What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Gravity.

Not bad, but I’ve heard enough panting for a week. Sandra Bullock wasn’t really great and they should have developed the relationship between her and Clooney: one sad conversation and a heroic sacrifice out of the blue is not enough. The movie somehow feels too short and too long at the same time because of that.

The score has interesting moments, but the final cue did not work for me at all.

Honestly, Gravity is such a visual film that I can understand you didn't care for it.

I’m actually not the biggest fan of Heavenly Creatures. It may be one of the most inventively-shot movies of all time: Jackson moves the camera constantly and does some whacky things with it. 

But the narrative is kind of all-over-the-place. The girls’ fantasy world isn’t woven into the film as consistently as I would have liked, and the father being laid off from work comes out of nowhere.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Honestly, Gravity is such a visual film that I can understand you didn't care for it.

Even 2D/3D actually makes a big difference for this one.

Heavenly Creatures is easily Peter Jackson's best film this side of LOTR. Perhaps even including LOTR, I'm too biased to judge that. I like his King Kong. I absolutely don't think the first act is too long. The second act is, but that's something it has in common with the 1933 original; virtually any criticism I have of PJ's second act also applies to that one. And I certainly felt compassion for Kong in the original version as well. The EE doesn't hurt much, but it's absolutely unnecessary - among other things, it restores the superfluous Triceratops scene that was just as superfluous in the original.

It's certainly much better than the Hobbit films.

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's certainly much better than the Hobbit films.

Its even less well-paced, the characters aren't as fleshed out, the effects are even more obvious and lots of threads are left unresolved.

3 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

The King Kong EE is awful.

I could do without it, but at least all the additions are from when we get to the island and going forward, rather than in the already overlong buildup to the arrival on Skull Island.

The characters are pretty lame. Adrian Brody and the blonde have no chemistry and they're so monotone. Jack Black is one of the the only guys really performing even though he was odd casting.

Jack Black is fine in the movie.

Ann is excellent, but her tragedy just isn't as compelling as Thorin's because it doesn't derive from a character flaw: she just has really shitty luck, and while it admittedly makes for a good sob-story, those aren't the best tragic figures in films.

I don't care for Adrien Brody in the film.

I have fond memories of seeing King Kong in the theater in 2005, but a masterpiece it ain’t.  My affection for it now is basically the same as my affection for the SW prequels: a lot of it is pretty risibly bad and in college, my friends and I would have fun watching and mercilessly roasting it.  It’s actually a pretty hilarious movie.  

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

One of my favourite Peter Jackson things of recent years, for obvious reasons - 

2:19! Funny as!!!

Where's this from, Sweep? For a couple of non-actors, they're pretty good.

I assume that you've seen THE 5-ISH DOCTORS?

A bit more too it than that, but it’s just a bit too whacky to me.

Camerawork is astounding, though.

4 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Isn’t Heavenly Creatures just another one of those lesbian melodramas with a bittersweet ending? 

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Isn’t Heavenly Creatures just another one of those lesbian melodramas with a bittersweet ending? 

Plenty of girl-on-girl action. What's not to like?

Besides, it's better than CAROL.

56 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

No love for The Frighteners? 

It's probably his most all-round entertaining film.

20 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

2:19! Funny as!!!

Where's this from, Sweep? For a couple of non-actors, they're pretty good.

I assume that you've seen THE 5-ISH DOCTORS?

Not 100% sure of its origins. Very funny, though. 

Yes, have seen that. Also a hoot! 

Magnum Force - inevitably not as seminal a work as Dirty Harry, but still pretty cool. Good to see Eastwood getting involved in the stuntwork, there's some nice laconic wit and Schifrin provides another terrific score.          

Prisoners. I'd heard very strong word of mouth about this movie, so I expected something very good. It was a well crafted and engrossing abduction thriller, and the gloomy setting and the way the town was filmed was really effective at tapping into the "every parent's worst nightmare" sense of bleak helplessness, at least in the first couple of acts. Unfortunately I thought the resolution and the big reveal brought it down a fair few pegs, as corny Hollywood tropes intruded into proceedings as per the norm, harming the experience a notable amount for my liking. I'd been hoping for something a little nastier as the story climaxed, but little Carrie Anne proved once again that little lost girls don't step into the light that often in Hollywood. 4 out of 5 good not great.

Google tells me Capaldi went to New Zealand for a Who festival in 2015 ... I guess him being there, Jackson's long-standing Who fandom and Moffat saying that he'd spoken to him about directing an episode go quite some way to explaining that clip.    

Also, many of the YouTube comments mention the copy of The Silmarillion on the table with the Post-It page markers sticking out of it ... Jackson trolling the LOTR fandom there, lol.  

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

He did that, with THE HOBBIT.

Indeed, it was horrific to give my hard earned money to pay a ridiculously expensive ticket for The Battle of the Five Armies on 48fps.

Gosh, I hate that movie.

The Bounty (1984)

Solid retelling of the Mutiny on the Bounty.  It stands rather well, and forms a coherent whole.  Shot solidly and with engaging performances from Hopkins, Gibson, Neeson, and Day-Lewis.  Olivier looks very frail in his scenes.  The somewhat critical treatment of Fletcher is also appreciated.  

There are some issues, however.  Cutting back and forth from the story to Bligh's trial takes the viewer out of the moment.  And, I was not sold on the way the film handled Bligh's turning on Fletcher, making latent erotic attraction on the part of Bligh appear the major factor.  I was not satisfied that the full picture of the two men's motivations was given.

But, a solid film nonetheless.

3/4

Well, normally he produces his albums quite differently to what is heard in the movie. So I'm sure he would be able to make a nice listening experience out of it. He does make great albums

5 hours ago, Romão said:

I think just the opening and closing tracks on a Vangelis movie themes compilation

It's called THEMES.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Never released, right?

Hmm, not quite. There's a rerecording of the score, that's meant to be faithful (vintage synths., etc.).