What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Captain America: The First Avenger.

Surprisingly unengaging film, which despite an excellent cast, solid director and excellent production values doesn't feel all that interesting.

Its an important film in that it has Cap's origin story and contain several elements the MCU will continue to draw from.

The Tesseract and Peggy Carter being the two most vital parts.

The main issue is that after Steve is given the serum, there's not a whole lot of plot left. The second half of the film mostly has Cap kicking ass in WWII Europe, untill he finally has to sacrifice himself.

Steve Rogers isn't yet an man out of time here, nor is he dealing with any kind of moral quandary like in later films. I guess the point of this film was to always have him end up in the present day. So everything Cap does in the 1940's battle field is a bit.... inconsequential.

Cap's Howling Commando's for example aren't all that interesting. Tommy Lee Jones is fine, but its the kinda role we have seen in 100 other war films. 

Good points. Chris Evans is just right in the role, as is Haley Atwell as Peggy Carter actually, who would become the most enduring character from this film after its lead. And their arc together thoughout 3 phases of MCU is great.

Alan Silvestri composes the first truly successful MCU score and sets a template for his 3 subsequent scores.

Overall, the film is fine.

**1/2 out of ****

I remember one of the movies saying he was over 1000 years old and...

Wait, you're talking about the character or the movie? Because if it is the latter, then that's from May 2011.

Now, if you're talking about our JWFan colleague, then I can't help you guys :(

19 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Can’t imagine what he’d call 1-4!

5/10 is garbage

4/10 is cinematic rape

3/10 is a Hans Zimmer

2/10 is some swear word that a man on fire would shout

1/10 is a combination of Holocaust and Tschernobyl

46 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

5/10 is garbage

4/10 is cinematic rape

3/10 is a Hans Zimmer

2/10 is some swear word that a man on fire would shout

1/10 is a combination of Holocaust and Tschernobyl

Where's Balfe on the scale?

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s The Witch!frustrated denzel washington GIF

Tintin!

Edit: LOL wtf I keep trying to write Tin - Tin with a space between and the board changes it back to Tintin. Is anyone else having this problem? Did Jay do something?

vsolo-a-star-wars-story-13642984873780260

Gee, that was awful. A by-committee script that somehow checkboxes all the recent and not so recent hot-button topics (black slavery, poverty, women's lib) to embarrassing effect by placing a young Han Solo in an Oliver-Twist like setting, which he has to escape to enter a dreaded 'origin' story that - again - checkboxes later Star Wars lore and tries to fit all this comfortably in two hour rollercoaster action ride. It's really depressing and a great showcase how NOT to approach a movie. The best thing about it, Powell's score is - by necessity - often too loud and garish - though he has a few very successful quieter, more reflective moments and golden 'movie' moments like the Falcon reveal where he really shines - but it's next to JW the only recent blockbuster example how a musical narrative can actually help to sell a product as empty as this, though sadly it is buried by sound effects most of the time. 

Maybe if it weren't third-hand references by rich Hollywood guys - engineered to not annoy anyone by being as broadly applied as possible and to fit in comfortably with mindless spectacle sequences. Maybe i'm just too rusty in regards to recent blockbusters - i have seen no Marvel movie since 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and also not the one million of sequels and prequels, save for Di$neys dreadful 'Beauty and the Beast' and the tolerable 'Jungle Book'.

35 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I'll probably never see Solo.

Ron Howard is such a boring director.

I agree, Lee; he's very much "white bread", but COCOON is still a lovely film.

How much or the film did he direct? It's Star Wars' SUPERMAN II.

PARENTHOOD I liked. The speech by the grandma about how life is either a rollercoaster, or a carousel, was effective.

'Fraid to say that I felt that APOLLO 13 was stylized, signposted, and ostentatious, beyond my ability to enjoy it. It wanted you to like it, but it tried too hard.

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

'Fraid to say that I felt that APOLLO 13 was stylized, signposted, and ostentatious, beyond my ability to enjoy it. It wanted you to like it, but it tried too hard.

Lol, typical pretentious twat response.

Splash was the last Howard that had a freshness to it, i don't mind his general whitebread-ishness but from 'Cocoon' onwards he often favoured the kind of engineered Hollywood slickness that can work you over once in a while but mostly it is just that (sometimes he did nastier stuff by accident, as in 'The Grinch'). Though 'Solo's problems have nothing to do with that. 

Watched Sicario last night. Tried to watch it some months ago but got distracted with something else. Oddly, my opinion on the film has changed. It might be actually the only Villeneuve film that actually improves on second viewing (most of them either stay the same or get worse). I appreciate that so much of it is told visually. It's not a very "plotty" film but it feels like you get good understanding of what's happening and the implications. It's pretty difficult thing to achieve, especially in a film set in circumstances as morally ambiguous. I am really impressed by Emily Blunt's acting because most of it happens in her eyes. She's a very passive character, mostly an observer, and it's quite a strange thing she has absolutely no impact on the events. But it does make sense from a thematic perspective.

Oh and I also watched Midsommar twice last week. Once on 4K Blu-ray and once on extended director's cut. The shorter version is better. The 3-hour version, while fine, doesn't really make much of a difference and I would argue some of the additions ruin the nice ambiguous anxious feeling. The relationship between Dani and Christian is so awkward because they don'tvcommunicate properly. So having an extra argument scene in the middle of the film where they actually spell things out a bit redundant. You already get it. It feels a bit like the extended US cut of The Shining. It's OK but unnecessary. Having said that, I liked some of the extra ritual bits in there. One other thing I'd like to add is that the 4K version of this film is drop dead gorgeous. The Blu-ray looked fine but this is on a completely different level.

Karol

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Splash was the last Howard that had a freshness to it, i don't mind his general whitebread-ishness but from 'Cocoon' onwards he often favoured the kind of engineered Hollywood slickness that can work you over once in a while but mostly it is just that (sometimes he did nastier stuff by accident, as in 'The Grinch'). Though 'Solo's problems have nothing to do with that. 

A Ron Howard movie lack character. It's like he always wants to do good by everyone.