What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I can't think of a single musical incident in the 'trailing Madeline' cue that even remotely suggests sudden shock or anything like that. It's quite moody actually.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Creepy, with a bit of malintent, coupled with an emerging sexual frisson, hinting at the promise of things to come.

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Is there a ban on posting audio? Are we trying to hone our skills at descriptive writing?

Here's the music:

What I said.

4 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

What would Pauline Kael say about it?

The same.

War for the planet of the apes.

I only started enjoying it after the apes had found the girl. Adding her was a great idea and I really liked Bad Ape and the colonel telling his story to Caesar, but still think the apes talk too much and when Caesar was holding the colonel at gunpoint, I was more interested in checking my e-mail. That’s what you get when franchises just will not come to an end. The conclusion felt forced and rather cheap, but probably the best one they could give us. When are we getting the sequel in which European, Chinese and Russian forces decide that Nova is a danger to all of surviving humanity?

Giacchino’s tender music is great, but the rest of the music is decidedly weak and clearly meant not to be noticed. And when is this guy going to stop sucking the life out of the sound of an orchestra?

12 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

That’s what you get when franchises just will not come to an end.

Unless they make another one (which would be entirely redundant), its just three movies. I think it works: from the very first film you can get something of a sense for Caesar's traejectory, a sense which comes to pass in this film.

Chronicle - 'found footage' superhero-esque flick in which 3 high-school seniors develop telekinesis after discovering a mysterious object underground. After using their powers for pranking etc at first, things take a dark turn when 'cameraman' Andrew (Dane DeHaan) starts to use his in 'apex predator' ways. Fairly enjoyable, and at a brisk 80 minutes doesn't outstay its welcome. 

Dog Soldiers - tremendously entertaining action-horror in which squaddies on manevoures in the Scottish Highlands are besieged by a pack of werewolves. With Sean Pertwee, Kevin McKidd and Liam Cunningham.

La La Land

Watching this front to back for the first time, after having read the screenplay a while ago, I rather enjoyed it.  Chazelle's direction is what really shines here.  His ability to bring in panache with being pretentious is commendable.  The cinematography is excellent, and vibrant color is used to great effect, something somewhat missing from a lot of films these days.  For all the fantastical trappings it has, La La Land does have a rather grounded realistic center.  The key dinner scene is a potent and hard-hitting one especially.  Also very effective is the last one they are together outside the observatory.   

The performances are solid here, but I would have liked some more complexity to the characters.  

I liked the score, but found most of the songs a tad bit forgettable.  And, somehow, the fantasy sequence at the end, though a brilliant piece of visual filmmaking, rubbed me a little the wrong way.  

Certainly a decade-defining film.

3.5/4

Hook

This one is kind of watchable, but not especially good.   Hoffman steals the show, and, of course, Williams makes watching really worthwhile.  I think Spielberg was a little to close to the topic maybe and couldn't really translate whatever his vision was to the screen.  The whole thing feels rather awkward.   

2.5/4

Sense and Sensibility (1995)

An engrossing and magnificent masterpiece.  Thompson's script and performance are rather nigh to perfect.  The whole cast brings their A-game.  Lee's direction is faultless, and all elements are wonderfully immersive.  A delight to watch.  Doyle's score does not stand out too much, but quits its task very well.

4/4

3 hours ago, SteveMc said:

The key dinner scene is a potent and hard-hitting one especially. 

Great scene that one is. And how the argument ends with the interruption of the smoke alarm, a microcosmic representation of their troubled relationship which may have, so to speak, also started to let off smoke. Chazelle employed this same little intricacy in First Man. When Neil receives word about the fire in the plugs out test and the death of his friends, a glass breaks in his hand and cuts his palm. 

Wake Wood - reasonably creepy Irish horror about a couple who lose their young daughter via a dog attack and upon moving to the titular small town by way of dealing with their grief discover that there is a ritual by which she can be 'brought back' for 3 days, with warnings of serious consequences if they breach the terms of said ritual. With Aidan Gillen and Timothy Spall.    

2 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Pet Sematary and the original Wicker Man both came to mind while watching it ... Buffy not so much, although granted I never watched that.    

Ah, there was an ep where Buffy's little sister attempted to resurrect her dead mum using some demon spell, but the spell can result in the dead coming back "wrong" somehow. They didn't explain it well.

I liked Anthony Head in that Doctor Who episode he was in, and his appearances in the early Noughties Beeb sketch show Little Britain. He also shared his chips with somebody I know at a convention ... nice guy, it seems. 

I watched a good chunk of Young Sherlock Holmes on Prime last night and I intend to finish it tonight. I like it. It's one of the few Amblin features produced by Spielberg where you can actually detect his involvement. Cool effects, nice music and obvious influence on Harry Potter but done better because it has a superior love story.

It’s too much of an “info-dump” movie...and tried to compensate with overwhelming style.

But I still kind of liked it. Bale was great, and the score was good.

I've met senior bureaucrats who have similar personality types to Cheney and they're agonisingly boring to be around and are frustratingly humourless. They awkwardly try to crack a joke and everyone else pretends to laugh along and I'm sitting there like "wtf".

6 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

A grand story and a massive scale. Top-notch battle sequences.

Not the DC version?!

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So a movie having a political slant is....bad?

Not at all.  Politics can be an excellent driving force  But, a movie primarily built around a political agenda, with that overshadowing everything else, can be problematic.. 

Sunshine (1999) - pretty much purely because if the Jarre credits on the Tadlow Lawrence of Arabia.

What is it with Ralph Fiennes and Hungary? Count Almásy (English Patient), Grand Budapest Hotel and this.

So this is a historical drama about a Jewish-Hungarian family in the first half of the 20th century, through 3 generations of males and their progressive loss of family- and self-identity (and late attempts to recapture them) tangled up in and caused by the events of those tumultous times. All 3 men are played by Fiennes which sounds super gimmicky but actually it just works. 

It's pretty interesting but not perfect: I don't think it's too long since all 3 generations have roughly an hour dedicated to them, but it can be unfocused and not greatly structured. The script has weak points, especially one ridiculously textbook-flavoured outburst explaining motivations and the political situation, with one of the hammiest (in a bad way) I've ever seen Ralph being. Being local I did get a huge kick out of Mari Törőcsik hugging Aunt May, for example, though! It looks pretty nice and as expected with such a concept, there are many nice visual or thematic callbacks, a somewhat circular structure - for example every Ralph choosing societally more or less unacceptable female companions over better choices, thus quasi-cursing themselves, and the relationships getting rougher and worse every generation. Despite all this loss and worsening though, there is a light - sunshine - at the end of the tunnel.

I'm glad I saw it, wouldn't know who to recommend it to. It's shot in English if that's what you're afraid of.