What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Little Shop of Horrors

This was alright in that musical sort of way. Anyone else notice it's lit just like the Thriller video and a bunch of John Landis movies from that era? I looked it up and it was the same photography bloke. Neat, huh? Whatever happened to that cutie with the high voice?

Serendipity

This is a really weird movie. Aside from everything happening is about as likely as a winning lotto ticket, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with its message. I'd forgotten how babyfaced Kate B was. Silvestri was wasted.

Ronin - a team of mercenaries are assembled in Paris to retrieve a case which contains something of interest to both the IRA and the Russian mob. An action-thriller lifted several notches by its stellar cast (De Niro, Jean Reno, Sean Bean, Stellan Skarsgard) and superb car chases.     

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Ronin - a team of mercenaries are assembled in Paris to retrieve a case which contains something of interest to both the IRA and the Russian mob. An action-thriller lifted several notches by its stellar cast (De Niro, Jean Reno, Sean Bean, Stellan Skarsgard) and superb car chases.     

RONIN is a superb film and one of the best of the 90s.

@Sweeping Strings, don't forget Jonathan Pryce, Natascha McElhone, and Michel Londsdale.

It's such a multilayered film, covering loyalty, obedience, obligation, and loneliness. It fairly zings along, thanks to a smart script, assured direction, good performances all round, sweet cinematography, and crisp editing, courtesy of Tony Gibbs.

It's been described as "An existentialist car chase movie, with the occasional fag break", and, for the best part, I wouldn't disagree.

If you haven't seen it, do so!

One question: what colour is the boathouse, at Hereford?

I actually did, but I always thought the movie was boring outside of the chases. 

Of course, I was young and silly, and probably was expecting a movie with more action and less talking, maybe rewatching it now as an adult I can appreciate it more.

I was a very idiotic teen, actually, when I was like 15 or so, I watched Face/Off and thought it was a serious masterpiece of the action cinema! lol

Destination Wedding

This was fucking hilarious! Maybe a bit overwritten and felt more like the writer's own rant instead of really being about two people dying to be somewhere else. Keanu and Winona in top form.

Some pensive rewatches:

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Schindler's List (1993)

And then these:

The Mule (2018)

About on the same level as Sully in that it could have been a better movie, but feels kind of flat at times. Nothing against either film, both of which I enjoyed just fine. Clint Eastwood is surprisingly low-key funny as an unsuspecting drug mule for a dangerous Mexican cartel. Not without its problems (some outdated racism and misogyny) but I'd put it behind American Sniper as far as Eastwood goes this decade. 4 / 5

Cold Pursuit (2019)

Neeson goes psychotic as he kills, and kills, and, get this, KILLS to avenge his murdered son. Laura Dern was wasted. Pass! 2 / 5

Also:

Mrs. Doubtfire

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

The Making of West Side Story 

Bernstein was a delight to watch conduct his own work! Great archival compilation of the recording sessions of the DG album from the 80s. Can't believe he dropped a f-bomb after a poor take. One Hand, One Heart was like a rediscovery for me. Gorgeous!

3 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Which was all rather self-aware and done ironically. Or is even that "problematic" now?

Oh no, I know that. In fact, I had no difficulty with that, but other reviews I have read found it objectionable, which is pretty ridiculous. 

A lot of reviewers lack the insight to recognise Eastwood's self-deprecation and portrayal of generational and cultural divides. Simply acknowledging it in a matter-of-fact sort of way doesn't make it racist or misogynistic, but dopey Millennials and GenZs hit the outrage trigger button anyway, because clicks or something.

7 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

A lot of reviewers lack the insight to read into Eastwood's self-deprecation and portrayal of generational and cultural divides. Simply acknowledging it in a matter-of-fact sort of way doesn't make it racist or misogynistic, but dopey Millennials and GenZs hit the outrage trigger button anyway, because clicks or something.

I wonder what they'd make of Gran Torino, in which a crabbily racist old coot literally changes his ways and after a nothing-left to-lose medical diagnosis sacrifices himself on behalf of his immigrant neighbours.

Probably that its 'white saviour' trope is offensive,  and the titular petrol car is bad for the environment maaaaaaaaan.  

Bugsy Malone

I don't get this movie. In some scenes, the cream pie projectiles were lethal and in others, they weren't. I remember my mum warning me off this movie when I was a kid because of how awful it was -- evidently she was right.

I haven't seen Bugsy Malone since I was a youngster but I remember being disappointed that they didn't shoot with guns but threw with pies instead. But I also vaguely seem to remember that, despite the pie throwing, the movie turned out to be better than I expected. 

Doing some catching up.....

Tucker: A Man and His Dream (1988) - 6/10

Weak but the cinematography and overrall direction make up for the thin as ice script. Would have been interesting to hear what Williams could have done with this, though the score as it's in the movie is 99% imitations of many styles of jazz.

Shallow Grave (1994) - 7/10

It's... okay, I guess. I liked a lot how it started, the set-up, how macabre it wanted to be. But in the end, it didn't deliver. I get that the characters are assholes, but I don't think it ends up working in favour of the movie. 

Joker (2019) - 7/10

Phoenix elevates this very meh idea of a movie. Also, wasn't too fond of the Scorsese Frankenstein they were going for.

Seven Samurai (1954) - 8/10

Not my favorite Kurosawa, but still very interesting. Quality stuff. 

Wakolda (2013) - 7/10

Beautiful cinematography and direction and some great performances but it ends up amounting to a big pile of... nothing.

Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) - 7/10

I saw this was scored by Peter Gabriel and I thought I had to see it. The movie itself is okay, starts with a lot of promise but doesn't do much with it. The main girl is fantastic, though. Sadly, the score doesn't get much to do. Ambient/textural stuff, mostly, except for the Sky Blue song -which I don't find among Gabriel's best accomplishments, but it's okay. There's a fantastic remix that recently got released on an official Gabriel collection that I think would have been absolutely killer for the movie.

Bird (1988) - 9/10

Now this was excellent. Might be, for me, the finest movie directed by Eastwood. At least from a directing level. I loved the noir style the movie was going for. Don't know much about Bird's life but I love his music. As far as biopics go, this is among the best for me.

Unbreakable (2000) - 5/10

I thought this was supposed to be good?! It's garbage.

-----

Later I'll do a catch up on TV shows.

Anyone else hate those people who never give anything below a 9? Their ratings consist of 9.1 for truly terrible films, 9.5 for mediocre or unremarkable films or 9.8 or 9.9 for really good films? You see it a lot in video game reviews too.

7 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Not my favorite Kurosawa

Which is?

41 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

Anyone else hate those people who never give anything below a 9? Their ratings consist of 9.1 for truly terrible films, 9.5 for mediocre or unremarkable films or 9.8 or 9.9 for really good films? You see it a lot in video game reviews too.

You read video game reviews?

the_witch_poster.jpg

- All the characters look like they have stepped right out of a painting, which gives the film an authentic look & feel (also partly due to the true-to-the-period dialogue).

- Yes, not every scene contains something spectacular, but that does not make the film particularly dull or slow. The dialogue is to the point and very focused.

- The unique raw atmosphere that makes you happy to live in the 21st century. It is almost a survival movie.

- It's not a nail-biting horror, you don't get really attached to the characters, you won't experience big emotions, but thanks to the aforementioned other characteristics, it's not a lifeless flatliner either. Even more, The VVitch will be haunting in your head longer than the average 'one of a dozen' Hollywood horror flick.

- Anya Taylor-Joy  makes a bigger impression here than in the films of Shyamalan. 

MV5BYTU2NzA3NjYtZGRhZS00ZmRhLTgyNmQtZGFk