What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Looked like something for the video game/anime crowd. Cameron as a producer doesn't interest me in the least.

I was stunned it featured all these Oscar winning actors.

The Diary of Anne Frank

A well-staged and enveloping cinematic adaptation of the play and Frank's diary. George Stevens ably captures the friction between the family members in hiding in well-framed B&W cinemascope... a lot of Millie Perkins' narration is taken verbatim from the diary, which gives aching humanity to the proceedings. The acting is uniformly excellent, particularly Joseph Schildkraut as Otto Frank and Millie Perkins as the titular heroine.

A somber but beautiful movie.

28 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

BLADE RUNNER 2049

This was my third viewing. I can't decide whether it's profound, or a load of tosh.

Answers on.

I reckon it's just an engrossing flick, neither terribly profound nor empty. 

I enjoyed it most as an “experience” movie; the score, the atmosphere, the performances... just great!

I kinda found the film’s philosophical musings a bit surface level. 

It's interesting enough, it flows better than the original (for me) - and it's simply one of the best looking films ever made. Deakins's Oscar was long overdue, but if I had to pick one of his films to award it to, it would very likely be BR 2049.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

BLADE RUNNER 2049

This was my third viewing. I can't decide whether it's profound, or a load of tosh.

Answers on.

Cold, sterile and mediocre writing. Villeneuve might even be more overrated than Nolan.

Every time I watch a Nolan film, I want to stand up, in the cinema, and shout "...but he's naked!".

BLADE RUNNER 2049 has some good ideas, and good performances, but the whole is, distinctly, less than the sum of the parts. I think that it's going to be a film that I admire, rather than like.

The Black Hole (1979)

I saw a few films between 6-11 years of age that I likely shouldn't have, like Blue Thunder maybe but though this is a Disney film, there was something about Black Hole that was and remains...beyond dark. It's a film that as you work your way through, you wonder what the Hell and why you're bothering.

Anyway. When Robert Forster died a few months back, sure I had seen Jackie Brown but I felt embarrassed that I knew him more for this film and how...as is typical of what I saw as a child, be it the original Galactica, Buck Rogers, whatever, I wanted to be the hero type and Forster's Capt Holland was one such guy, especially when he rescues Yvette Mimieux from being lobotomised by the robots. What made it work was the John Barry score, until now moody, dark and horror-like, bursting heroically into life (the track is "Laser"). Holland leaps into action blazing away with his laser guns and saves her. 

But what made this film terrifying to a young me, was the Hell sequence at the end after the ship enters the black hole. Where Max Schell's crazed if creepy scientist becomes immersed with his robot-killer Maximilian ("You obey me!"...wait that line is from Moonraker?!) and you see this fiery landscape...God, it gave me nightmares. 

A note on the Barry score, it's one of his best. Yet listening to it this week, there are certain notes that sound out of Moonraker and one or two tracks fore-shadow his Raise the Titanic score. Either way, it's fantastic as a score.

The film is a bit of fun somehow. Neil DeGrasse Tyson said in 2013 or something the physics and science is the worst in any sci-fi movie, so be it. I like a crew that is heroic, especially when they flee across a gantry as a huge meteorite is coming at them.

The Goodbye Girl

I frickin' love this movie. Just a feel-good bit of 70s bliss. I especially enjoy the stuff about Dreyfuss' struggling with his idiot theatre director over the flamboyant portrayal of Richard III – his playing drunk afterward and reading the newspaper reviews had me in stitches! I place this in the same category as Tootsie, The World According to Garp and Mr Mom, I just love this era of dramady.

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

,BLADE RUNNER 2049 has some good ideas, and good performances, but the whole is, distinctly, less than the sum of the parts. I think that it's going to be a film that I admire, rather than like.

Like 'Blade Runner', then.

14 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

The Goodbye Girl

I frickin' love this movie. Just a feel-good bit of 70s bliss. I especially enjoy the stuff about Dreyfuss' struggling with his idiot theatre director over the flamboyant portrayal of Richard III – his playing drunk afterward and reading the newspaper reviews had me in stitches! I place this in the same category as Tootsie, The World According to Garp and Mr Mom, I just love this era of dramady.

Try 'The Owl and the Pussycat' and - especially - 'Where's Poppa'.

14 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Cold, sterile and mediocre writing. Villeneuve might even be more overrated than Nolan.

His films are very nicely made but I can't say most of them hold up on second viewing. The only one I did like more the second time was Sicario. With Nolan, I often find my first viewing to be the least enjoyable. That was the case with every single film since Batman Begins.

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

His films are very nicely made but I can't say most of them hold up on second viewing.

I haven't rewatched any of his movies, but I believe you. 

57 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Yeah, but they should debase him for his self-congratulation after just one good movie.

...which is Midsommar (I wasn't a fan of Hereditary, it made me mostly bored).

Brightburn

I've been a slasher fan since childhood, but few had kill scenes that provoked me to look away from the screen like this one did. It really does have some brutally explicit scenes of gore and cruelty that almost make you gag. Don't get me wrong, I kinda dug it, but I was unprepared for how in-ya-face it was going to be. As for the premise, a pubescent Superman as a homicidal maniac is intriguing, like a quasi-Bizarro version, only not. Probably doesn't go all the way it could, but it's just a horror picture I suppose.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

...which is Midsommar (I wasn't a fan of Hereditary, it made me mostly bored).

I see Hereditary as the good, but not very meaningful movie and Midsommar as the self-congratulation. Tarantino needed 8 movies until he started repeating himself, Lynch needed 9 movies and Nolan isn't there yet with 10 movies. Aster, on the other hand, has just done his second movie which already amounts to nothing more than empty complacencies.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

Aster, on the other hand, has just done his second movie which already amounts to nothing more than empty complacencies.

Sounds like we both saw very different films.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

and Nolan isn't there yet with 10 movies. 

Lol. Nolan got there post-Inception.

Where the Heart Is

It feels like a Hallmark movie of the week, albeit with ridiculously overqualified actors. Even though it takes place in Oklahoma, Natalie Portman's accent is straight Texan. She does the best she can with the flimsy material, as does Stockard Channing and Ashley Judd. Corny beyond belief, especially the poor script.

81ReHuVnJUL._SL1500_.jpg

More colorful than Bohemian Rhapsody but also slightly more superficial. The parallels with Freddy Mercury (the problem with being gay and stardom) are hard to ignore but for some reason felt less genuine here.  And with song & dance acts, it's also closer to the Musical genre. 6/10

back-cover.jpg

I need to buy more Joseph Losey & Harold Pinter movies. 7/10

MV5BZTg0ZWZlOGEtNTIxYi00YWE0LWFjMTgtNTVm

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Alexcremers

Alex, ACCIDENT is brilliant.

For Losey/Pinter, try THE SERVANT.

For Pinter, try THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN.

I have The Servant, but not The Go-Between.

THE GO-BETWEEN is not bad; THE SERVANT is a classic, featuring Dirk Bogarde, and James Fox in career-defining performances (see what I did, there? :)).

WWTLFIW (OF)?

SE7EN

That's more like it!

Dark, depressing, dank, dirty, disturbing, and utterly mesmerizing.

Freeman shines as the central "human" core of the film, ably supported by R. Lee Ermy, Leland Orser, and a deliciously cold Kevin Spacey.

Almost twenty five years later, it still packs a wallop.

Sloth is one of the most terrifying scenes ever put to film.

I think the ending is a bit too depressing, though. Somerset being “around” isn’t quite enough by way of a sweetener.

On 1/17/2020 at 10:10 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I saw, THE BLACK HOLE on its opening weekend, in London, in December, 1979. I liked it, then, and I like it, now.

Nice, must have looked quite something on the big screen. Thinking mostly of that shot of the crew running as the meteorite bears down on them. Never mind the Hell sequence. And imagine the score on a proper screen like the BFI's IMAX in London.