What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I remember coming out of ST 2009 super excited to get into Star Trek, with plans to start blasting through all of the series in release order on Netflix.  Never got around to it, and then I saw ST:ID and lost interest entirely.

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I remember coming out of ST 2009 super excited to get into Star Trek, with plans to start blasting through all of the series in release order on Netflix.  Never got around to it, and then I saw ST:ID and lost interest entirely.

I loved Star Trek: Independence Day.

- Jurassic Park

- Pulp Fiction (new, Tarantino-approved HD transfer)

- Independence Day (Extended Cut)

Had tons of fun with all three, all the more so for not having seen them in quite some time. :wub:

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

These days isn't it a bit like trying to watch a Carry On film? 

Often as entertaining, yup, though i have to admit that a select few like 'Snowman', 'Plague of the Zombies' or 'Devil Rides Out' are decent and the first one even features a good score.

64363-the-beatles-eight-days-a-week-the-

TV was on. This docu started but I had already seen it. Ended up seeing the whole thing again. There's something magnetic about The Beatles, I don't know why.

The song we actually consider to be Our Song is "I Don't Want Control of You" by Teenage Fanclub, probably my favorite love song ever.

But we decided it was way too upbeat and rocking for a wedding first dance

Isle of Dogs

iod field wallpaper.jpg

In a world full of seemingly never-ending remakes, reboots, and sequels, this is easily one of the best and most original movies of the year. The animation and visuals are absolutely stunning; like many of Anderson's films, you can take any single shot from Dogs and frame it on a wall. The movie makes excellent use of color and textures, and each setpiece has its own distinct feel and aesthetic. Viewing the film and realizing just how much time and effort was put into a single shot makes the film that much more satisfying to watch. The sushi-making scene might be one of the coolest scenes ever in a stop-motion movie. Absolutely mesmerizing.

I loved the little visual and musical homages to classic films throughout the movie. The opening scenes set in the Municipal Dome echo the political rally scenes from Citizen Kane, the research laboratory setpiece is undoubtedly Kubrick-esque in design, and the use of excerpts from the score of Seven Samurai was really fun and used well.

It's not a perfect movie, and I can understand the complaints towards its unconventional narrative and light character development, but for me, this movie checks off everything I want to see in a movie; likable characters, gorgeous visuals, good humor, dazzling worldbuilding, and a memorable score. There are few movies out there that I feel were made for me; this is one of them. Eagerly anticipating Wes Anderson's next stop-motion venture.

***** out of *****

3 minutes ago, John said:

Isle of Dogs

In a world full of seemingly never-ending remakes, reboots, and sequels, this is easily one of the best and most original movies of the year. The animation and visuals are absolutely stunning; like many of Anderson's films, you can take any single shot from Dogs and frame it on a wall. The movie makes excellent use of color and textures, and each setpiece has its own distinct feel and aesthetic. Viewing the film and realizing just how much time and effort was put into a single shot makes the film that much more satisfying to watch. The sushi-making scene might be one of the coolest scenes ever in a stop-motion movie. Absolutely mesmerizing.

I loved the little visual and musical homages to classic films throughout the movie. The opening scenes set in the Municipal Dome echo the political rally scenes from Citizen Kane, the research laboratory set is undoubtedly Kubrick-esque in design, and the use of excerpts from the score of Seven Samurai was really fun and used well.

It's not a perfect movie, and I can understand the complaints towards its unconventional narrative and light character development, but for me, this movie checks off everything I want to see in a movie; likable characters, gorgeous visuals, good humor, dazzling worldbuilding, and a memorable score. There are few movies out there that I feel were made for me; this is one of them. Eagerly anticipating Wes Anderson's next stop-motion venture.

***** out of *****

It's a great movie.  You like it more than me, but I do really like it.

Too many shots of characters trying and barely failing to hold back tears though.  It's honestly a bit distracting how often it happens.  In moments that weren't especially emotional IMO.

But I also can't really find anything in your review here that I disagree with.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Nah, but 'God Only Knows' of The Beach Boys does. 

One of my absolute favorite songs! I'll take Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys over The Beatles any time.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I can practically quote the entire movie from beginning to end. 

Want a medal? I can quote lots of things, you don't see me handing out five stars like Smarties in Halloween!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

No joke, that dumb song was on every playlist my roommates and I ever made for college apartment parties.  It always brought the house down.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Want a medal? I can quote lots of things, you don't see me handing out five stars like Smarties in Halloween!

Top 5 Films of 1997, All 5 Stars

1. Mortal Kombat Annihilation

2. Air Bud

3. Batman & Robin

4. Anaconda

5. Jungle 2 Jungle

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

No joke, that dumb song was on every playlist my roommates and I ever made for college apartment parties.  It always brought the house down.

So that's what your parents helped pay for? 

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Top 5 Movies of 1997, All 5 Stars

1. Mortal Kombat Annihilation

2. Air Bud

3. Batman & Robin

4. Anaconda

5. Jungle 2 Jungle

Batman and Robin is fun for half an hour before you realize you've been avalanched with at least an hour and a half left of this dumb movie, and bored, frustrated resignation slithers in.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Would you say it slithers.... like an anaconda?

No, but it gives me a fatality like Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, slam dunks my consciousness like Air Bud, constricts my oxygen like Anaconda, and...I don't even know what the hell Jungle 2 Jungle is.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I don't even know what the hell Jungle 2 Jungle is.

You had to be around 10 in 1997 like I was to understand what Jungle 2 Jungle is.

It's a delightful family comedy about animal abuse, stock markets and the russian coffee mafia.

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

No movie is perfect. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s deserving of a five star rating in my book. 

I think some movies are effectively perfect, in the sense that their flaws are too minor to really merit mention.

And yes, even a film that isn’t that may be deserving of the full rating. Certainly in my book.

51 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think some movies are effectively perfect, in the sense that their flaws are too minor to really merit mention.

And yes, even a film that isn’t that may be deserving of the full rating. Certainly in my book.

I feel the same. 

I'm watching the Spider-Man 3 editor's cut. I didn't know this existed until recently. Not too different in the first half. An extra scene of chunky Tobey with his double chin, but still the same old flick so far.

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Nah, but 'God Only Knows' of The Beach Boys does. 

For once, Al, I agree with you.

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

One of my absolute favorite songs! I'll take Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys over The Beatles any time.

SACRILEGE!!!!!!

13 hours ago, Richard said:

SACRILEGE!!!!!!

At least we can agree on that, Richard. No matter how good or great any other band was, I think The Beatles defined or are responsible for the music that I loved in the years after The Fab Four. Indeed, every band that I ever liked can be traced back to them. It's legitimate to say they are the most influential band of all time, even though some would say that honor should go to Kraftwerk. 😮 😲:blink: 

34 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

At least we can agree on that, Richard. No matter how good or great any other band was, I think The Beatles defined or are responsible for the music that I loved in the years after The Fab Four. Indeed, every band that I ever liked can be traced back to them. It's legitimate to say they are the most influential band of all time, even though some would say that honor should go to Kraftwerk. 😮 😲:blink: 

The Beatles: their influence--untouchable. Their music...unlistenable. ;)