What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Scary Movie 3

You know I reckon Anna Faris looked better with dark hair, but I gather they tried to make her look like Naomi Watts because of The Ring parody. Hey this was alright, although I missed all the stoner humour the Wayans brothers littered their movies with. But now I have a problem, I want to watch Scary Movie 4 but it's the only one not on Netflix, seriously bitches? Ugh!

For a Few Dollars More - Eastwood used to be cool as fuck. Love the musical watch theme. Sickeningly tense. 

Goodfellas - Excellent! Marty is great! Couldn’t help noticing how similar the basic structure of Wolf of Wall Street is to this though. 

The Departed - I liked this more than Goodfellas. I think the use of score + records is better than just records alone. Does Leo ever get a happy ending? Stellar cast. 

The Silence of the Lambs - My least favourite of the films I watched this week but still very good. Shore does the hauntingly beautiful thing well. Normally the mere sight of Foster or Hopkins puts me off but they’re both excellent here. Cinematography is that communist look grey mush that seems to dominate films of the late 80s and early 90s. 

24 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

The Silence of the Lambs - My least favourite of the films I watched this week but still very good. Shore does the hauntingly beautiful thing well. Normally the mere sight of Foster or Hopkins puts me off but they’re both excellent here. Cinematography is that communist look grey mush that seems to dominate films of the late 80s and early 90s. 

One of the best movies ever made.

33 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I love that movie. It doesn't really unsettle me too much, but horror is such a subjective genre, that you have to judge these films by their craft, first, and the craft on Silence of the Lambs is some of the very best in the history of cinema.

Its also a strong case against hoity toity film critics and theorists (I'm looking at you, Lindsay Ellis) who wish that films do everything with as much subtelty as they can possibly, bearly get away with. Well, the Silence of the Lambs has the subtelty of a sledgehammer with its frequent use of subjective camera (which is incredibly unsettling), extreme close-ups, hightened lighting and crashing push-ins, but its still a marvel of a motion picture.

Oh I didn’t mean to make it sound like I didn’t enjoy it. I liked it very much. It’s just  I preferred the other films I saw this weekend more! 

I didn't mean to insinuate that I thought you didn't like it, although I probably like it more than any of those films you mentioned. But that's just me.

Again, being at least in part a horror film, its a much, much more subjective piece of work than the other films you mentioned. It can do whatever it can (and it does) in terms to presenting the material in as scary a manner as possible, but if you aren't predisposed to find the subject-matter unsettling, you won't find it unsettling

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I love that movie. It doesn't really unsettle me too much, but horror is such a subjective genre, that you have to judge these films by their craft, first, and the craft on Silence of the Lambs is some of the very best in the history of cinema

Subjective!

50 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Goodfellas - Excellent! Marty is great! Couldn’t help noticing how similar the basic structure of Wolf of Wall Street is to this though. 

The Departed - I liked this more than Goodfellas. I think the use of score + records is better than just records alone. Does Leo ever get a happy ending? Stellar cast. 

The Departed is very driven by plot while Goodfellas is more character driven. I prefer the latter.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The craft of the film is not subjective.

But it is. It's why I disagree with you. 

Jaws. For the first time. Only watched it for Williams music which I'd also never heard before, other-than through a Star Wars Rebels cue that was supposedly derived from the score. I enjoyed the film a lot and was very surprised at how sparsely scored it was, but that actually went with the alone out at sea feel of the film, I guess. The score was a lot more fun than I expected it to be too. I thought it would just constantly be the famous shark theme when anything happened but there's actually quite a bit more to the score. Overall really enjoyed the film. I've seen that the sequel was also scored by Williams, is it anywhere near as good?

Also, how are the releases of the score? I've not yet looked into it but hope it's not as much a mess as the Star Wars scores... (Is there a helpful @Jay spreadsheet for this?)

3 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

E.T. for the first time. I've never heard the score before. I did some research and apparently there's a theme park ride at Universal Studios with flying bikes and the alien's planet. It's directed by the same guy who made Always. Not as good. It was a bit too cheesy. NASA spacemen invading the house, awkward child performances and the bizarre titular alien, which looks like a deformed penis.

I'm sorry is this a real post or a trolling post?

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Please. Please, @filmmusic, please, for the love of everything holy, and sacred, and profound, don't give it the oxygen of attention that it so desperately, dangerously needs.

Yeah, because who cares about opinions...:huh:

I don't have anything against E.T. I haven't watched in years.

But I appreciate people who dare speak against a percieved classic, even if only for their audacity.

How can we develop a discussion about a film, if any attempt at thinking about it critically is shut down by the reverence in which it is held by others?

I just think that, in terms of what discussions of films have devolved into, it takes courage. Its not uncommon for people well-versed in cimena and film theory to have a dislike for certain "classics" or to certain aspects of them.

I'm not talking about people being contrarians. I'm talking about discerning filmgoers who sat down to watch a "classic" but were genuinely left cold by it. It happens.

Its like how I'll "Like" a post that opposes one of mine, if I find that it makes a compeling argument, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

16 hours ago, CGCJ said:

Jaws. For the first time. Only watched it for Williams music which I'd also never heard before, other-than through a Star Wars Rebels cue that was supposedly derived from the score. I enjoyed the film a lot and was very surprised at how sparsely scored it was, but that actually went with the alone out at sea feel of the film, I guess. The score was a lot more fun than I expected it to be too. I thought it would just constantly be the famous shark theme when anything happened but there's actually quite a bit more to the score. Overall really enjoyed the film. I've seen that the sequel was also scored by Williams, is it anywhere near as good?

Also, how are the releases of the score? I've not yet looked into it but hope it's not as much a mess as the Star Wars scores... (Is there a helpful @Jay spreadsheet for this?)

Intrada released a 2CD edition in 2015 that is completely definitive.  The only prior releases were the 1975 OST album, which was a complete re-recording and is included on disc 2 of the 2015 Intrada release, and a release of the film cues in 2000 by the Decca label, but they used inferior technology and mixed it weird.  The 2015 Intrada edition done by Mike is probably one of the biggest upgrades from one release to the next I can think of.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9909/.f

If you want to look at a spreadsheet anyway

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17He1tsGg-sBDZTmKVi6oKC-69XNR3MFj0z8tSREU49I/htmlview

I don't really like that one too much, though it is neat that they recorded some instrument lines taceted out by Williams in '75

18 hours ago, filmmusic said:

He is being sarcastic of one of the ridiculous posts above. Brilliantly so I might add.

23 hours ago, Bilbo said:

For a Few Dollars More - Eastwood used to be cool as fuck. Love the musical watch theme. Sickeningly tense. 

Lambs is absolutely the best of these films. Its not even a race. Everything about Silence of the Lambs is exceptional. It is a brilliantly brutal film, lean and precise. There is nothing extraneous about the film. It is that rare animal where the book and the film are both great but the film is greater I think. One of the best edited films I've ever seen.

27 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Lambs is absolutely the best of these films. Its not even a race. Everything about Silence of the Lambs is exceptional. It is a brilliantly brutal film, lean and precise. There is nothing extraneous about the film. It is that rare animal where the book and the film are equally great but the film is greater I think. One of the best edited films I've ever seen.

It is a masterpiece.

Maybe it’s because I only saw it for the first time 26 years after it came out and I’ve been robbed of its impact because I’ve grown up in a post-Lambs world. 

I mean, I really did enjoy it but it’s crossed off the list and I don’t think I’d ever have reason to re-watch it. 

Heh, I bought the new Criterion blu ray and the new Quartet CD for Lambs just in the past couple months.  I will always own that movie on whatever the home video format du jour is.  Seen it at least 15 times.

4 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

He is being sarcastic of one of the ridiculous posts above. Brilliantly so I might add.

Oh, hadn't seen that post, and now I'm wondering about that one if it's a troll post or real. :P

Or maybe the poster is really young.

I don't think I had watched Jaws before my 18.

And still of course I haven't seen many classics like the Leone spaggheti westerns (except for one) or I'm sure other films too. (eg. Kurosawa samurai ones).

I watched Yojimbo this morning. I think I prefer A Fistful of Dollars just for the score. They were pretty much exactly the same though

The Cat Returns

I actually loved this movie. It reminded me of a fun medieval fantasy film like Sleeping Beauty or something. It was cute and touching, but I wish they had spent more time in the Kingdom of the cats.

The Lookout

Bit of a slow and sleepy thriller about a guy with a leaky memory following a car accident who needs to relearn how to survive to overcome huge odds. Not bad, but frustratingly leaves a few loose ends... at the end.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

I had seen Star Trek 1, 2, 3 and 6 some 25-30 years ago. (i'm not sure if i have watched 4 and 5)

I didn't remember anything from 2, apart from the scene with those things that got inside their ears.. Brrrrrrr....

Excuse me to the star trek fans, but I don't know.. I was very bored and didn't feel anything about this film.

I don't understand why it is so highly regarded.

I think that Star Wars  is waaaaaaaaaay above! (i brought this up because I think there is always comparison of Star Wars vs Star trek, isn't  there?)

I'm curious now to watch 3 and  see how

Spoiler

they resurrected Spock

(obviously I don't remember anything of 3 too)

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I think that Star Wars  is waaaaaaaaaay above! (i brought this up because I think there is always comparison of Star Wars vs Star trek, isn't  there?)

Its really comparing apples with oranges. One is a Science Fiction series, the other is a Fantasy series in a Science-Fiction setting.

50 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Star Trek has more in common with Stargate SG-1 than Star Wars.

well, if I compare to the original Stargate film, I still liked that one more! :lol:

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Its really comparing apples with oranges. One is a Science Fiction series, the other is a Fantasy series in a Science-Fiction setting.

Star Wars definitely is Fantasy but if Science Fiction is about credible futuristic science then The Wrath Of Kahn isn't really science fiction either. It's more like Master & Commander in a sci-fi setting.

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Excuse me to the star trek fans, but I don't know.. I was very bored and didn't feel anything about this film.

I don't understand why it is so highly regarded.

It's rather on the slow side from today's perspective, especially considering it's usually classified (I believe) as action scifi. When I first became a Trek fan, I liked it, but it certainly wasn't my favourite. It only gets better with age though. Above all, it has one of the best scripts I've ever seen in a genre film. The way it's constructed, full of foreshadowings and self references (plus the strong Tale of Two Cities ties) easily elevates it above the other Trek films. It shows true heart in the way it presents its concepts and then uses its characters (mainly the aging captain who is experienced but never bothered to grow up and accept responsibility and defeat, and the experienced Vulcan who has come to see the human perspective yet selflessly takes full responsibilty when necessary). Also, my favourite performance by Shatner.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's rather on the slow side from today's perspective

well, I don't have a problem with slow films, since I'm watching only old films and not new ones.