What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

We Eurotrashers prefer The Bourne Identity, where Bourne feels more human, identifiable, and where the movie is more about atmosphere than it is about theme park rides. Right, Steef?

Ironically it's the only original Bourne trilogy film directed by an American!

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yup, and Captain Phillips is one of my favorite films of this decade.  

That's a really good one. Tense, terse filmmaking on another level. Tom Hanks performance (especially those final scenes) is phenomenal.

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Greengrass is to much about drawing attention to himself. His films are "worthy" pieces of work, which say "look at me, I've got something to say".

He's the Loach of blockbusters.

Whatever you think of his films, the implication that Ken Loach makes them with the aim of "drawing attention to himself" doesn't seem right.

9 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

That's a really good one. Tense, terse filmmaking on another level. Tom Hanks performance (especially those final scenes) are phenomenal.

That's a really good one. Tense, terse filmmaking on another level. Tom Hanks performance (especially those final scenes) are phenomenal.

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

I completely agree!

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

We Eurotrashers prefer The Bourne Identity, where Bourne feels more human, identifiable, and where the movie is more about atmosphere than it is about theme park rides. Right, Steef?

Bourne doesn't smile in the 3 Greengrass directed films.

He does smile in the first one. Interesting bit of trivia, right?

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He does smile in the first one. Interesting bit of trivia, right?

He does, even though he doesn't know who he is, and people want him dead. Perhaps this confused certain viewers because they believe there is only one correct facial expression for a certain situation?

Terminator genisys (what kind of a title is that?)

It took half an hour before I started enjoying it. Emilia Clarke is great and Schwarzenegger is as entertaining as ever, but the movie is too pretentious and it’s actually a pretty pointless story. Well, all of them are, really, the moment James Cameron stopped being involved. Wow, wow, wait a moment, I don’t follow anymore… remembering two pasts, what now? Do I really have to turn this one off too? Yeah, I do.

The score is simplistic and sounds like a 2003 effort by Hans Zimmer, but I guess it’s good enough.

Jai Courtney with his sculped, high protein diet torso is laughable as Kyle Reese, a soldier born in a post apocalyptic landscape.

A few interesting ideas aside this is a completely pointless movie.

Babette's Feast

It's just a beautiful film, leisurely paced and cinematically filling like a good meal. Gabriel Axel keeps the film on point (with a charming performance from the late Stephane Audran), which is narratively simple but the message is profound. The first hour is tough going, but once Babette starts preparing her meal, it transforms into something else entirely. The food preparation scenes alone make the film worth seeing.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Jai Courtney with his sculped, high protein diet torso is laughable as Kyle Reese, a soldier born in a post apocalyptic landscape.

A few interesting ideas aside this is a completely pointless movie.

You gotta look like you're built like a brick shithouse to qualify for Hollywood these days.

I re-watched Suspiria the other night. The 2018 remake to be more exact. I've seen it before but this time it was on 4K Blu-ray (only released in Germany, oddly). I don't know whether it is a good movie but it's certainly an interesting one. Yes, it might be overindulgent and even bit pretentious. But it is clearly made by someone with ideas and vision. The film is a bit, shall we say, meandering but I enjoy the atmosphere and mood. I enjoy being in this world, plot seems to be less important. And I like the music (songs are really good) and dance sequences a lot. The idea of casting a spell through dance is by no means a groundbreaking idea but it's cool to see it executed as nicely as here. Most of all, I like that this isn't really a remake but a completely different take on the same concept. 

Karol

Everest.

At first I was a bit annoyed at the lack of interesting characters to get invested in and therefore started rooting for the women and wives. And why did we waste so much time on Doug? They also made a really big mistake editing Jason Clarke’s lines: at one point he suddenly shouted merrily to Doug when he had been panting and groaning two seconds earlier. I hadn’t recognised Robin Wright nor Emily Watson (God, she’s versatile, as is Keira Knightley!) The ending was worth every minute of it. So moving and I love that it isn’t what I was expecting it to be.

The score is equally interesting and way better than Darkest Hour, the last Marianelli score I had heard. Loved the laments for strings and piano. They should write more film music like this.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It really isn't that bad. 

Only at JWFan, or so it appears: 

Rotten Tomatoes: Terminator Genisys: 27%

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Only at JWFan, or so it appears: 

Rotten Tomatoes: Terminator Genisys: 27%

Well, that's what makes JWfan, better, more accurate, more honest, more informed, more intelligent, more cultured, and far more worth seeking the opinion of, than Rotten fucking Tomatoes!

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

How do you enjoy watching a movie you know is bad?

There's a perverse pleasure in watching a film that one knows is bad. Even when watching it, for the first time, there comes a point where one says: "Ok, I know this film is bad, but I'm going to have fun watching it, anyway".

Of course, "bad" is a simplistic, subjective statement.

What is "bad"? What is "good"?

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It really isn't that bad. Just 100% pointless.

(Y) Every Terminator film after T2, is 100% pointless.

58 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well, that's what makes JWfan, better, more accurate, more honest, more informed, more intelligent, more cultured, and far more worth seeking the opinion of, than Rotten fucking Tomatoes!

I stick to RT, since their score of Genisys represents my feelings towards the movie. JWFan Pro is another great truthful source.  

Us

Fairly effective thriller with a far-fetched premise. I didn't mind it, but overall it's a disappointment compared to Get Out. And speaking of Get Out, after I finished watching Us, I flicked it onto another channel where Seinfeld was playing, it was the episode featuring "The Kramer" painting, and the artist woman was the tea cup lady in Get Out!

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

It wouldn't have surprised me if John Hughes essentially took his script for the first movie, changed some names and locations, and submitted it to Fox within a week of them green lighting the sequel. Essentially a bigger, NY-set copy of the first movie -- same kind of scary-misunderstood-person-with-a-heart-of-gold, Catherine O'Hara regurgitating her protective mom/shrieking harpy schtick, and Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern going through more painful stuntwork.

There's some pleasures to be had in the movie -- Tim Curry as the snotty hotel manager, Brenda Fricker as the Pigeon Lady -- but everything was done better the first go-round. Even Williams' score.

I can't bring myself to hate it though.

4 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Us

Fairly effective thriller with a far-fetched premise. I didn't mind it, but overall it's a disappointment compared to Get Out. 

My problem with Us that it flirts with two genres, horror and comedy. To be fair to Jordan Peele, I don't think I've ever liked a Horror Comedy movie in my life. 

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

My problem with Us that it flirts with two genres, horror and comedy. To be fair to Jordan Peele, I don't think I've ever liked a Horror Comedy movie in my life. 

Despite some of its unexplained plot points, it has a few decent chills.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't think I've ever liked a Horror Comedy movie in my life. 

No love for AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON? FRIGHT NIGHT? THE LOST BOYS? CARRY ON SCREAMING? ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE WOLF MAN? BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN?