What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I'll see if I can find more Goldie Hawn flicks.

PRIVATE BENJAMIN is good. HOUSESITTER, DEATH BECOMES HER, CACTUS FLOWER, FOUL PLAY and BIRD IN A WIRE, are not bad. SHAMPOO is brilliant, and...oh, yeah...you might want to try an early film by young director Steven Spielberg, called THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS.

25 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Order of the Phoenix is actually one of my favourite Potter movies

It's the last one where I can throw bitching about book details out the window and just enjoy it. It's a fun one.

On 5/16/2018 at 4:48 PM, Disco Stu said:

I don't understand what's wrong with Indy's character in Crystal Skull.  That movie's problem is in the narrative and the weird visual aesthetic.  Characters are fine.

The biggest blot on the film is Koepp's screenplay, nearly totally devoid of the wit, erudition and lightness of touch of Stoppard's Last Crusade. Following from that, you have wonderful actors like Hurt and Winston wasted in archetypal cypher roles that do little to showcase their particular talents.

The less of Blanchett and the colossal failure of her accent coach, the better.   

Sort of like Ron Lacey in Raiders? I see that, but for that they should've cast an actress who could actually pull off that kind of large, theatrical comedy. Christine Baranski, Laurie Metcalf, Bebe Neuwirth, Catherine O'Hara--someone like that, 

15 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's an outstanding film. The beer, at the end was real Carlsberg, and the scene was featured in a TV advert in the 90s.

and the theme, some say, bears a relation to Imperial Attack from Star Wars. 

I love Ice Cold though, Johnny Mills is on fine form, there's Quayle and Andrews who are always good for a quid and then of course, as the late Sir Donald Sinden remarked on a docu, Sylvia Syms in a nurses uniform. The book's worth a read, if just to see where it all came from. All of it filmed in Libya bar the odd studio set -something you couldn't do today I'd bet. 

The Lost Boys

I bet this was like the Twilight of its time, only somewhat better. It's like Fright Night meets The Goonies meets Flatliners meets Hannah and Her Sisters. Not bad, but only worth checking out once.

Murder on the Orient Express (2017 remake)

For every pro I find in this film, I seem to find two cons. Much of the otherwise talented cast is underutilized, and don't make much of an impression at all. The cinematography is good, even breathtaking at times, but often muddled in fake-looking digital effects and greenscreen. Branagh's portrayal of Poirot is wonderful, though. One of the few glowing highlights in an often dull film.

** and 1/2 out of *****

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

An absolute classic. The entire film is just brilliant, in that it has this wild and over-the-top comedic force, but is combined with solid authenticity of structure and focus on human weakness, especially male weakness. It's obvious that Kubrick really hated these characters, and it's eerie how relevant the film remains today.

***** out of *****

The Matrix. Hey, it is not "blue and green" only anymore! It's a very 1990's film, in terms of its content and theme. But I meant that as a compliment here. Still as entertaining as ever. Can't believe it's 19 years old!

Oh and I also watched Blow Out the other night. Definitely one of the better De Palmas.

Karol

Paper Towns.

I didn't really like Cara Delevingne's character (or accent) and therefore found it really hard to believe why someone would go after a girl who's so full of herself. Having said that, it was an okay movie, but I don't understand the entire point of this Margo character at all. Also, is it that easy to skip classes in the USA?

The score was nice and some of the music was really enjoyable.

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

The Matrix. Hey, it is not "blue and green" only anymore! It's a very 1990's film, in terms of its content and theme. But I meant that as a compliment here. Still as entertaining as ever. Can't believe it's 19 years old!

It's Star Wars (1977) but better.

I never cared for The Matrix. I remember at school it was all everyone talked about and the kids fancied themselves as "philosophers" after watching it over and over. I couldn't stand it. I remember one fanboy at school in 2003 was convinced The Matrix Reloaded would have beaten Titanic at the box office if only it weren't for pirated DVDs (those ones recorded with a DV cam in the cinemas!)

23 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I remember at school it was all everyone talked about and the kids fancied themselves as "philosophers" after watching it over and over. I couldn't stand it.

You hated it because you felt excluded from the discussion. It must have been quite a sobering experience. 

Fer cryin' out loud, Al, Jerry was 14 when the film was released. How many 14 year olds "got" THE MATRIX?

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

"A spoon or not a spoon, that is the question!"

"Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of  outrageous bullet-time, or take arms against a sea of machines...?"

26 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You hated it because you felt excluded from the discussion. It must have been quite a sobering experience. 

You're were one of those blind, obedient conformist types at school.

29 minutes ago, Richard said:

"Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of  outrageous bullet-time, or take arms against a sea of machines...?"

"Alas poor Morpheus, I knew him."

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Fer cryin' out loud, Al, Jerry was 14 when the film was released. How many 14 year olds "got" THE MATRIX?

I was 9 when I saw it and loved it. 

7 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I was actually. :lol:

I'll always remember the Empire review quote which the TV and radio ads here went with.

"George never saw this phantom menace coming."