What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Finally! Someone else who doesn't worship Spaceballs for some reason!

It's got cute ideas and probably a handful of genuinely funny moments, but overall the memories of it are better than the actual film.

Watched a little bit of Whatever Works on Amazon. Larry David stars in a Woody Allen directed old man wank fantasy about a grumpy dinosaur who very realistically has an attractive young homeless girl whom he's never met before suddenly foisted upon him, invading his space till he eventually warms to her yadda yadda yadda. Switched it off after about twenty minutes. I mean, if Allen still insists on making this sort of thing, he can't really be surprised by the dirty looks he gets in the street, right?

RnezF0f.jpg

Gone girl.

So that was Rosamund Pike. I liked David clennon and Tyler Perry more at first, but then the story unfolded and Pike and her character turned out to be great. The husband’s evil side should have been set up more slowly for it to be really convincing, however. I’m not saying I didn’t buy it, I just had to make too much of an effort. The ending seemed bad at first, but now that it’s over, I’m beginning to realise I actually really like it.

Some score cues are interesting.

18 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Gone girl.

So that was Rosamund Pike. I liked David clennon and Tyler Perry more at first, but then the story unfolded and Pike and her character turned out to be great. The husband’s evil side should have been set up more slowly for it to be really convincing, however. I’m not saying I didn’t buy it, I just had to make too much of an effort. The ending seemed bad at first, but now that it’s over, I’m beginning to realise I actually really like it.

Some score cues are interesting.

GONE GIRL is not about what's happening on screen, it's our reactions, to it. It's not about the characters, it's about the viewer.

19 hours ago, Quintus said:

Watched a little bit of Whatever Works on Amazon. Larry David stars in a Woody Allen directed old man wank fantasy about a grumpy dinosaur who very realistically has an attractive young homeless girl whom he's never met before suddenly foisted upon him, invading his space till he eventually warms to her yadda yadda yadda. Switched it off after about twenty minutes. I mean, if Allen still insists on making this sort of thing, he can't really be surprised by the dirty looks he gets in the street, right?

RnezF0f.jpg

This basically sounds like David doing his Curb persona in a movie. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

This basically sounds like David doing his Curb persona in a movie. 

His character was different in this. As in, I didn't find him funny in the slightest.

The dark knight.

I feel really conflicted about it, so I’ll start with the two things that can’t be disputed: Heath Ledger is simply fantastic and Gary Oldman is brilliant. Other than that… I don’t know. Maybe I’ve watched too many Marvel movies, maybe I’ve just become too critical over the past eight years or maybe this movie just isn’t as spectacular as I once thought it was. I especially found the beginning rather disjointed and one or two sentences explaining motivations would have been really welcome. Then, there’s this growling Batman driving me up the walls and the conversations about what a hero is, might be, shouldn’t be, but could be. It’s all food for thought, but it somehow just didn’t work for me. Rachel’s death still made me sad, but only very briefly.

If the movie failed to capture my attention, the score certainly didn’t help either. D minor, D minor, A minor, tracked Batman Begins material and some interesting James Newton Howard moments. The Joker’s identity would have been so much more interesting if this hadn’t been Zimmer’s 56th score in D minor. And then two scenes that could have been really emotional get truly horrible music: Dent mourning Rachel in hospital and the prisoner disposing of the detonator. In conclusion, my mother’s exasperated sighs said it all.