What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

No way, on balance there's far more better US ones than there are Spaghetti. Have you seen The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? The Ballet of Cable Hogue? From Noon Till Three, A Big Hand for the Little Lady, the list is endless. 

I didn’t mean to suggest they were better, it was just an alternative if the ones he’s been watching haven’t done anything for him. I love all Westerns, prefer spaghetti, personally. 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

This was a treasure trove of hard-to-find spagetthi western tunes.

It helped spark my love for the genre. Thankfully all of them have been released in some form by the Italian labels. 

Suburbicon

suburbicon1.png

A Coen Brothers black comedy directed by George Clooney. Entertaining but it lacked perhaps the directorial finesse of the Coens. 6,5/10

1703130.jpg

Alien Covenant

I was surprised by the backlash this one got. Although it had some dumb moments, you begin to accept the Alien formula that Scott seems to like repeating - ship full of idiots arrives on planet, pick up alien egg/goo and all hell breaks loose. That's it! That's all these movies are. He just insists on dressing it up with religious/philosophical stuff because maybe he likes reading Milton before bedtime.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

They Call Me Trinity (1 and 2), My Name is Nobody, Buddy Goes West?

Movies you should see or scores you should listen to?

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Not those ... He's talking about Leone and Leone only.

No. 

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Movies you should see or scores you should listen to?

Both! :wink:

OK, Trinity 1 only has the iconic song, but Nobody and Buddy were done by Morricone. (I might not be entirely objective, the latter one's been engraved in my memory since my early childhood)

Seeing them depends on how much you would enjoy juvenile/cartoonish semi-spoofs of the genre.

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

American westerns are a completely different beast to the Italian westerns. Watch those instead. 

I've only seen A Fistful of Dollars but I can totally see it. It felt much more like a samurai flick than the other Westerns I've seen

10 minutes ago, Hawmy said:

I've only seen A Fistful of Dollars but I can totally see it. It felt much more like a samurai flick than the other Westerns I've seen

Well it is a remake of a samurai flick :P

But yeah, watch all the Leone first and then go from there.

In terms of good American westerns, I would recommend some more contemporary outings like Unforgiven, 3:10 To Yuma (2007), and Tombstone. 

Black Narcissus. I'd never even heard of it except seeing the occasional screen caps posted here. The cinematography was stunning as expected. Turns out the film itself was rather good as well, but even if it hadn't been, it would still be a (literal) must see.

48 minutes ago, Richard said:

Marian, BLACK NARCISSUS is, quite simply, one of the finest films ever made.

Now watch, THE CANTERBURY TALES, A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, and THE RED SHOES.

why did you suggest these particular ones?

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Marian, BLACK NARCISSUS is, quite simply, one of the finest films ever made.

Now watch, THE CANTERBURY TALES, A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, and THE RED SHOES.

And COLONEL BLIMP!

10 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

But Resurrection's funnier, and has Lydia Deetz and Chucky!

Dunno why, but I never knew what the big deal about Winona was, but now I think she's cute. Probably since I rewatched Dracula and she has some sexy moments in it.

7 hours ago, filmmusic said:

why did you suggest these particular ones?

Good question. It's because these are the Powell/Pressburger films that immediately came to mind, but...

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

And COLONEL BLIMP!

@mrbellamy is exactly right: THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP, is another Archers classic, as is TALES OF HOFFMAN.

Tales of Hoffman looks totally intriguing but i never made it past the first 20 minutes.

Dragonslayer...it might not be a perfect movie, but the mis-én-scene (often fluid like early Spielberg) and the for-the-time remarkable fx compensate for a miscast Peter MacNicol and a storyline that fumbles from time to time. The scenery makes you aching for a Isle of Sky vacation.

ff_ilm_dragonslayer.jpg

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Vermithrax would rip out Smaug's throat while the latter was in the middle of some long winded monologue. 

It's a fucking brilliant realisation, to be sure.

There's evil in its eyes, when it looks up from staring at its dead offspring.

I was surprised by how good Dragonslayer actually was when I first watched it. I was expecting some rinky dink sword and sorcery film, but it's actually pretty good.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

It was pretty good, but I was angry at the ending cause I really wanted it to have a good ending and it didn't. Oh well

3 hours ago, Richard said:

There's evil in its eyes, when it looks up from staring at its dead offspring.

Y'know the thing about a dragon, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'... until he bites ya. And those black eyes roll over, and then... oh, then you hear that terrible high-pitch screamin', the eyes turns red, and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin', he comes in and...breathes that fire and cooks you to ashes.