What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

@Alexcremers Are you referring to the Jane Eyre film that was broadcast in Belgium yesterday evening? That's the 2011 film, superior in every way to the 1970 crap I endured.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

@Alexcremers Are you referring to the Jane Eyre film that was broadcast in Belgium yesterday evening? That's the 2011 film, superior in every way to the 1970 crap I endured.

It was not superior in every way...

4 hours ago, Richard said:

She was great...as always :)

Actually, she was Ed Lauter's wife.

I like the use of harmonica to signify both Corky, and the unhinging of Hopkins.

As Corky says to her 'Your breasts should be in the Louvre' .,, and judging by the eyeful we get of 'em during the love scene, he's not wrong :beerchug: .      

14 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The film was apparently so succesful too that I didn't manage to find Dutch or English subtitles on any website, but luckily the dialogue was understandable

Aren't you blind? What you need subtitles for?

Correction: It was better in every way minus the score, though Marianneli's effort is very effective.

As for subtitles: I watch films on my computer connected to surround sound speakers. I use subtitles in case I miss something in the dialogue, but mainly to see how they translate things.

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom - while it's not nearly as good as Raiders, and at times overtly and unnecessarily gruesome, it's still great fun.

25 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom - while it's not nearly as good as Raiders, and at times overtly and unnecessarily gruesome, it's still great fun.

Brilliant rollercoaster ride of a movie!

5 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

And it has a built-in rollercoaster ride too.

It's why Indiana Jones and Donkey Kong are forever linked in my brain since I was small. :P 

58 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

I prefer it (and The Last Crusade) to Raiders.  

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Hehehe... There's definitely a connection there.

For me, Diddy Kong's Quest is forever linked to Hook in my brain (for obvious reasons)!

Never found the filmic equivalent of Dixie Kong's Double Trouble, though.

Superman III?

MV5BNTE2Nzg1NjkzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTgy

Good thriller/horror with creepy and funny moments, and with a fairly different premise. I love it when a director is able to grab my attention from the very first scene. I'm not very familiar with main actor Daniel Kaluuya but he proves that he can carry a movie with ease. Recommended! 7/10 (RT: 99%)

Alex

The Witch.

They're making these moody supernatural horror films like this and The Babadook lately and people are lauding them as masterpieces when they're really not.

This movie could have been good if the family was anything resembling likable. But the kids are arseholes and the parents are superstitious lunatics. The domestic disputes made this an ordeal to watch, about as nauseating as the pilot episode of American Horror Story, which was nothing but people shouting at each other. I almost felt relieved for the eldest daughter at the end as if she was liberated from all that dysfunction.

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Brilliant film, and a striking historical depiction of brutally difficult life in New England. 

Yeah it does all that accurately, I guess. But accuracy alone doesn't necessarily make for a compelling movie that isn't a chore to watch.

We're all different aren't we. I found the gradual breakdown of the family under the increasing terror of overwhelming paranoia to be very compelling. 

I really need to see The Witch.  I love films that take place in pre-Civil War America, and especially pre-Independence America.  There are surprisingly very, very few of them.

It came to Germany as 'The Vvitch' which made it awfully hard to find it. But yeah, it's a wonderfully unique movie that feels like mirror into a different century. It's a family portrait with a supernatural spin (even if we cannot be sure about that) and more importantly, about religious mores and human foibles. It's 'The Village' done right - just without a great score to support it.

30 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It wasn't really a case of whether I liked them or not. I found their way of life interesting and their situation compelling. Seriously dude, what is it with you? Try harder not to sound like a fucking vegetable. 

It's still a boring movie that people praise just to look smarter than everyone else.