What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Iron man.

Robert Downey Jr. annoyed me in the opening scene, but that obviously didn’t last long. He really had some great moments. I had nearly forgotten the Disney concert hall scene. Terrence Howard isn’t as bad as I remembered either and Jeff Bridges is so good. I also love how this movie has multiple villains. Paul Bettany sounded awfully tired at times, but maybe that’s because this is the first time I’m watching the movie without PAL speed-up. And who could get tired of Leslie Bibb?

The score is really not as bad as critics have claimed. It’s actually perfect for the movie and its only problem is that the recording sounds incredibly dull. Well, that and the fact that it’s too dramatic when Obadiah reveals his ultimate plan to Tony. Iron Man’s theme is memorable and spot on and you clearly hear how he deserves it over the course of the movie. Why couldn’t they have kept it in all the other movies?

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Terrence Howard isn’t as bad as I remembered

Terence is probably a better Rhodey that Don Cheadle. I like the way he often looks like he's restraining himself to kick Tony's ass.

The film has aged rather well, but you can see how the MCU changed over the years. 

This is obviously a 2008 film by the way Ten Rings is portrayed as a bunch or Arab scumbags. There's a bit of old-fashioned sexism in it which they probably would cut out today (Tony's Learjet has a stripper pole rising out of the floor).

I like how Tony's suit feels...real in this film? Throughout the film we see him building it and learning to use it. And it looks like a big, hefty piece of high-tech armour that needs other machinery to even put it on.

In the last 2 Avengers films the suit magically appears out of a thing in Tony's chest, courtesy of nano-tech.

Its also much more earnst in its overall approach than the MCU's later entries, and much, much more scaled back.

While it is setting up sequels, its very clearly NOT setting up the tragic arc of Tony's that we ended up getting in Endgame.

Of course it doesn't.

They were probably busting their balls trying to get the first Avengers film of the ground.

Tony sacrifice arc probably started in that film. In the first 2 Iron Man films he's just unhinged.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Even The Avengers doesn't set up Tony's actual sacrifice story. That's really only set-up in Infinity War.

I'd say the threads can be seen starting with Iron Man 3 and then Age of Ultron.  The "sacrifice arc" starts with the "we were caught off guard, nearly failed and we need to be prepared next time" arc.

38 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Even The Avengers doesn't set up Tony's actual sacrifice story. That's really only set-up in Infinity War.

I doubt they really ever planned ahead any further than the "phase" they were in. But there's a lot of clever backwards engineering.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I doubt they really ever planned ahead any further than the "phase" they were in. But there's a lot of clever backwards engineering.

Mixture of both really.  They’d decided that Stark would sacrifice himself by September 2015, the year Ultron came out.  So thy could both pick up the thread of Stark’s fear of another galactic threat and then lay the crumbs for his sacrifice in Civil War and others.

EA9443F7-1159-4104-A26F-0209EE1532AA.jpeg

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Why, because the plotline is original, unexpected and groundbreaking? I hate stories based on cheap lies for comedic effect.

That must narrow the comedy genre down to about ten movies total for you then.

I watched There's Something About Mary years ago, and to be honest, I just remember the hair gel scene, and Ben Stiller being attacked by a small dog.

When I was younger, I used to think that Along Came Polly and The Heartbreak Kid were funnier, but I also haven't watched both of the in years.

Die Hard 2 - 'How can the same shit happen to the same guy twice?!?' says Bruce, all but turning to camera and winking.

Not quite up to the heights of the original, but good fun nonetheless.

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Die Hard 2 - 'How can the same shit happen to the same guy twice?!?' says Bruce, all but turning to camera and winking.

Not quite up to the heights of the original, but good fun nonetheless.

Once Bitten 

Cute and funny. The soundtrack oozes 80s. I think that Khaleesi was channeling Lauren Hutton, who was hot in this.

I hadn't seen this in its entirety since the theater, but I didn't really forget anything. It was more enjoyable than the NBC Sunday Night game, and it made my wife get emotional. That was worth the three hours. 

I miss James. 

On 12/12/2019 at 3:23 PM, bollemanneke said:

Iron man.

Robert Downey Jr. annoyed me in the opening scene, but that obviously didn’t last long. He really had some great moments. I had nearly forgotten the Disney concert hall scene. Terrence Howard isn’t as bad as I remembered either and Jeff Bridges is so good. I also love how this movie has multiple villains. Paul Bettany sounded awfully tired at times, but maybe that’s because this is the first time I’m watching the movie without PAL speed-up. And who could get tired of Leslie Bibb?

The score is really not as bad as critics have claimed. It’s actually perfect for the movie and its only problem is that the recording sounds incredibly dull. Well, that and the fact that it’s too dramatic when Obadiah reveals his ultimate plan to Tony. Iron Man’s theme is memorable and spot on and you clearly hear how he deserves it over the course of the movie. Why couldn’t they have kept it in all the other movies?

People forget that in 2008 Robert Downey Jr. was a risky pick. He was afterall the guy who had a colorful druggie past. He made $500k for Ironman. He made $75M. for ENDGAME. The role of the dice paid off.

15 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

People forget that in 2008 Robert Downey Jr. was a risky pick. He was afterall the guy who had a colorful druggie past. He made $500k for Ironman. He made $75M. for ENDGAME. The role of the dice paid off.

His checkered past is exactly why he was a fit for Tony Stark. He’s basically playing a heightened (and slightly more family friendly, perhaps) version of himself.

Wonderful character, and the true foundation of the MCU.

Get Out

Re-watched it last night with my girlfriend on Crapflix. This time, I could appreciate more details that made the movie better: Peele's intricate script, the great performances of the cast (specially Daniel Kaluuya, wonderful as the lead) and the excellent score by Michael Abels. I really liked his two collaborations with Peele so far on this and Us, and I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Justin Hurwitz situation (talented composer, but only one director hires him).

That said, I still think the violent third act is the weakest part of the movie. And the B suplot involving Chris' friend managed to undercut the tension with some silly comic moments (like an enourmous and unfunny sequence at a police station).