What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Watch it with Disney's English dub and there are no subtitles!

I don't Nausicaa's english dub. And it's getting to the point where I could watch it in japanese w/out the subs and be totally fine.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh yes!  Takahata is wonderful!  Grave of the Fireflies left me a twitching puddle on the floor.  I really liked Only Yesterday as well.  I own the blurays for Pom Poko and The Tale of Princess Kaguya but just haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

If there's more like that out there, stuff that doesn't have the usual risible cliches of anime, I'm totally game to give them a shot.

Have you seen Cowboy Bebop? That's pretty good. Plus the english dub is great.

Warcraft: The Beginning: A film that seems to have been made exclusively for the fans of the games is awkwardly scripted with a clunky cliche-filled plot, paper thin characters and entirely disinterested performances. The CG orcs are actually more expressive than the live action actors but can you really blame them when they probably had to act against a green screen creatures and backdrops in most scenes. The only impressive thing is the CG orcs. And the sugar coating is the drumming dull score by Ramin Djawadi which is all this flick really deserved.

Inferno: The third and certainly the worst Dan Brown film adaptation with a more absurd than normal plot and sleep walking actors in a hectic yet awfully tedious exposition-on-the-run plotline. While the previous two weren't cinematic marvels by a long shot they were much more entertaining as this time Ron Howard seemed to be there just cash in the paycheck. Even Hans Zimmer could not be bothered to elevate this one but follows the muddled suspense from discreet distance with his sound design.

I am watching the classiest stuff, am I not? ;)

40 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'm trying to get my head around why you guys would want to watch a World of Warcraft movie in the first place. It looks ghastly!

I watched it with a friend, who is a big fan of the games. And on my part out of simple curiosity.

Two action classics: 48 Hrs. and Another 48 Hrs., one after the other. Still like and enjoy both! Great performances by Murphy and Nolte and I also really like Andrew Divoff's villain (Cherry Ganz) in the second movie.

18 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

And because it's Fantasy, of course.

Not fantastic though.

I plan on watching Paterson very soon, but as of now here is

The Official Disco Stu Ranking of Jim Jarmusch

1. Down by Law

2. Broken Flowers

3. Mystery Train

4. Only Lovers Left Alive

5. Stranger Than Paradise

6. Ghost Dog

7. Dead Man

8. Coffee and Cigarettes

9. Night on Earth

10. The Limits of Control

11. Permanent Vacation

PSA: Jarmusch is one of the directors for me like Wes Anderson or Woody Allen, where I find value in watching everything they've ever done.

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I always forget that's a Jim Jarmusch movie. Probably my favorite one of his.

It's amazing.  The first time I really sat up and noticed Jeffrey Wright as a great actor too.  Later I saw 1999's Ride With the Devil, one of my favorite Ang Lee movies and Wright is the best part of it.

22 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I tend to like Mike Leigh and indeed older Woody Allen work, more for that sort of thing (Naked, Secrets and Lies).

Wow. NAKED is an absolute rant! Thewlis is phenomenal in that.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's amazing.  The first time I really sat up and noticed Jeffrey Wright as a great actor too.  Later I saw 1999's Ride With the Devil, one of my favorite Ang Lee movies and Wright is the best part of it.

Jeffrey Wright. He's a brother from Langley :). He's also a brilliant actor. Try BASQUIAT, or his star-turn in ANGELS IN AMERICA. 

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

he was terrific in Angels in America, I thought

16 minutes ago, Romão said:

he was terrific in Angels in America, I thought

25 minutes ago, Richard said:

his star-turn in ANGELS IN AMERICA. 

Yes!  Which I also saw after Broken Flowers and fell in love with.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

The Fury. Picked up the Arrow Video Blu-ray today. Watching now.

Karol

3 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

I've had the Australian Shock Entertainment release for five years but I haven't watched it yet.

It has a nice iso score, and John Cassavetes comes to a brilliant end (filmed twice!).

8 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

I've had the Australian Shock Entertainment release for five years but I haven't watched it yet.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

It has a nice iso score, and John Cassavetes comes to a brilliant end (filmed twice!).

The film itself is, of course, ludicrous. And doesn't really hold together that well. But De Palma's films tend to be really watchable no matter their quality. He's an extremely skilled filmmaker and you can't help but marvel at his camera work etc. And that score. It really gets to shine at various points as all the sound effects in crucial points were dialled out (Coming Down the Stairs and Gillian's Escape). It made me appreciate this great score even more.

The release itself is really nice. It has some good extras and this isolated score track is nice to have. I was told that Twilight Time people were quite unhappy it was even included but it seems the pair of European releases made their set obsolete. The picture transfer looks quite nice as well. And there are some really good extras included. It is a winner.

Karol - who also bought Arrow's Obsession and will watch it soon.

Muriel's Wedding.

At first, I thought I wasn't going to like it. Then, I began to enjoy the incredibly cute and juicy Australian accents, but the stupidity of Muriel's marriage obsession quickly started to annoy me and the fact that she even loved a fake marriage is totally absurd. The film also had some severe pacing problems and you just know that the audio description is bad when you suddenly realise that the person you thought had cancer doesn't have cancer at all (the fact that the two protagonists' voices were sometimes interchangable didn't help either). Also, what kind of a mother is totallly okay with the fact that her daughter taking all the family's money? The only thing I really found entertaining about the whole story was the father's romance with Deidre and Rhonda was really cool too, about the only normal person in this entire movie. Oh look, now Muriel's mother died. How tragic. What's going to be next, will Rhonda give the remaining stupid characters a smack and ask the director why this film was released to the public? Oh no, hang on, the fake lovers have to fall in love first. No, wait, they're breaking up and Muriel who was Mariel just became Muriel again. Oh, for the love of God, this has to be the worst film I've ever seen. Even The Last Airbender was better!

The score mostly consisted of aimless chords, but there was one exception: an ABBA song arranged for synth choir, but some chords could definitely have been better. All the songs made me feel pretty nostalgic, though.

I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind tonight and these days there are two things about the film that standout: the still barnstorming light show of the wondrous finale, and the extraordinary scenes of domestic life, often shown from the perspective of the children to raw, noisy and utterly realistic effect. Wrap it all up in a slow yet taut seventies thriller so very typical of the era, and you have an irrefutable classic of a film which holds up to modern scrutiny.

The print needs work though. The blu-ray retains the grain of the original and that's okay, but there's a whole lot of other noise in the image at times, some of it composite artifacts, some not, and that should really have been cleaned up during the last remaster.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2

11058_4.jpg

It's what the trailer says ... More spectacle but not as good as Vol.1!

6/10

Bronson

bronson-movie-poster-2009-1010519080.jpg

Tom Hardy is truly incredible in this early Refn movie. For the haters, it's not a typical overly stylized Refn flick, so give it a shot.

7/10

Alex

A Perfect Murder.

What a great film this was. Michael Douglas really sounded young in this one, or maybe I just misremembered his voice, or it might just have been the PAL speed-up. Not sure whether I'm happy with how things ended, but I'll learn to live with that.

The score will probably not work very well on album, but boy, did it work in the movie! I literally sat on the edge of my chair during every cue (and there were a lot of them).

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

After watching the series Feud, I had to revisit this. Knowing all the behind the scenes mayhem, you instantly forget about all that because the director and the two leads make it all seamless and gripping.

Joan is terrific as the aging Hollywood has-been (I think she had more of a strong sense of self irony than subsequent depictions of her would lead you to believe). But Bette almost jumps out of the screen, grabs you by the scruff of the neck, plants a bunker buster down your throat and barks for your unwavering attention until she sets off the detonator in the finale -- in other words, one of the most amazingly mind-blowing performances I've seen by an actress.

Keeping Up With the Joneses

I don't normally venture into the spy comedy genre, but the female star power drew me in. Gal Gadot shows off her sleek figure and Mrs Borat has a few scenes where her big, beautiful gargantuan juggernauts are prominent. Funny movie too!

Obsession. Another Arrow release I got. The transfer looks quite nice as well. The film itself is a bit overwrought and yeah, it feels like 1970's remake of Vertigo. I have no idea what to think of it and how it "resolves" - it's so emotionally confusing and disturbing. But it also feels more understated than most films of Brian De Palma, except perhaps for the extremely dominant and ever-present score. It gives the film a mystical vibe but, I think, they overspotted it a bit.

Karol

The Drop - solid 'heist-gone-wrong' crime drama with Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace and (in what was to be his last movie) James Gandolfini.

Dream House - tbh, I nodded off about halfway through this creepy thriller with Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz (a combo of being 46, having a few beers and the film not starting on BBC1 until 11:30 I guess, lol). But it's now on the iPlayer, so I'll give it another go some night.    

The Accountant

Ben Affleck looks like the Angry Video Game Nerd in some scenes. Essentially Rain Man as an action hero. What was Anna Kendrick's character doing here? She served no purpose.

Mr Brooks

Nice to see Kevin Costner branch out a bit. Reminds me of Gregory Peck or Laurence Olivier taking more sinister roles in the 70s. Some confusing story beats and a cop out ending, but decent entertainment value.

Now, Voyager

For 1942, this was a bold condemnation of the status quo stigma attached to mental illness and being a 'spinster'.

Although Bette Davis effortlessly reminds you that she was probably the most talented Hollywood actress of her day, the script is a frustrating disappointment how it skips some of the most compelling elements. We're introduced to Bette as an uglified recluse who's had a nervous breakdown as a result of the persistent emotional abuse from her controlling wench of a mother... then two scenes later, she's a beautiful, confident glamour woman (in a shot that probably inspired Rose's introductory shot in Titanic)! Oh come on, the film robs us of the best concept - witnessing the process of Bette's transformation, which would have added weight to her later role in the film as mentor. You don't just get over shit like that. Then she's romancing Paul Henreid, growing a spine to defy her old hag, hosting parties, etc.

But finally, it delivers on its promise for more intimate emotional intrigue when everything comes full circle.

On 21/08/2017 at 11:51 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

The Drop - solid 'heist-gone-wrong' crime drama with Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace and (in what was to be his last movie) James Gandolfini.

Dream House - tbh, I nodded off about halfway through this creepy thriller with Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz (a combo of being 46, having a few beers and the film not starting on BBC1 until 11:30 I guess, lol). But it's now on the iPlayer, so I'll give it another go some night.    

I rewatched Dream House ... seem to remember Jim Sheridan, Craig and Weisz being so disillusioned with the amount of studio interference at the time that they refused to promote it. It was OK ... there's a longer, better movie in there struggling to get out.

Duel - Spielberg's early dusty, sweaty suspense classic. Dennis Weaver is terrific as the driver who unwittingly provokes a trucker into possibly the worst case of road-rage ever.