What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

So go ahead. Watch JP/// or Jurassic World or Jurassic World II for all I care. I've been on too many safaris with rich dentists to watch anymore crappy movies. Okay?

7 hours ago, Ii2 said:

Empire Of The Sun (1987)

The boy is reunited with his parents at the end.

Is he?

The most poignant, and most important shot in the film, is the low-angle shot of Jim's parents walking right by him, neither recognising either. It summarises just how much Jim had changed, and it reinforces, visually, his line: "I can't remember what my parents look like".

Sure, he's back with his family, but how much is he "with" them?

Dawning - Dawning is an expertly crafted psychological horror film on a punishingly small scale.  Two (not especially close) siblings, Aurora and Chris, join their estranged father and despised stepmother at their remote cabin in the woods, and from the moment the meet, the familial tension is palpable even while they remain amicable.  The facade begins to crack when Aurora's dog is found gored and the father decides to euthanize it, followed shortly thereafter by the terrifying arrival of a home-invading, wild-eyed, bloody man who overpowers the family (importantly, a stoned Chris who couldn't bring himself to shoot the man).  The man, though, claims to be helping them.  "It" killed his girlfriend out in the woods, and he's desperately seeking shelter from this malign entity (although assures them they'll be safe at daybreak).  As the family members debate how to handle the situation (particularly whether there is an evil presence in the woods), the fundamentally unstable natures of their relationships become painfully clear, and by zeroing in on their terror, the film never provides any hints as to what truly is happening to them.

Spoiler

Even by the end, it's never explicitly said whether a supernatural presence was involved.  Personally, I'm inclined to think not.  Richard, blackout drunk, was startled by Laura before taking is own life.  Chris, established to be quite high over the course of the movie, is paranoid and unsure what's real, and in his utter panic crashes their car at high speed.  Aurora, left injured physically and emotionally by the night's events, returns to the cabin in a state of traumatic shock.  There's no "evil presence" in the woods: the man murdered his girlfriend and attacked the dog during a psychotic break, and the escalating fear ultimately ended in the characters' fates.  Besides, what's scarier--a mind-influencing adverse force stalking the woods, or the knowledge that given enough terror and tension, a family can end their own lives out of fear incarnate?

The scale of the film is remarkably compact: the cast consists of five members total, and the entire plot unfolds at one cabin and its immediate surroundings over the course of a single night.  Most films would buckle under such tight constraints, but director Gregg Holtgrewe and his cast (of whom David Coral is particularly notable) adeptly mold that closeness into claustrophobia.  A major contributor to that claustrophobia is Nathaniel Levisay's sparsely spotted but devastatingly effective score that often sounds like something you'd find on ScoreFollower.  Loaded with extended techniques (I can't actually identify some of them), clusters, and aleatoric desynchronization, the music is perfectly nasty without giving into the cheap stock sounds lesser composers might employ.

The Game

This was so damn good, I didn't look at my phone even once. In fact, when I experience movies like this, I get depressed afterward because I may never unsee it and can never experience seeing it for the first time again.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Talk about an elaborate scheme just for a damn sleep-in! Maybe he dreamed the whole day. No doubt @Horner's Dynamic Range noticed this shot if you've seen it. Look carefully.

20190128_035000.jpg

Schindler's List

Spielberg depicts the Holocaust rather then explains it, or put in any kind of broader WWII context. Schindler's List stays tightly focused on the experiences of the Krakow Jews as their situation changes from bad to worse, and the industrialist who will eventually use the vast fortune he made earlier in the war to save him.

To Spielberg's and Neeson's credit, it is never explicitly clear when Oskar goes from being a war profiteer, caring only for his own financial opportunities, the to man who's actually worthy to have a film madd out of. It certainly isn't the "red coat" girl. Its not so much a chance of character even. Throughout the 3+ hours Schindler does much the same. Bribing army officers, greasing palms, rubbing elbows with a brazen gal and penache and an utter self confidence that he eventually marches into Auschwitz, drops some diamonds on the table, and demands he's given "his" Jews back.

Otherwise Schindler remains largely an enigma. Oskar was a con man, playing a long game, and never showing his hand. Neeson finds little nuances in his performance that make him more then a cypher though.

Is the film still "valid" today, apart from a film about the Holocaust? Modern comparisons between Germany's racial policies and those in modern democratic countries are rife in the media and social networks today. 

Thats too crass and easy though. Its validity as applied to modern times is that one can fight evil! That we can trick it, massage it, work it, survive it! Evil is ultimately stupid, and blind, and shortsighted. It can be outlived!

God? Zilla. That's what Japanese sailors called him in song. A mythological sea dragon that filled their hearts with fear. It has become our modern day terror. Who is this Godzilla? Where did he come from? Why is he here? A direct path can be traced from the island of Manhattan to Chicago, where research leader Dr. Nick Tapodopoulos was in a parade that passed by a theater showing Godzilla 85.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Schindler's List

Haven't seen that in ages. I've seen the climax in a memorial day a year or two age, and that's it.

In Israel, Schindler's List isn't treated like a movie. Its a sort of "thing" that people watch, once, on one memorial day or another.

Almost a rite of passage, really. The same can apply to The Pianist, as well.

9 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Stays with you.

Strangly enough, it didn't. I recall very, very little of watching it: mostly near the beginning of the film, I think. Ditto the Pianist, which I watched the day before at the time, if I recall correctly. I wasn't particularly young (obviously) so that's not the cause of it. I guess having the two films lumped together in my mind made the ability to recall details from them kind of tricky: they got mixed up.

They're the only sort of thing that airs on memorial day. As I recall it, I was actually in Poland at the time, on a school trip to the death camps.

The part I remember most from The Pianist is how friggin fast he seems to recover from a massive tinnitus spike after being almost blasted by a tank. In reality, his ear would have been in debilitating pain for months following that incident, with likely severe irreparable damage to his inner ear, with probable hair cell damage and destruction of the delicate ribbon synapses. It's a wonder he was able to play piano again given the searing pain the sound of the key strikes must have caused him.

Meh. People often survive the implausible in movies. It happens even in what are considered to be quite grounded or grubby action films, like The Dark Knight or Apocalypto.

As long as it doesn't stretch credulity too far, and doesn't happen too often in the course of the picture, I'm usually fine with it.

Just now, dougie said:

The part I remember most from The Pianist is how friggin fast he seems to recover from a massive tinnitus spike after being almost blasted by a tank. In reality, his ear would have been in debilitating pain for months following that incident, with likely severe irreparable damage to his inner ear, with probable hair cell damage and destruction of the delicate ribbon synapses. It's a wonder he was able to play piano again given the searing pain the sound of the key strikes must have caused him.

After the war Szpilman kept on composing and playing for many more decades. There is no mention of any hearing problems

18 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Haven't seen that in ages. I've seen the climax in a memorial day a year or two age, and that's it.

In Israel, Schindler's List isn't treated like a movie. Its a sort of "thing" that people watch, once, on one memorial day or another.

Almost a rite of passage, really. The same can apply to The Pianist, as well.

Well it got a cinematic rerelease on Holocaust Memorial Day.

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

After the war Szpilman kept on composing and playing for many more decades. There is no mention of any hearing problems

Unless the tinnitus moment was made up just for the movie. But still, they chose to emphasise it in that moment, which I suppose means filmmakers know crap all about the impact that noise-induced hearing damage can have on a person's quality of life.

3 hours ago, dougie said:

Unless the tinnitus moment was made up just for the movie. 

You've probably heard a 'temporary high pitch after an explosion' in movies many times before but never really paid much attention to it. 

2 minutes ago, dougie said:

ENTs and audiologists have admitted in their own ways to me that there's nothing that can be done. 

I could have told you that. In fact, I think I did. There is no cure for tinnitus.

Just now, Stefancos said:

So no more music? No more movies at a loud volume?

Will you be able to see Godzilla: King Of Monsters in the cinema even?

No to all the above. It'll be a desolate existence from now on.