What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

14 hours ago, Ii2 said:

I watched Raiders Of The Lost Ark over the weekend

You mean Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I have no time to write about these in further detail, so here's the low-down. Some spoilers, so yeah.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald (2018) :down:

What an utterly terrible installment. Complete slog. Confusing, uneventful and cluttered. Poorly directed.

When I saw the first film I thought that this would be a Wizarding World venture that I could get into- it had a little more appeal to me than Harry Potter. But this sequel is a total fallout. I mean, I'm not a fan of Harry Potter really, but at least those had a certain charm to them, even in their worst moments. Credence's heritage as a plot line is such a messy business. I had such a hard time making the connections because they weren't delivered clearly. And there was no colour to the photography (save for an indistinct fire and ice/water spectacle that makes no sense). 

It's very difficult to take Johnny Depp seriously as Grindlewald, and Jude Law's Dumbledore is hardly even involved.

Fortunately, James Newton Howard's score is way to good for this movie. One of the few positive takeaways. 

Batman (1989) :up:

The saving fate of this week in movies for me. Jack Nicholson is an incredible Joker. What a showing from Burton, Elfman and company. Great sets, a ridiculous script (Joker's lines continue to resound in my head throughout the week), and plenty of dark Burtonisms. 

Batman Returns (1992) :down:

Hoo-boy. Here we go. A severe drop in quality. I dislike Catwoman and Penguin very much. The thing with Burton's wild film ideologies is that they either work wonderfully or they fail miserably. Batman Returns does the latter for me, and while it's tough to beat the original it doesn't do itself any favours. 

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) :down::mellow::up:

It's good and it's not that good. It is Leone's Western masterpiece. It is wonderfully shot and well "set up". But at the end of the day the story wasn't all that easy for me to follow, and once I got it I didn't really latch on. Great characters, but I can't really remember what they were up to. It's nowhere near as fun as the Dollars trilogy, but it has it's moments. Morricone's score is a wonder. 

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

This is how the movie in now called on home video releases Alex.

61H2YD-bubL._SY445_.jpg

It appeases millennials and gen Zers

To paraphrase Mr. Scott, Sir we"re already dead.

Soon to rise the Pathetic generation full of hipsters, vapers, manbuns, and douchebags.

2 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Moderator!  There's still politics in my thread!

You don't know what you are talking about. 

Am I the only one who doesn't care how people refer to ROTLA? I've always been pretty lax with movie titles. You can call it Raiders of the Lost Ark, Raiders, Indiana Jones 1, Indy 1, the original, the first one, the one with the melting Nazis etc. I'm positive almost no one refers to it as Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark except the covers Don LaFontaine in that THX version trailer.

25 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Yeah, but I actually majored in satire.

That is most unfortunate. 

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So you love Batman Comes Back, The Jedi Returns and Double Peaks?

No one calls them that.

I referred to Batman Returns as Batman II before and even after I knew the title.

Star Wars titles have so many interpretations it's ridiculous.

Star Wars VI

Star Wars: Episode VI

Episode VI

Return of the Jedi

Jedi

The last one

The one with the Ewoks

Breaking In

Formulaic but watchable entry in the home invasion genre. I got my two hours worth of fun.

Mary Shelley

Dark and gothic, but neatly hopeful. Those bohemian dickheads she lived with for a while reminded me of a lot of the braindead artiste types I went to uni with. Yeesh, not a lot has changed.

This summer I'll do a runthrough of many classic iconic influential or just plain popular films... that I have never seen, with a few exceptions. The very wide general name could be historical epics, but war is also a common theme, as is a mostly non-fantastical, at least semi-realistic setting and some are not that epic perhaps... let's just call it the butt-numb-a-thon. Got 28 of them lined up, but we'll have to see for how long can I tolerate the military stuff and how heavy some of them will be on jerking them off!

Where else to begin than...

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Képernyőfelvétel (41).png

Quite grand! I was almost surprised I made it through (with a dinner break at the intermission) quite enjoying it - only from the middle of the second part was I a little bored before things went south (ha!). Looks great, too. Isn't it a bit scary that it's two years closer to the year the opening takes place than to today?

Some of the aspects and implications of the setting are of course unfortunate... it did, as I read, remove the book's KKK glorification reference and toned down the language a bit, but still, "a dream remembered" and all... eh, at least race and slavery are not the central focus at all, just an element.

Spanglish.

This movie was always going to spark my curiosity because I've experienced culture shocks myself and because the film is spoken in the two languages I studied. When I watched it for the first time, I remember really hating Téa Leoni's character, but the actress is just incredible. I've always loved Adam Sandler and the way he says 'nice meeting you' to Flor after their Christina conversation just broke my heart, but he wasn't great all the time. Granted, he did what he could. Cecilia Suárez was a pleasant surprise and Paz Vega just convinced me to start practicing Spanish again. However, the movie is a little corny at times, which is really pity because it could have been great: why does the grandma have to sing, why does a daughter cry at a great review of her dad's restaurant, why the forced romance between Sandler and Vega in the second half that should have been set up a bit earlier? Why does an English-speaking family hire a Spanish-speaking nanny and what has going to university have to do with identifying with your mother? Are they implying Hispanic people should never attend college? Other than that, it's good, there are some great jokes... but then Flor's English improves disturbingly quickly and it just falls apart.

The score is truly excellent, one of Zimmer's very best. The love theme in particular is incredibly touching and even though I had lost nearly all interest at the end, the music during that cringeworthy, intimate conversation between Flor and John nearly made me want to cry.

Casablanca

Not bad! Interesting setup, had some great and funny lines. I don't quite see the object of massive glorification in it.

Thor: The Darkworld

This is not good. I mean, I guess it has enough spectacle, good visuals and Marvel's trademark humour to avoid being considered "bad", outright. But that's just the issue: it feels like the approach of a risk-averse businessman would take to narrative. i.e. by rarely giving into complete earnestness, Marvel's ensuring that their films will rarely be impactful but - on the other hand - they will always be too light for critics and audiences to rib them as they would a more earnst narrative.

Nowhere is this more appearant than in the villain, Malekith (had to look his name up). Its not that he lacks nuance. Its that he lacks menace. We just don't see him do much villany, and his Azog-esque foreign-language syndrome isn't working for me.

The narrative of the film contains vestiges of what one would assume were fleshed-out subplots in the screenplay: an implicit romantic triangle between Thor, Jane and Sif which never materializes; a vengeful Odin (for a grand total of five minutes); Jane becoming corrupted by the Ether, etcetra...

**1/2 out of *****

1 hour ago, The Original said:

Only the Thor movies mattered anyway because they had Padme in them.

Jay: "Only the Thor movies mattered anyway because they had Kat Dennings in them."

Alex: "I don't remember Thor: The Dark World, but I probably got through to the movie because of Loki and daddy Hopkins."

Alex 2: "Thank god for the Russo Brothers!"

Interstellar

Its good, but boy oh boy Nolan's dialogues are as endless as the space vistas he puts on screen!

***1/2 out of *****

He's like the inverse of Mel Gibson!

Both have ridiculously high production values, good with actors, make tonally very serious films and often visually-arresting. But the one absolutely smothers his films in dialogue, and the other strips it back as much as possible.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Nolan always seems to spoil his movies with words.

Save Dunkirk, where nobody said nothing, and its a snooze!

Just now, Chen G. said:

He's like the inverse of Mel Gibson!

He's the anti-Kubrick.