What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

10 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - Great modern day western dealing with betrayal, redemption, and friendship. Tommy Lee Jones is subtly terrific in the lead role, and as the film and The Homesman proves, he's a solid filmmaker, especially when it comes to depicting the west. - 8 / 10

This is a really underrated film. Barry Pepper is an underutilized actor; I dig Beltrami's score too. Still need to check out The Homesman.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

This is a really underrated film. 

Why do you say that, Koray? Seems like most reviews are very positive. 

I hope Tommy Lee Jones will soon make another movie but I haven't heard of any future projects.

The  Homesman strongly reminded me of the moviemaking and the Revisionist Westerns of the '70s. 

American Psycho 2: All American Girl

This was so bad, I loved it. Mila Kunis is cute as a button, but her voice is irritating. Worth it just to see William Shatner in a non-Trek/Boston Legal role.

What Lies Beneath

what-lies-beneath-cinema-quad-movie-post

Film doesn't stand the test of time. In fact, it feels like a TV movie. No scope, no style, no character depth ... 5/10

6 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

No this, no that, no merit whatsoever, but half a good movie?

Well, you kinda want to know what the mystery is so you keep watching. Doesn't mean it deserves a tenner. 5/10 is certainly not "half a good movie" in my book.

Yeah, you do seem to interpret numbers quite differently. To me 5/10 is watchable but nothing more. 6/10 means 'not bad'. 7/10 is good. 8/10: very good. 9/10: Almost brilliant. 10/10: Brilliant.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Yeah, you do seem to interpret numbers quite differently. To me 5/10 is watchable but nothing more. 6/10 means 'not bad'. 7/10 is good. 8/10: very good. 9/10: Almost brilliant. 10/10: Brilliant.

I would say this is a pretty widely agreed upon system of critical ranking measurement. 

I look at a "5/10" and think it at least had to have some merit to even get there.

It's like reading Leonard Maltin's book and he assigns a film a 2 out of 4, but the review makes the whole movie seem like garbage. Or another entry will have a 2-and-a-half rating but the review will be rather generous.

I had seen it maybe half-attentively when I was a kid.

Goldsmith's score was like the movie - very broad, but fun.  It didn't move me to look for an album.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

I look at a "5/10" and think it at least had to have some merit to even get there.

It's like reading Leonard Maltin's book and he assigns a film a 2 out of 4, but the review makes the whole movie seem like garbage. Or another entry will have a 2-and-a-half rating but the review will be rather generous.

Yeah, that's definitely a thing to happen. This video talks about that sort of thing very well, particularly the last minute:

I grade movies like school report cards, so 10 is A+, 9 is A, 8 is B, 7 is C, 6 is D, 5 is F, 4 is F-, 3 is F--, 2 is F---, 1 is F----, and 0 is F-----.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

What Lies Beneath

Film doesn't stand the test of time. In fact, it feels like a TV movie. No scope, no style, no character depth ... 5/10

Agreed, Alex, but what can one expect, from a "filler" movie, made as a stop-gap?

35 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It didn't move me to look for an album.

Maybe it should have, Mike; you'd be a rich man, by now :lol:

Annihilation

Different and weird, but not necessarily my kind of different and weird. Aside from its stunning visuals, creepy atmosphere and Padme's cheekbones, I'm not sure what the whole point was. Seen ideally on a plasma or OLED.

My mistake - all this time I'd thought Annihilation was a sequel to Ex Machina. Something I'd read a while back seems to have wrongly given me this impression. 

Bone Tomahawk 

Cannibals terrorise Sheriff Kurt Russell's small town and take a woman. Posse sets out to rescue her.

Not bad, pretty decent if a bit longwinded, it really takes its time to get moving, even from one scene to the next actually, the plodding dialogue doesn't really help matters much either. But I still thought it was worth watching, because it all combines to create a pervading mood of gloom and churning anxiety that feels quite unique in the western genre. Not a film for the faint hearted though - you see a poor fella have his scalp sheared off and fed to him, before they turn him upside down and then literally butcher his body down the middle, like a cow in an abattoir. A moment of standout visual savagery that feels like the grizzly highlight of the movie, earned by that point that it was. Many other much more consistently brutal movies often don't achieve that, I feel. So yeah, well worth a watch as I said. 

X0Jl0Qn.jpg

Put Bone Tomahawk on one night ... I was admittedly quite tired and ended up turning it off after half-an-hour, think the lack of pace you mentioned was a problem for me. Plus for what sounded like a kinda schlocky-fun B-movie premise to me (a Western with cannibals), the damn thing was coming across like it thought it was Unforgiven or something FFS.   

Maybe I'll give it another go sometime.   

11 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Annihilation

Different and weird, but not necessarily my kind of different and weird. Aside from its stunning visuals, creepy atmosphere and Padme's cheekbones, I'm not sure what the whole point was. Seen ideally on a plasma or OLED.

What was so different about it? What was so stunning about the visuals? Why a Plasma or OLED?

Well they don't make these sorts of cerebral sci-fi films much anymore. I think if Sphere was released today, it'd be a "Netflix Original" too.

I like the way the colours really pop. It's a good looking movie, with moments of fantastical dreaminess. Hence the maximum impact from one of those TV panel technologies.

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Put Bone Tomahawk on one night ... I was admittedly quite tired and ended up turning it off after half-an-hour, think the lack of pace you mentioned was a problem for me. Plus for what sounded like a kinda schlocky-fun B-movie premise to me (a Western with cannibals), the damn thing was coming across like it thought it was Unforgiven or something FFS.   

It is a bit like that, yes. I quite appreciated the tact, initially, but you soon realise after a bit that it's not really justified. The way I looked at it in the end though, was that plenty of the old Seventies exploitation movies would play around with their pacing like that, they could be weirdly pondersome and unsmiling, before suddenly turning chaotic and ultra violent. Bone Tomahawk is too unnecessarily earnest to be chaotic, but the eventual violence of the third act still felt like a payoff. 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Now on to 'Wind River'.

Oh? 

On 7/5/2018 at 7:29 PM, Alexcremers said:

Is "almost brilliant" not simply "very good"?

Karol

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Hmm, nice one. 👍

With a haunting Nick Cave score to boot. Based on what you liked about Bone Tomahawk, you would most likely enjoy this one as well. Sharp script from Taylor Sheridan too. 

The Dark Tower

Nothing special. Sort of like Masters of the Universe meets Last Action Hero meets The 5th Wave. And the music was by Junkie XL? I thought all he did was techno music - this wasn't half bad.

I was going to finally watch Annihilation, but it turns out I can't. At least not if I want to see it in good quality. I have two Blu-ray players (one Samsung, one Sony), a PS3, and a PS4. All of them have a Netflix app. And none of them is capable of playing Netflix at 24fps. I guess all I can hope for is a Blu-ray release...

So instead I watched Casualties of War. I hadn't seen that in years; apparently the only way to get the extended cut on Blu-ray is the German disc, and I tend to mistrust original German releases of English language films, but the quality is pretty good. The film doesn't seem to get mentioned too often, but I certainly count it among De Palma's masterpieces (the rather cheap final scene notwithstanding). It's a seamless blend of De Palma at his most serious, and also doing his best approximation of Leone (I imagine the Morricone score is no coincidence). Excellent performances, and fantastic cinematography (obviously). The structure is somewhat unusual, with the first two thirds of Vietnam war action followed by an extended aftermath including a chamber setting of a trial, but it follows the story, and it also keeps the big Leone climax of the war segment from overshadowing the serious core story.

This is one of those films which I think should be mandatory viewing in schools, perhaps more than ever now that people like those portrayed in the film (and I do believe pretty much exactly like those) are legitimate heads of democracies.

Rewatched all five Mission: Impossible films. Other than Cruise's inflated ego being a bit of an issue, there are 3.5 hugely enjoyable film in this franchise. Lot of ridiculous fun.

Karol

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Rewatched all five Mission: Impossible films. Other than Cruise's inflated ego being a bit of an issue, there are 3.5 hugely enjoyable film in this franchise. Lot of ridiculous fun.

I liked all of them except the John Woo one. Despite (or perhaps because of?) his ego, Cruise is pretty much spot on casting. Supposedly the first three films look rather shabby on their initial Blu-ray releases, but apparently that was just remedied at least for the De Palma film with a new (4K) transfer. I hope the Abrams take will follow shortly.