What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I've seen (parts of) Uwe Boll movies made more competently made than this. It looks like they farmed out rough descriptions of spectacle sequences (make a cool battle on the ice at least 15 minutes long) to effect houses all over the world and then a sleepy intern slapped them together during the witching hour before they dumped it on the unsuspecting public. There's no rhyme or reason on display here, it seems untouched by someone who ever read a book, leave alone Tolkien: it's a giant mess. One hour in i couldn't take my eyes off because it was all so incompetent. Dear Peter, whatever happened, i feel deeply sorry for you.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

337?cb=20150326031548

Christmas night family choice: i kept my mouth shut but what abomination that draggy piece of shit was.

Incredibly boring movie.  And every comedy or emotional moment seems exceedingly cringe worthy.  Jackson got bored.  Or he was forced to make The Hobbit a trilogy and couldn't make it work.    

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I gave up after 5 minutes.

I also gave up on ...

winchester.jpg

It has nothing to offer but cheap jump scares. Very repetitive.

The ending was entertaining when it incorporated the 1906 San Francisco quake. Quite accurately too.

It is bad though. I did a bad horror marathon of this and truth or dare. 

14 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Joey and Alex agreeing on a movie? It's a Christmas miracle! 

When polar opposites come to the same conclusion, it must be the truth. Think about this whenever you feel the urge to watch ... WInchester.

After spending a lovely Christmas Day with my friends and their family (fuck me, I could eat Brussels sprouts all fucking year and I wouldn't get tired of them!), I finished-off the evening with a glass of chilled red wine, wh - yes, chilled! - while wat - no, I'm not a Philistine! (sigh) - while watching THE I.P.C.R.E.S.S. FILE. Perfect late-night Crimbo telly.

Not a lot of people know that :)

On 12/25/2018 at 12:17 PM, publicist said:

337?cb=20150326031548

Christmas night family choice: i kept my mouth shut but what abomination that draggy piece of shit was.

It's an horrendous movie, putting in full display Peter Jackson's worst tendencies that were already starting to show in the LOTR trilogy

28 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Man With The Golden Gun - not one of Moore's finest Bond outings, but still a lot of fun. Christopher Lee has a nicely urbane turn as Scaramanga. 

Hey I like it! I don't care that the baddie caresses a chick with his golden gun.

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

In '88/'89, the talent at ILM, went on THE ABYSS.

They were spread very thin in 89, iirc. 

It's true that ILM were working on too many productions as the Eighties drew to a close ... the Ronald Lacey 'melting face' effect from Raiders still looks great, the Julian Glover 'rapidly ageing face' one from Last Crusade does not despite it being the more recent of the two.        

v1.bTsxMjA5OTUyODtqOzE3OTE1OzEyMDA7MTUzN

In post-war Yorkshire, food rationing leads a married couple (Michael Palin & Maggie Smith) to become involved in the flourishing bacon black market, to be precise, when the local pillars of society fatten a pig for a secret banquet, Palin steals it and hilarity ensues. It's a piffle but so wicked and unruly it's great fun.

51 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I quite liked that aging effect.

Fun fact #538:

The "Donovan ageing" shot, was the first shot evert to be composited digitally.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Hey I like it! I don't care that the baddie caresses a chick with his golden gun.

There's a useful four-letter word...and you're full of it.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

v1.bTsxMjA5OTUyODtqOzE3OTE1OzEyMDA7MTUzN

In post-war Yorkshire, food rationing leads a married couple (Michael Palin & Maggie Smith) to become involved in the flourishing bacon black market, to be precise, when the local pillars of society fatten a pig for a secret banquet, Palin steals it and hilarity ensues. It's a piffle but so wicked and unruly it's great fun.

"Get your foot off my bonnet" :lol:

Temple of Doom the best shot of all the Indiana Jones films. The cinematography is utterly brilliant. It's a color movie but it's shot as if it was black and white. The shadow play in Willy's room is absolutely stunning.

Only at JWfan!

Raiders is more classy while TOD with its burlesque excessiveness is bordering on kitsch.

9 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

It's a color movie but it's shot as if it was black and white.

That's true for Raiders as well.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

TOD with its burlesque excessiveness is bordering on kitsch.

Albeit intentionally so; and I'm saying this as someone who isn't necessarily the biggest fan of that film.

12 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Temple of Doom the best shot of all the Indiana Jones films. The cinematography is utterly brilliant. It's a color movie but it's shot as if it was black and white. The shadow play in Willy's room is absolutely stunning.

Oh my god, we actually agree on something!

20 hours ago, Richard said:

Fun fact #538:

The "Donovan ageing" shot, was the first shot evert to be composited digitally.

There's a useful four-letter word...and you're full of it.

Another Last Crusade fun fact ... it wasn't 'Indiana Jones And The Holy Grail' because the Pythons got there first. 

And Bond liked that Golden Gun line so much, he said it again in The Living Daylights. 

I just watched Earthquake for the first time, on BR.

Not bad!

Not much music though! But, well used and effective!

And it was fun to see Geneviève Bujold, I did'nt know she played in this movie!

Saving Mr Banks.

I'm a bit lost for words. Well, it's amazing how Emma Thompson, who was absolutely wonderful, reminds me of one of my English acquaintances. Luckily, that woman is much, much nicer than Travers. The flashbacks were very moving indeed, but I'm not convinced by the way Travers suddenly warmed up to all the songs written for Mary Poppins, but maybe that's just because because I hated each and every one of them in that stupid movie. No wonder she had misgivings. Now that I know none of that rubbish is in the book, I might have to read it one day.

Thomas Newman's score is obviously mostly excellent, particularly during the flashbacks, and I liked the references to the songs, most especially the orchestral accompaniment to Let's Go Fly A Kite.

The sugar-coated Tom Hanks Walt Disney was more intolerable than that woman, who seemed reasonable enough. The smoking PSA scene was especially embarrassing.

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Ni!

the-knight-1-e1534824598224.jpg

I used to confuse the knight with the old guy with the shovel from Home Alone. I think one of them was also in Always and the Amazing Stories with the train.

On 12/26/2018 at 12:36 PM, Romão said:

It's an horrendous movie, putting in full display Peter Jackson's worst tendencies that were already starting to show in the LOTR trilogy

But the poster claims it's the defining chapter.