What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Founder (2016)

Michael Keaton is excellent in this driving film about greed, determination, genius, opportunism and hamburgers.  It does a wonderful job of both idealizing and criticizing the American corporate and entrepreneurial ideal.  Michael Corenblith's production design deserves special mention.  

3.5/4

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Values is far and away the better of the two I think.  The summer camp plot is just comedy gold, and I love the "chemistry" between Christopher Lloyd and Joan Cusack.

It’s a classic in my book. The cast is impeccable. 

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

There's nothing quite like it. It goes beyond narrative. The tone of it, the look of it, the aproach of it...it's very unique.  It just oozes vision. Real vision

Completely, utterly unique!

And oops, I meant to post this in "older films" not "newer films."  Ah well, this movie is timeless!

It's more of a fey puppet show, yes, but it's the only true cinematic realization, together with the (more classical) Badham version, most others are shite or coming up short, and i include the old Lugosi and the Hammer version. 

4 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

I remember people hated it for a long time.

I remember people laughing with Keanu Reeves' performance. That said, I thought he was actually entertaining, but he did seem a bit lightweight for the job.

Don't understand why Disco posts that bad pic though. 

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

really awkward casting and performances (Keanu: "Aye say, is the cahstle faah")

Yes, that bit was funny. 

I've seen it a couple of times back then. I remember that I liked it but that somehow the film sabotages itself near the end. I forgot the details.

The ending was the dumbest thing to me because Winona is on Dracula's dick even though he himself is a huge dick and killed the other babe and even had her man imprisoned. She's pathetic!

1 hour ago, publicist said:

It's more of a fey puppet show, yes, but it's the only true cinematic realization, together with the (more classical) Badham version, most others are shite or coming up short, and i include the old Lugosi and the Hammer version. 

What about the 20s one where Dracula had a big ugly rat head?

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Dear God, Dracula is just beyond gorgeous.  Received my 4K blu ray this week and I am astounded as always at the hyper-stylized, wonderfully old school visuals and general atmosphere.

IMG_4428.jpg

Looks like this would benefit enormously from HDR.

The Usual Suspects

I just wanna say: The score is a generous and weak copy-pasting of several clichés that worked decades ago, when they weren't overused yet - primitive, childish and incoherent scoring.

31 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The Usual Suspects

I just wanna say: The score is a generous and weak copy-pasting of several clichés that worked decades ago, when they weren't overused yet - primitive, childish and incoherent scoring.

Never mind the score. What was the movie like?

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The Usual Suspects

Good score!

17 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Directed by a sex fiend, starring a sex fiend.

Spacey was probably the victim of a slander campaign and should now be welcomed back into the fold. Ridley Scott in particular should apologise to him.

Swing Time (1936)

One of the great, charming romantic comedy musicals of the 30s starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, looking amazing on this Criterion blu-ray.  I love returning to these films from time to time (see also: Top Hat, Shall We Dance) as they never fail to leave me feeling happy.

Come for the effervescent dancing, the witty comedy, the Jerome Kern music (with arrangements by Robert Russell Bennett and others), and the gorgeous Art Deco sets.  This one has classic songs like “A Fine Romance” and “The Way You Look Tonight,” even performing them in counterpoint for the finale.

The highlights include the magical snow sequence where Astaire and Rogers trade off spurning each other’s advances (the chemistry between Astaire and Rogers is palpable!) and the extended fantasy dance number where Astaire dances with 3 of his own silhouettes, each 3 stories tall.

This is the kind of filmmaking you just luxuriate in like a warm bath

Wind Chill - student Emily Blunt uses the 'ride board' at her college to get a lift home for the Christmas holidays from a fellow student. In the midst of an argument over whether he's 100% trustworthy, their car crashes and gets stuck in the snow. It soon becomes apparent that the stretch of road they're stranded on is haunted ... 

Not a bad little horror. Has George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh amongst its exec producers.     

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

A solution of blood, sweat, grime, oil, dust, body ink, and testosterone, all of which are perfectly balanced with such precise concentrations and supreme skill in this delicious concoction of director Geogre Miller's creation. Simply one of the craziest and awesome action movies of all time, and one that is aware of so much else beside the action itself. Striking photography, unreal car chases and a very good story add layers to what would already be a more than passable action flick. Above and beyond, and was with it from the very start. 

5/5

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

I'll give most of the credit to Erich Maria Remarque's crucially important WWI novel for so much of the brilliantly done symbolism and the underlying lesson that the only thing worse than dying in the trenches was surviving. This Oscar-winning adaptation does a fair bit of justice for Remarque's book, and is quite an interesting taste of the way cinema was at the time. 

5/5

Only the Brave (2017)

Not very keeping. Perhaps one too many Josh Brolin or Jeff Bridges movies lately. 

3/5

Secret Path (2016)

Historically important animated short film created by Canadian icon Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip about a young Indigenous boy's experience in a residential school and his attempt to return to his family. Underscored by a number of wonderful and powerful songs, released on an album of the same name. I remember when this aired on the CBC a few years back but I hadn't seen the whole thing until now. It's available on YouTube on the CBC Arts channel. The actual short film is about 40 minutes with a longer documentary portion afterwards. 

5/5

Source code.

At first I thought the similarities between this movie and Edge of Tomorrow were going to bother me, but they didn’t. I really enjoyed the first half, but gradually lost faith in it as the ending unfolded. It doesn’t make sense at all: how on earth is he suddenly able to e-mail Goodwin and how does he continue to live? Doesn’t that mean that, if they continue with Source Code, countless captains will eventually show up in the same reality?

This was my first Chris Bacon score and it was very interesting too, especially the brass writing.

36 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

A solution of blood, sweat, grime, oil, dust, body ink, and testosterone, all of which are perfectly balanced with such precise concentrations and supreme skill in this delicious concoction of director Geogre Miller's creation. Simply one of the craziest and awesome action movies of all time, and one that is aware of so much else beside the action itself. Striking photography, unreal car chases and a very good story add layers to what would already be a more than passable action flick. Above and beyond, and was with it from the very start. 

The best film of the decade!

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

What did you think of Junkie XL's highly controversial, but very influent score?

I thought it worked wonderfully, chugging in musical power to an already million mile a minute movie. Don't think I'll ever listen to the album though. In fact, my biggest music-related takeaway was seeing Tom Hardy take down a couple of people with a flamethrower guitar. :lol:

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

I'll give most of the credit to Erich Maria Remarque's crucially important WWI novel for so much of the brilliantly done symbolism and the underlying lesson that the only thing worse than dying in the trenches was surviving. This Oscar-winning adaptation does a fair bit of justice for Remarque's book, and is quite an interesting taste of the way cinema was at the time. 

5/5

How was Ferguson's score?

Re: Fury Road

I know a few JWFans such as Quint and Justin find it boring. Why is that?

11 hours ago, Sir Hilary Bray said:

Torn Curtain, Topaz, The Birds and To Catch a Thief.

All solid, but minor, entries. TOPAZ is underrated.

11 hours ago, Sir Hilary Bray said:

Had I money I'd be hop footing soon to see The Third Man at Haymarket's cinema. 

Which cinema is that? Both The Plaza, and the Odeon closed, yonks ago. There was a Canon, but I'm not sure what it became, if anything.