What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

King Solomon's Mines (1985)

I bought the bluray (along with its sequel Allan Quatermain and the lost city of gold).

Well, it surely isn't a very good movie. It's a bit entertaining but I had it in my mind from my childhood as something better.

I enjoy though the Jerry Goldsmith score and especially the theme which I like almost as the Indiana Jones theme.

One thing I don't like about the score though it's that he used a Ride of the Valkyries variation as the Germans' theme.

The Witch is a fine period piece that explores paranoia very well. It’s not scary though. But I like it.

Also, all you Vertigo haters are crazy. It’s a great film, featuring Herrmann’s best score, if not one of the greatest film scores ever.

5 hours ago, KK said:

The Witch is a fine period piece that explores paranoia very well. It’s not scary though. But I like it.

Also, all you Vertigo haters are crazy. It’s a great film, featuring Herrmann’s best score, if not one of the greatest film scores ever.

You need to re-read. No one hates on the film. No one.

Watching 5 Came Back. Its a great B film from 1939. Its the movie that put Lucille Ball into the A list category. 

She is so lovely to look at.

I watched First Man, twice actually. I only saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, but I felt compelled to watch it again for the Apollo 11 anniversary.

I've long wished I could have been there in 1969 (10 years before I was born) to witness the coverage of the first Lunar landing live. I always imagined the awe and excitement that must have been felt by those following it, and the the film conveys that well. But more than that, it portrays something else that I'd never consciously thought about before: The personal impressions of the crew, from being inside the cramped spacecraft with a limited view outside, something that most films of this type fail to portray by showing spectacular outside views (in fact, First Man manages to sneak several of those in for the actual Apollo 11 launch without distracting from the more intimate perspective by focusing very much exclusively on that during the earlier Gemini 8 sequence), to the tangible atmosphere of the awe, incredibility, and to a degree absurdity, of people actually, consciously being the first ever to arrive on the Moon. In that regard, the film is a rather singular experience.

It's well shot, too, with some beautiful images. Hurwitz' Glass-like score works well and is powerful when required. Ryan Gosling is good in the lead, but Claire Foy, who I haven't seen in anything else yet, is brilliant.

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I watched First Man, twice actually. I only saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, but I felt compelled to watch it again for the Apollo 11 anniversary.

I highly reccomend Apollo 11, a new documentary from earlier this year. It goes pretty well hand in hand with First Man- one an adapted biopic, the other being an exquisite compilation of superbly remastered audio and video from the real thing. Don't let the documentary categorization fool you, it isn't your typical talking heads type of thing. The only voices you hear are the ones of the astronauts and NASA intercoms. The footage is remarkable! It's a must see as far as I'm concerned.

30 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I highly reccomend Apollo 11, a new documentary from earlier this year. It goes pretty well hand in hand with First Man- one an adapted biopic, the other being an exquisite compilation of superbly remastered audio and video from the real thing. Don't let the documentary categorization fool you, it isn't your typical talking heads type of thing. The only voices you hear are the ones of the astronauts and NASA intercoms. The footage is remarkable! It's a must see as far as I'm concerned.

They had a few select screening of that at the local theatre, sadly only when I didn't have time to go. I definitely plan to pick it up on Blu-ray though.

In the meantime, I have this on in the background:

https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

I watched the first half of Burton's Batman with my 6yr old son yesterday evening, he said we'll finish it on Sunday.

I hadn't watched this properly for probably getting on for 25 years. Brucie found Jack Napier and The Joker a bit too scary, and he was put off watching a bit, but he held out for the Keaton Batman scenes, because he quite vocally found those parts very cool.

I reckon the best moment in the movie is the extended batmobile drive out of the city and towards the batcave. It's a genuinely badass moment, with the moody music and all that.

Not a bad movie I suppose, but bloody hell its old lookin' and even older feelin'.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:01 PM, filmmusic said:

King Solomon's Mines (1985)

I bought the bluray (along with its sequel Allan Quatermain and the lost city of gold).

Well, it surely isn't a very good movie. It's a bit entertaining but I had it in my mind from my childhood as something better.

I enjoy though the Jerry Goldsmith score and especially the theme which I like almost as the Indiana Jones theme.

One thing I don't like about the score though it's that he used a Ride of the Valkyries variation as the Germans' theme.

The result of Cannon noting the success of the first 2 Indy movies and thinking 'We'll have some of that, but on the cheap!' 

Batman '89 finished with my lad. He didn't mind it and neither did I. The cathedral finale is still cool. I liked the gothic Batman imagery as he walked through the dust and smoke on the bottom floor, it was pure comic book art.

Never mind that - how was he even up there in the first place?

Quintus - watching Birdman. It's been a Keaton couple of days. But exhausted already by the single shot camera work that is this film's central gimmick, with another hour to get through yet.

E.T.&ElliotForevs, we can't only ever talk about Batman for all eternity, occasionally we gotta try other stuff, otherwise we get too comfy and become dull.

It's not the most comfortable fit, no. Basically they made a movie about celebs for celebs, so it's not the most easy thing to relate to, but I can still sort of appreciate the honesty in the execution. Plus Keaton got nuts with Ed Norton, which was a highlight. It's hard-going though, I admit. A right cunt of a film actually.

MV5BZTU1MzU3ZTktMTEwZC00MGU3LWE1YTktY2Rl

I made it through another one of Michael Winner's sloppy crime flicks. This caused objection because of its gluttonuous depiction of rape and violence back then, though it's the bad/dumb writing that's the culprit here. And a really strange rock/funk hybrid score by Jimmy Page.

There is probably a cut version around - minus all the lavishingly detailed rape shots which caused controversies here in 1982, apparently (the theory of life imitating 'art' was not yet debunked).

We've had our fair share of bannies, many of which have been lifted over the years. There was some controversy years ago when police stormed a screening of Ken Park at a film festival and threatened prosecution against the event organisers.

The Guardian - after the classic Exorcist, you'd have thought William Friedkin was at least a safe pair of directorial hands for a supernatural horror. But I have frankly flushed scarier things than this risible garbage. 

Stars Carey 'Pam Bouvier' Lowell and Jenny Seagrove, who does at least sportingly get her kit off a fair few times throughout.

Footnote about King Solomon's Mines - apparently Sharon Stone was cast accidentally. Menahem Golan told them he wanted 'that Stone woman' (meaning Kathleen Turner), but misunderstanding prevailed.