 90% is just mood mongering with long-held chords of a monotonous string ensemble that hardly move anywhere 

I admire the film, in parts, but this was the fundamental problem with it as a whole. Impressive, but at some point, it just becomes monotonous in how much it exploits its style and mood. The score is partially responsible for that, yes.

Passengers

177133H1.jpg

Passengers_ES_MovieStill9.jpg?itok=0tvKZ

The Shining Passengers

The first act (Pratt alone) was entertaining.

The second act (Lawrence & Pratt) was still okay.

The third act (the boring disaster movie part) ruined it.

5/10

Alex

The Interview

The film that nearly brought Sony Pictures to its knees, i.e. the North Korean hacking. It's not really that funny or provocative, it's just... there. Seth Rogen and James Franco are more irritating than Kim Jong-un. You'd figure with the hullaballoo regarding its release, it would be funnier or more incendiary... but no. 

Well the hullabaloo was regarding North Korea's terorrist threats and demands against theatrical distribution, not the film itself. 

Some parts are funny, others not so much. My favorite dictator comedies remain Hot Shots! Part Deux and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. 

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Well the hullabaloo was regarding North Korea's terorrist threats and demands against theatrical distribution, not the film itself. 

Some parts are funny, others not so much. My favorite dictator comedies remain Hot Shots! Part Deux and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. 

That is the bees' knees. It's not as well-paced as the original, but damn is it funny! Saddam fusing with his Yorkie, a la Terminator 2, is one of the most random and funniest parts of the film.

Started watching Tomorrowland but stopped after 46 minutes. Boring. Looks like a very uninspired and overlong commercial for Disneyland.

Karol

Me too. Like it (I do) or not, but I don't think you can deny that Brad Bird poured a lot of heart into it. And that carries over to the score, too, which is one of Giacchino's most joyful.

Hellboy

If I had watched this another time I probably would have enjoyed it much more, but right now I'm really not sure what I think of it. I think I liked it.

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Me too. Like it (I do) or not, but I don't think you can deny that Brad Bird poured a lot of heart into it. And that carries over to the score, too, which is one of Giacchino's most joyful.

Indeed. The film isn't flawless, but it's very good. 

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Started watching Tomorrowland but stopped after 46 minutes. Boring. Looks like a very uninspired and overlong commercial for Disneyland.

Karol

I think I stopped watching that after 5 minutes.

Last night, I watched an absolute classic film, that is, by chance, celebrating its 40th anniversary, this year.

Filmed with a cast of - largely - unknowns, it became a touchstone for a generation, spawned many imitators, and helped to propel at least one its male stars to worldwide fame - a situation which exists to this very day. Its influence is still being felt around the world, and, like many films worthy of attention, it was regarded as a game-changer, in the way that films were made. It's a film about love and loss, triumph, and tragedy, and a belief in oneself, and one's potential.

I like it.

Drive -  moody and stylish, with sudden bursts of wince-making ultra-violence. Great cast, too. 

Ultimately felt more like a film to admire rather than like, though. 

(I know it's 6 years old, but I'd never gotten around to it before and it was on the iPlayer).  

6 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I liked Drive to an extent. Hated The Neon Demon though. 

I liked the performances. Gosling and Brooks were both fantastic.  And I enjoyed the music.  It's definitely the closest he's come to making a great movie.

God I hated that Mads Mikkelsen Viking movie he made.

The imitation game.

Oh, my goodness. I don't even know where to start.

Okay, I'll start where one should start. The music. After the obligatory logos had passed, the score immediately started out with glorious piano notes. Alexandre Desplat clearly wanted only one thing: to tell us a story. And oh, did he succeed. This was one of those rare films that I would have liked even if it had been horrible because of the excellent music. But at that time, the truly spectacular main theme hadn't announced itself yet. The rest of the score was slightly more subtle, but I'll probably remember this one forever. I always thought Desplat overuses the piano, but from now on I'll shelve that objection.

The film itself is also fantastic. It was nice to finally hear what Cumberbatch really sounds like as I'm only familiar with him impersonating Smaug in The Hobbit. And saying that Keira Knightley was brilliant would be stating the obvious.

Great film. Not long, but it doesn't have to be to tell its moving story.

Eat Pray Love.

Well, I suppose it was all right. Why does Julia Roberts always star in bad or mediocre movies, though?

The biggest problem this film had was pacing. She wants to go to Italy: bam, she's in Italy. She crowdfunds for a poor lady: bam, the lady gets $18,000, no questions asked, happy happy happy. Also, I didn't really get her love troubles. Guy number one wants to study so she ditches him, guy number two does something I don't even know that upsets her, guy number three has a cute Spanish accent, proposes, is rejected and later accepted...? I did like Richard Jenkins -- Groceries is a really funny nickname to give someone -- and he moved me more than anyone else.

The score was okay. I liked how it changed every time she travels to another country.

Overall, it's a mediocre movie and if you just want to empty your mind on a Friday night, it'll do the job.

My dad is watching The Phantom Menace this morning. I need brain bleach everytime Jar-Jar or Jake Lloyd are on screen.

Actually glad Lucas sold his company to Disney. I dread what the sequel films would've been had he been onboard.