What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No love for AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON? FRIGHT NIGHT? THE LOST BOYS? CARRY ON SCREAMING? ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE WOLF MAN? BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN?

No, but come to think of it, I do like The Shining.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

My problem with Us that it flirts with two genres, horror and comedy. To be fair to Jordan Peele, I don't think I've ever liked a Horror Comedy movie in my life. 

Shaun Of The Dead?

15 hours ago, Chen G. said:

There’s really no reason to, anyway.

The slapstick scenes are more painful (rather than funny) when Marv and Harry encounter each booby trap in the apartment. Even Home Alone 3, bad as it is, didn't have this kind of cruelty.

Rise of the planet of the apes.

I was really surprised how engaging it was at first. Had no idea John Lithgow was in it. My God, he’s good, as is Freida Pinto, but could somebody please teach Tom Felton how to speak with an American accent? Never mind: as far as I’m concerned, this is the only movie in the new trilogy that should have been made, or they should at least have kept Caroline and Will in the sequels. Not really a big fan of the drawn-out battle, but it’s probably a visual spectacle. I also love how little Caesar spoke in this movie. That’s when it makes you respect him, not when you have him deliver line after line. Not sure about the rushed happy ending, though.

I used to dislike Doyle’s score in 2011 because I was convinced he should only write scores like Harry Potter 4 back then. I know better now. This is easily the best score of the new trilogy. Giacchino’s music is just annoying and never managed to move me. Doyle doesn’t even have to try. He completely understands what every scene needs and Caesar’s theme is great.

14 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

This is easily the best score of the new trilogy. Giacchino’s music is just annoying and never managed to move me. Doyle doesn’t even have to try. He completely understands what every scene needs and Caesar’s theme is great.

Thank you!

Képernyőfelvétel (154).png

On Body and Soul (2017)

Boy and girl meet at work, they're awkward but connect over a weird thing, relationship foms.

OK, there's more to it. "meets" happens at the abatoire where they work, "boy" is the aging fiscal manager with a lame arm who's been hurt before and by now is afraid to act on attractions, "girl" is the new quality inspector who seems detached and cold and has problems with emotions, connection, even physical touch. (Later the signs start adding up and pointing to her being on the autism spectrum but it's never explicitly addressed.) Both vegetate in their miserable but safe shells until a kinda meh B plot reveals "weird thing" - they share a dream at night of being a male and female deer by a pool in a snowy winter forest. That starts their connection and things proceed.

The actors do a great job (the leads especially, the male one is not even an actor by profession and this is his first and last foray into the field), cinematography and editing are great, the presentation is mostly very matter-of-fact, interactions are awkward in a way that was more relatable than overly cutesy to me. No big sweeping sentimentality, maybe the most classic Hollywoodsy love story moment was the meet-cute: him looking out the office window during a meeting and seeing her standing apart from other people, wind blowing her hair and skirt.

And the final "twist" beat, but only in plain script form - it wasn't presented as that big of a deal, you just know and feel it is. Favourite part was

Spoiler

when she put much effort into getting more comfortable around people, for his sake, then before they'd go on a date again, he breaks it off and basically friendzones her out of insecurity. She goes home that night, continutes the known evening routine, takes the drying clothes in, eats dinner, cleans the table, fills the bath, breaks the glass door, gets in the bath, starts the music and slits her wrist with a piece of glass - again, presented matter-of-factly almost as a piece of the daily routine. That shook me pretty well.

Also had a good couple of unexpected laughs! And usually from honest and genuine sources, not "look how stupid she made herself look, how embarassing" or forced one liners or something.

I couldn't point out exactly why - but I completely adored this film and got heavily invested. I am || <= this close to watching it again tonight just to catch everything with knowing the full picture this time - I already skipped a little into it and noticed shots like the one below that I missed early on.

Also, fuck you, publishers for not bringing out a bluray at home. Son of Saul had like 5 editions, I have a deluxe digipak one with a limited numbered 35mm frame, booklet, extras on both bluray and DVD - I guess this one was only nominated for an Oscar and got as far as the 5-long shortlist and only won a Golden Bear, it only deserves a probably shittily downconverted barebones DVD, right?

Képernyőfelvétel (153).png

Doctor Sleep

Pretty good. Some imaginative parts. But did anyone else get 2010 vibes from this movie? Like a sequel to a Stanley Kubrick movie not directed by Stanley Kubrick that seems to over-explain everything and betrays the simplicity of the original? That's the feel I got here. Rebecca Ferguson steals it.

2 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

But did anyone else get 2010 vibes from this movie? Like a sequel to a Stanley Kubrick movie not directed by Stanley Kubrick that seems to over-explain everything and betrays the simplicity of the original? That's the feel I got here.

Modern audiences don't like when things are kept vague or ambiguous. They see 'explaining' as good storytelling.

4 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

...did anyone else get 2010 vibes from this movie? ...a sequel to a Stanley Kubrick movie not directed by Stanley Kubrick that seems to over-explain everything and betrays the simplicity of the original?

Maybe, but 2010, is a good film, in its own right.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

... but pales in comparison. And comparing in inevitable. 

Of course it is, but, like one critic said: "once you get past the fact that it's not, and never will be 2001, it's very enjoyable".

43 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There Is No Comparison!

Screen-Shot-2019-08-13-at-11.03.22-AM.png

Fuck, yeah! :thumbup:

Octopussy

Octopussy-027.jpg

Another classic Moore 007 flick. I feel like this one really inspired the Indiana Jones sequels with its Indian palace serving sheep's head, encounters with all manner of jungle wildlife and circus train. No Bond except Roger Moore's could have told a tiger to sit, a snake to piss off and swung on vines making the Tarzan sound. He gets in some headshots in this one, encounters all the babes you would expect on an island populated exclusively by women ("Sexual discrimination") and zooms Q's cameras in on some epic exotic cleavage before going undercover as a clown and preventing a massacre under the big top. Nobody did it better.

A middle of the road Moore Bond effort. Though beautifully shot.

Released in between FYEO and AVTAK, and...kinda fits there quality wise. The plot is overly complicated, and the film really kinda plods along in places.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Interesting blend of a more traditional romcom with these sex comedies that were big hits on the late 90s/2000s, but couldn't possibly be made today. The four main actors (Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, Russel Brand and Mila Kunis) are pretty funny.

But still... why, on the very early minutes of the movie, do we have to see Jason Segel's cock several times? It's very off-putting and shocking that the movie already begins with a penis hanging, makes you think that it'll only go downhill after that (fortunately, it doesn't).

Thanks to the dong, I guess I'll never watch 2011's The Muppets the same way.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

A middle of the road Moore Bond effort.

It feels like two or three movies smashed together, one of which might have been very good.

'Can you handle this contraption, Q?' 

'It goes by hot air' 

'Oh, then you can'. 

Octopussy is solid middle-tier Bond. The machine-gunning bannister slide during which 007 realises his 'gentleman parts' are under threat is a fine 'Moore moment', made all the better by it visibly being him and not a stuntman.     

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Interesting blend of a more traditional romcom with these sex comedies that were big hits on the late 90s/2000s, but couldn't possibly be made today. The four main actors (Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, Russel Brand and Mila Kunis) are pretty funny.

But still... why, on the very early minutes of the movie, do we have to see Jason Segel's cock several times? It's very off-putting and shocking that the movie already begins with a penis hanging, makes you think that it'll only go downhill after that (fortunately, it doesn't).

Thanks to the dong, I guess I'll never watch 2011's The Muppets the same way.

Pretty sure there’s a penis in every Judd Apatow film. 

Yeah it's so weird that we see so many doodles in movies these days, but we don't see ladies' fannies? Plus don't these people get embarrassed? I mean once everyone's seen your stranger-danger bits, that's it! Your life is over. People will be laughing at you forever!

He was the writer, yeah. But, according to the EW link I posted, the nude scene was taken from his own personal experiences. So yeah, maybe showing his wang on screen to the entire world was actually therapeutic to him!

On 12/10/2019 at 5:31 AM, bollemanneke said:

You're welcome, I never understood why even mainstream people praised Giacchino's scores so much.

Oh my!

💗

52 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Trekkies attacking a Fake Star Trek composer? 

Fixed. Giacchino defines mediocrity. 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Alex doesn't understand. He doesn't know anything about film music. Or care about it.

I only care when the music makes me care.