What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

https://film.avclub.com/the-stephen-king-cinematic-renaissance-could-really-use-1837957062

Following his contentious dismissal from The Walking Dead in 2013 and the disappointment of TNT not renewing his last project, Mob City, for a second season, he needed to get away from Hollywood for a while. “You’ve seen those old World War II movies where the B-17 is coming in and it’s shot up and on one engine and there’s only one wheel and the belly lands on the runway? That’s what I felt like. I felt like that B-17 at the end of this incredibly fortunate run of work that I did. And so when somebody said, ‘Hey, are you going to do The Long Walk or not?’ I said, you know what, let somebody else do it. It’s not fair to somebody else who might want to do it.”

He isn’t involved with Øvredal’s project, but he praises a “pretty darn faithful” script that may or may not bee the one penned by attached screenwriter James Vanderbilt (Zodiac, White House Down). It’s likely, however, that it is, as reports say that Vanderbilt wrote his script on spec several years ago in anticipation of the rights opening up.

He didn’t reveal too much, however, as he’s enjoying his time outside the limelight. “I’ve really taken most of the last five years off. Call it a sabbatical. It could be a retirement. Who knows?” he said. “I’ve got a few things I’m working on that I would be passionate enough about to get back into the line of fire, but nothing that’s real at the moment.” Another King story, perhaps? He wouldn’t say. He did put forth, however, that the two King properties he thinks “deserve a revisit” are The Stand and Salem’s Lot, both of which are currently in development, one as a CBS All Access series and the other as a film from producer James Wan and It screenwriter Gary Dauberman.

46 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The JWFan Schindler's List ending controversy AGAIN???

Urrrrggggghhhhh

Next up: 2001: A Space Odyssey, followed by Blade Runner. And then something about Alien.

I reckon we're overdue for another JWFan Grand Nolan Assessment as well.

dAWx7MZ.png

59 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The JWFan Schindler's List ending controversy AGAIN???

I actually like the scene where Schindler leaves. The handshake always gets to me. It's a great moment for those characters and musically as well. 

36 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

I reckon we're overdue for another JWFan Grand Nolan Assessment as well.

dAWx7MZ.png

And the cherry on top...

...what is art?...

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He could have done more by doing less.

rPoaEh7.png

I'm glad that at least one person saw what I was doing there. 

54 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I actually like the scene where Schindler leaves. The handshake always gets to me. It's a great moment for those characters and musically as well. 

It's probably the moment where you woke up. 

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The whole film is brilliant. It's not a favourite of mine, not by a long stretch. But it's objectively a great achievement.

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's not a favourite of mine, not by a long stretch.

For me, its not really something I can watch and enjoy. Because of what this film means in Israel, one can never experience it as a movie.

Watched it once in my youth, and again in the recent Holocaust Memorial day, and its honestly enough for me.

Even his death is humorous and historically inaccurate. Such a weird memorable character.

SL is the perfect cocktail of the more modern dark and disturbing dramatic Spielberg and old-school popcorn flick God Spielberg. After that, most of his dramas were boring and rather soulless.

The pianist.

It was certainly moving, but I’ve seen better war movies. I’m not sure what made this one rather mediocre for me: the fact that it was a bit too long or the fact that none of the actors were particularly memorable, which made it difficult to get emotionally invested in the characters. I still don’t like people who speak English with German accents and unsurprisingly don’t need to hear German for at least another six months. Why did it take the world five years to stop these sick, twisted bastards?

Most of the music is nice, but the score was a huge missed opportunity and inexplicably contains a lot of clarinet solos, one of which foolishly uses the opening notes of the Schindler’s List main theme, an infinitely superior score.

I like the bit where he gets tinnitus from the tank firing at the building he was in. Unfortunately it wasn't very realistic or relatable because it disappears after a few seconds. He would have had it for the rest of his life after that, and probably would have found the sound of a piano too painful for his tonic tensor tympani muscles in his inner ear to tolerate. His life was ruined.

And now for something completely different....

While You Were Sleeping (1995)

Nice one, this.  Some of the humor is kind of off, and some might object to using such an unusual premise for what is a pretty standard story, but the charm of the holiday, pre 9-11 setting and Bullock's perfect performance makes it a great watch.

3/4  

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The pianist.

It was certainly moving, but I’ve seen better war movies. I’m not sure what made this one rather mediocre for me: the fact that it was a bit too long or the fact that none of the actors were particularly memorable, which made it difficult to get emotionally invested in the characters. I still don’t like people who speak English with German accents and unsurprisingly don’t need to hear German for at least another six months. Why did it take the world five years to stop these sick, twisted bastards?

Most of the music is nice, but the score was a huge missed opportunity and inexplicably contains a lot of clarinet solos, one of which foolishly uses the opening notes of the Schindler’s List main theme, an infinitely superior score.

I disagree. Underrated film and one of the best war films. 

The Conversation 

Can't say I enjoyed it as much as I hoped to, but at the end of the day everyone loves a little espionage and mystery. Hackman is superb. 4 / 5

Blade Runner followed by...

Blade Runner 2049 

After some consideration, I've concluded that 2049 is certainly a worthy sequel to the original by a number of merits. Firstly, of all the directors who might've handled this, Villeneuve was certainly the best choice. I thought that the first two hours were really spectacularly done, but somewhere after that point it lost a bit of it's tone- can't quite put my finger on it, but the unraveling of the plot towards the end wasn't exactly to my liking (what was Deckard's role towards the end?). Roger Deakins is, no surprise, an absolute god. In short, if I were to post my favourite shots from the film there would be hundreds of gorgeous frames to choose from. An unparalleled sense of lighting, depth, and staging that is certainly complimentary of its predecessor. Unfortunately, the Zimmer/Wallfisch score, while effective, is incapable of emulating Vangelis' supreme sense of emotion through unconventional sounds without actually quoting him. Good score, but I still wimper over the thought of missed opportunity for Jóhannsson. 5 / 5

4 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The Conversation 

Can't say I enjoyed it as much as I hoped to, but at the end of the day everyone loves a little espionage and mystery. 

It was odd to see you use the words "espionage and mystery". Technically, I suppose that you are right, but to me The Conversation has always been more of a character study or a drama. My favorite Coppola film!

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The pianist.

... or the fact that none of the actors were particularly memorable, which made it difficult to get emotionally invested in the characters.

I agree. This hits the nail on the head. 

4 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Blade Runner 2049 

5 / 5

I only can give it a 2,5 / 5. The music leaves me cold and so does the movie.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I disagree. Underrated film and one of the best war films. 

To each his own, but another thing I forgot to add: why does everyone have a piano in this movie? Is that reaalistic?

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

To each his own, but another thing I forgot to add: why does everyone have a piano in this movie? Is that reaalistic?

It was very common for a family to have a piano back then, if they could afford one.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

The music leaves me cold and so does the movie.

Put on a blanket.

48 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Much like the original its misunderstood and will be reappraised over time.

Believe it or not, but everybody claims that about the sci-fi movie they like. "Over 10 years (fill in title) will be considered a masterpiece, just like Blade Runner ... blah, blah, ..." I've read this a thousand times. But in the case of 2049, it will be the other way around. The film is critically acclaimed and liked all over the world. However, it didn't break any new grounds. It's not a milestone. It's not ahead of its time. Loved today, forgotten tomorrow. Much like 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

Braveheart

Finally got around to rewatching this personal favourite. A couple of years ago, this movie renkindled and reinvented my love for cinema. I've never seen a sophomoric effort that was this strong. From the moment Gibson started tracking laterally on young Wallace (keeping the cart carrying the bodies of his father and brother constantly in the shot) I knew I was in the very best of hands.

The movie is quintessentially visual: not only is it a big screen movie if ever there was one (while remaining just as captivating on any size of screen), it has sections of ten to fifteen minutes at a time where nary a line of dialogue is uttered. The confidence it took to make a film like this, certainly in this genre and in these (beautiful) locations, cannot be understated.

I think in praising the work of Gibson the director, the performance of Gibson the actor can go overlooked. And while I suppose the accent is sometimes dodgy, what I like about it is that the kind of undying, boundless conviction and passion that Gibson the actor infused Wallace with are the same conviction and passion with which he directed this film or even just got it off of the ground; the same fearless leadership he gives Wallace is the one with which he helmed his own army of a production crew. He brings so much personality into this otherwise one-dimensional role.

Other standouts include Sophie Marceau: she's often shot in prolonged closeups, without speaking, and yet her feelings - be they terror at Longshanks, her admiration of Wallace or what have you - is always palpable. Her becoming of a shrewd queen in her last scene is as soul-crushing as it is vindicating. Really, the entire end of the film is a mixture of grief and elation that is an intoxicating as the best wines, and like wine it only gets better with age.

The film, edited by Steve Rosenblum, is an example of prolonged build-up that will have made Sergio Leone proud. Not only does the first action sequence happen fourty minutes into the movie, but it takes three-and-a-half minutes between its beginning and the first blow actually landing. The Battle of Stirling isn't the best cinematic swordplay battle because the armies are real, but because there are two minutes of tension between the calling of the archers and the arrows landing among the Scottish lines, again with the cavalry before the meet the buisness end of the Scottish pikes, and again before the infantry clash.

Sometimes we recieve release through some wonderful humour. The character of Stephen could be (or could have been, in a lesser movie) accused of violating the film's tone, but to me he just breaths so much life into it. That gag in the Battle of Falkirk (you know the one) just caught me by surprise to the point I rolled around laughing. Who knew a film this grim could he so hysterical!

James Horner delivers my favourite love theme, and the LSO performs the string-dominant score as best as humanly possible. Along with DP John Toll's magnificent work, they infuse this historic film with an aethereal quality. It really sticks in my mind almost as a Scottish Arthurian movie. Its all here: knights and princesses, mythic love stories, tragedy - it even ends with the (indelible) shot of a sword in the stone. This mythicism just adds so much to the charm of this film.

In keeping with its mythic style, the film has been accused of lacking nuance in the motivations of its villains (outside of the Bruce family), and while that's largely true, I don't consider this an issue. Archetypal stories have been a staple of human storytelling from its very impetus, and for a reason: this story is no different. At the very least, I do appreciate that this film doesn't shy away from showing the gruesome deeds of its heroes: Wallace doesn't just kill in action - he executes; without trail, and the results are bloody. But its possible to disagree with the film's message of jingoism and still sympathize with it.

The sort of film David Lean would have called a "movie opera". An opera of blood, sweat and tears. To have it be not only a Best-Picture Winner but also the evident inspiration to Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones (all terrific in their own right) is just the icing on the cake.

35 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

If you're not breaking new ground, what's the point?

That's just fine, just don't claim it's the new 2001:ASO or the new Blade Runner. Really, people say that about every new big sci-fi movie, but it never is. It really baffles me when they are saying it about Prometheus.

7 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

Much like Godzilla: King of the Monsters will be!

I watched that yesterday. Absolute nonsense and mind-numbing, but the effects (this whole movie has to be CGI) were good.

Only for Fox News watchers!

9 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I watched that yesterday. Absolute nonsense and mind-numbing, but the effects (this whole movie has to be CGI) were good.

Only for Fox News watchers!

I guess you just didn't understand it.

23 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

To have it be not only a Best-Picture Winner but also the evident inspiration to Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones (all terrific in their own right) is just the icing on the cake.

They all hail down from Zulu anyway, particularly Braveheart.

Catching Milat

Australia's most notorious serial killer recently carked it, so Channel 7 thought it'd be fitting to re-air this flick. It's an okay police procedural and rough dramatisation of the larrikin maniac's life. He only lived one suburb away from me! Still, given that it's a two-part miniseries, it's not as ambitiously horrific as a Wolf Creek flick might have been, which were loosely inspired by the Milat backpacker murders.