What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Well, if you're happy with a bird onslaught in mono, good for you.

I don't necessarily know if missing the visual aspect made the film any less exciting. As I said, it was interesting and intense enough in the beginning, but the story just didn't go anywhere. I was hoping that it would be revealed that Melanie had done something to upset them or something... anything.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't necessarily know if missing the visual aspect made the film any less exciting. As I said, it was interesting and intense enough in the beginning, but the story just didn't go anywhere. I was hoping that it would be revealed that Melanie had done something to upset them or something... anything.

Not the point of the film. Not everything needs exposition!

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

The Boy

Utterly frickin terrible. Like some shitty Phantom of the Opera killer movie. Nowhere near as good as the premise promises.

So...the promised premise was

piss-poor.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Read the novel; it might make more sense. 

What d'ya mean "what novel?"?!

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Not the point of the film. Not everything needs exposition!

Then why bring it up? If you spend 90 minutes on birds terrorising the world, why is it so difficult to explain it? What was the point, showing off special effects?

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Then why bring it up? If you spend 90 minutes on birds terrorising the world, why is it so difficult to explain it? What was the point, showing off special effects?

It's based on an old Daphne du Maurier novel. It's not about revealing what caused the birds to do what they did. It's about the mystery, the macabre etc.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's like with The Walking Dead or The Leftovers. What if suddenly the world would change. How would you deal it? 'Why' is not important.

This. It’s like complaining that you don’t find out how the apocalypse happened in The Road. 

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Let's see, if I sat through an audio recording of Jaws or Raiders of the Lost Ark, I guarantee I would find them less good than I do. 

I tried listening to an audio recording of Mel Brooks' Silent Movie, and it was amazing. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s like complaining that you don’t find out how the apocalypse happened in The Road. 

Or A Boy And His Dog

a-boy-and-his-dog-1975-bunker-door-to-un

Or Time Of The Wolf

1971.jpg

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Nice. Now watch SILK STOCKINGS.

I'm familiar with it (Astaire and Charisse), but I haven't seen it. I wanna check out more Lubitsch. I've seen To Be or Not To Be and Little Shop Around The Corner so far. 

Both fine films. The Mel Brooks remake of TBONTB, is also good.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Grand piano, 2nd watching. Good music, exciting, but preposterous plot.

I like its two sequels: REED AND PIPE ORGAN, and GLOCKENSPIEL.

Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte

It's hard to write about this one without directly comparing it to Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, since this flick was designed from its inception as a beat-for-beat cash-in on the success of Robert Aldrich's smash-hit freakshow.

Despite the change in setting, the premise and how the plot unfolds are almost identical. But Aldrich made this one more surreal. There's one haunting scene toward the end that wouldn't have been out of place in a Lynch or Kubrick flick.

Davis' powerful performance of mental decay is really more of a red herring that diverts attention from her duplicitous cousin de Havilland, who acts with steely resolve that I'm sure Crawford could have achieved if she hadn't made a nuisance of herself off-screen. But in the end, Bette's victimisation at the hands of the company she keeps hooks you in along with the mystery.

And that mystery echoes Crawford's own Strait-Jacket, released the same year. Talk about passing notes around Hollywood.

Further note, this is the first 20th Century Fox film I've watched since the Disney merger. To think HHSC now falls within the Mou$e's domain just sickens me.

Further note, this is the first 20th Century Fox film I've watched since the Disney merger. To think HHSC now falls within the Mou$e's domain just sickens me.

Knowing Disney, it probably sickens them even more (together with probably 500 other fox entries).

10 hours ago, Richard said:

Does that mean that THE TOWERING INFERNO half-belongs to Disney?

That was co-produced with Warner Bros., so I wonder what this means for Titanic, a Fox/Paramount film?

10 hours ago, publicist said:

Knowing Disney, it probably sickens them even more (together with probably 500 other fox entries).

They don't deserve a library that includes All About Eve, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Ghost and Mrs Muir, The Robe, Carousel, How To Marry a Millionaire, and Alien vs Predator.

...M*A*S*H, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, PLANET OF THE APES, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, THE ABYSS, HOME ALONE, ALIEN, ALIENS, THE LONGEST DAY, MINORITY REPORT (oh, no, Disney owns Spielberg!!!!!)

4 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

I wonder what this means for Titanic, a Fox/Paramount film?

I'm afraid that The Mouse owns most of TITANIC, as Paramount only stepped in, when Fox was getting a bit short on cash.

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you wishing for sequels now? ;)

No, thanks, but in 1975, a possible sequel was mooted.

Seriously, I love 20th Century Fox.

Sure it's yielded some duds in recent years, but even some of its older lemons are forgivable now. The studio has been responsible for financing and managing most of my favourite franchises and stand-alone films. It was a pioneer in embarking on innovative new anamorphic widescreen techniques. It saw potential in new and exciting project pitches that other studios laughed at. The Fox Searchlight subsidiary was a marvelous venture to give indie flicks a chance to be seen more widely. And it took a major risk in its attempt to expand the scope of superhero films by making them genuinely more mature.

All that is now over. Sounds like I'm reading a eulogy, but under the control of the Mouse, existing libraries will be placed under moratorium, risk-averse marketing teams will be fully in charge of new projects, the comic book nerd market will be heavily pandered to, and future output will be gradually neutered to comply with the Mouse's family-friendly corporate code. The Fox brandname will persist, but it won't be Fox anymore. It'll be 20th Century Fox's evil doppleganger from Black Lodge.

And to think back in the day, Daryl Zanuck must have regarded Walt Disney as a nuisance disruptor, and dismissed him as someone not to worry about.

Seriously, I love 20th Century Fox.

Sure it's yielded some duds in recent years, but even some of its older lemons are forgivable now. The studio has been responsible for financing and managing most of my favourite franchises and stand-alone films. It was a pioneer in embarking on innovative new anamorphic widescreen techniques. It saw potential in new and exciting project pitches that other studios laughed at. The Fox Searchlight subsidiary was a marvelous venture to give indie flicks a chance to be seen more widely. And it took a major risk in its attempt to expand the scope of superhero films by making them genuinely more mature.

All that is now over. Sounds like I'm reading a eulogy, but under the control of the Mouse, existing libraries will be placed under moratorium, risk-averse marketing teams will be fully in charge of new projects, the comic book nerd market will be heavily pandered to, and future output will be gradually neutered to comply with the Mouse's family-friendly corporate code. The Fox brandname will persist, but it won't be Fox anymore. It'll be 20th Century Fox's evil doppleganger from Black Lodge.

And to think back in the day, Daryl Zanuck must have regarded Walt Disney as a nuisance disruptor, and dismissed him as someone not to worry about.

This merger will honestly change almost nothing. Disney owns plenty of other independent companies. 

The Stepford Wives

Oddly thought Nicky Kidman was sexy in this one, and I'm normally meh about her. I liked her campy performance. Shows she can be fun outside the depressing Emmy-bait fare she pushes these days. Film was funny in places but overall a bit disappointing. David Arnold's score was the best attribute, but I bet there was a lot of Elfman temp-tracking.

Don't panic about Disney's activities, there's nothing to worry about ... 

>2009: Disney buys Marvel 
>2012: Disney buys Lucasfilms
>2017: Disney buys 21st Century Fox
>2019: Disney buys Paramount Pictures
>2022: Disney buys Universal Studios
>2027: Disney attempts to buy Warner Bros, Warner Bros tells them to fuck off
>2028: Disney, being highly pissed off, acquires their own private military
>2029: Disney storms headquarters of Warner Bros, killing many, and taking the company by force 
>2032: Disney buys nukes from black market terrorists
>2034: Disney buys Microsoft
>2036: Disney declares war against the entertainment industry
>2037: Skirmishes between private militaries occur in Hollywood and other places around the country
>2038: Disney nukes Hollywood
>2044: Disney buys the United States of America
>2045: Disney reorganizes the American government into a totalitarian dictatorship, deemed "The People's Republic of Disney" 
>2047: People's Republic of Disney moves to annex Mexico and Canada with the military might of Mickey Mouse
>2051: PRD buys celestial bodies such as the moon and Mars
>2056: PRD colonizes Mars
>2059: PRD colonizes rest of the solar system
>2064: PRD starts construction of Dyson Sphere in the Sol System 
>2075: PRD scientists discover a form of FTL space travel
>2078: First PRD voyage to Alpha Centauri system is successfully completed 
>2079: PRD successfully establishes a one world government
>2080: PRD sends millions of military warships out throughout the galaxy, conquering extraterrestrial life on every planet and solar system
>2092: Dyson Sphere in Sol System is complete 
>2100: PRD reaches type 3 civilization status, creating a Galactic Dictatorship under the people of Disney
>2104: Marvel and X-Men fans are still excited about new movies

No automatic alt text available.

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, sure, I'm going to tell you, so that you can ask Disney to annex just my country! Fuck off! I'm one step ahead of you! Norway is next, they told me!

Based on your level of rudeness, I'd say France... :D

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

Will they seize Thor?

Then they'll first have to get past Odin.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

They already have him.

Thor-Ragnarok-Reviews-Big.jpg

Clearly, you've never been to Italy!

Hollywood-Thor is nothing like the real deal. And Italians are some of the nicest and inclusive people in Europe, which you'd know if you'd been there...

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (again)

After showing my mum the series, I played this one for her. I was surprised by how much she liked it! In fact she's enjoyed all of Lynch's flicks I've shown her so far. I think she's now ready to see Eraserhead, the mother of all cryptic, visual acid trips. I can't wait!

26 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Buster Keaton's Sherlock Jr. and Charlie Chaplin's City Lights. I'd seen them both before, but not for a very long time. Was surprised at how hilariously funny they still are.

Love City Lights. The only Keaton I've seen is The General. That's very good too.

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

Both CITY LIGHTS, and SHERLOCK JR., are brilliant, and so are THE GENERAL, MODERN TIMES, and Chaplin's magnum opus, THE GREAT DICTATOR.

IMO City Lights is the best score to a Chaplin movie. And the new score to Keaton's The General is also very good, especially in the context of the movie.