What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Lady Macbeth.

Christopher Fairbank and Paul Hilton are great, but I felt oddly detached throughout the whole thing and they didn’t even make an effort to make me care about most of it. There’s too much sex in it and it’s ridiculous that Katherine falls for Sebastian (terrible actor). The ending is absurd.

There was hardly any score in the movie. When it was there, it only worked occasionally, but it sounded like the same cue every time. And the Foley guys really overdid it.

1 hour ago, Sir Hilary Bray said:

Nice, must have looked quite something on the big screen. Thinking mostly of that shot of the crew running as the meteorite bears down on them. Never mind the Hell sequence. And imagine the score on a proper screen like the BFI's IMAX in London. 

In 1979, the Odeon Leicester Square had the biggest screen, in the UK. Yes, the meteor sequence was good, but I remember the Cygnus lighting up, with special fondness.

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In 1979, the Odeon Leicester Square had the biggest screen, in the UK. 

Not sure if we're talking about the same theatre but this one had a great screen supported by a fantastic projector.

b028e24c-2919-4626-9303-cf5b506c1470-766x1020.jpeg

Too bad the movie wasn't so good.

Midsommar

Director’s Cut

Not sure why, but both this and Aster’s Hereditary got hyped up as these really disturbing, nearly unwatchable horror films. Maybe I’m just jaded but nothing of the sort really happens here that I found particularly shocking. With that being said, it is an otherwise fantastic thriller.

At nearly three hours long, I found it well paced and properly unsettling in its first half. Aster builds great tension with his camerawork and framing, and the production and costume design is where the film really shines. Both technically impressive and in how the environment tells the story. He shows and doesn’t tell, which I appreciated and made the film feel cinematic.

In the end, I found it to be not that dissimilar to The Wicker Man, sans unintentional humor. It’s extremely predictable but that’s due to the great production design. Worth a watch, but opt for the theatrical if you are strapped for time. 

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

In the end, I found it to be not that dissimilar to The Wicker Man, sans unintentional humor. It’s extremely predictable but that’s due to the great production design. Worth a watch, but opt for the theatrical if you are strapped for time. 

When I watched it, the audience laughed their ass off and couldn't take it seriously, where it was definitely intended to be serious. But without any sym- or empathy for the leading characters you don't have a chance to feel pity or be involved in anything.

2006's The Wicker Man is actually one of the best comedies of all time. It has Nic Cage dressed on a bear suit punching women, terrorizing small children and being tortured with bees in his eyes. It's almost a parody of the suspense/mystery genre with its unbelievably idiotic scenes.

KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GODDAM HONEY!

Ha! I've been on a little Wes Anderson run myself and I believe I've finally warmed up to his style after taking in Moonrise Kingdom and rewatching both The Grand Budapest Hotel and Isle of Dogs. Consistently five star output and tremendously pleasant to watch. 

I particularly enjoyed Willem Dafoe and Jeff Goldblum in this latest viewing of TGBH. I never knew I needed it, but seeing Dafoe a) throw a cat out of a window, b) ride a motorcycle, c) cut off Goldblum's fingers with a door, d) swing incense whilst wearing monastic robes, and e) get thrown violently off of a cliff was very fulfilling.

Aside from the above Andersons, I've caught a good deal of movies in 2020 so far:

Out of Africa (1985)

Dry and overlong, yet it masquerades with the talents of Meryl Streep and Robert Redford, who are hardly at their best in this tiring romance. Barry's underscore is all you need really. 2 / 5

Operation Finale (2018)

Yet another frustratingly rudimentary film, featuring the serious miscast of Ben Kingsley in the role of Nazi death camp mastermind Adolf Eichmann. 2 / 5

A few more lackluster showings:

Fahrenheit 451 (2018) 

I, Tonya (2017)

The Front Runner (2018)

Sunshine (2017)

Followed by material of a far more mentionable degree:

They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)

Peter Jackson's incredible technical feat of restoring WWI footage and audio is an essential experience for all. 5 / 5

Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood! (2019)

Trips over its excess of nostalgia on multiple occasions and lacks the connective narrative tissue that would make a 2h 30m film worthwhile, but amazingly still proves a worthy addition to Tarantino's filmography. 3 / 5

Phantom Thread (2017)

Second time now. A deftly woven masterpiece perfectly orchestrated in every aspect; acting, cinematography, script, and music. Pretty much perfect in every way. 5 / 5

11 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Out of Africa (1985)

Dry and overlong, yet it masquerades with the talents of Meryl Streep and Robert Redford, who are hardly at their best in this tiring romance. Barry's underscore is all you need really. 5 / 5

Fixed! :)

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Phantom Thread (2017)

Second time now. A deftly woven masterpiece perfectly orchestrated in every aspect; acting, cinematography, script, and music. Pretty much perfect in every way. 5 / 5

That is pretty accurate.

4 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Out of Africa (1985)

Dry and overlong, yet it masquerades with the talents of Meryl Streep and Robert Redford, who are hardly at their best in this tiring romance. Barry's underscore is all you need really. 2 / 5

Like it for Barry's score, luscious cinematography by David Watkin, intelligent and naturalistic sound design, and solid support from Klaus Maria Brandauer, and Michael Kitchen.

They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)

Peter Jackson's incredible technical feat of restoring WWI footage and audio is an essential experience for all. 5 / 5

It's too bad that he didn't put as much effort into THE HOBBIT.

Phantom Thread (2017)

Second time now. A deftly woven masterpiece perfectly orchestrated in every aspect; acting, cinematography, script, and music. Pretty much perfect in every way.

5 / 5

Yep. If this is to be Day Lewis' last role, he couldn't have signed-off on a better film.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Yes, in our *right* opinion vs. your shitty one!

Sorry you feel that way, but I'm honestly glad the pair of you were able to enjoy a film that I had difficulty liking! 

As for @John, I'm so very pleased that Pub's post conjured a laugh from you. I hope it brightened your day. I wonder if you would care to comment on the film perchance? 

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Wait what?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I haven’t watched this one yet because I’m afraid of how terrible of an adaption it will be, like The Giver. I wish Darabont got to make his version before Bradbury passed away. 

52 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

As for @John, I'm so very pleased that Pub's post conjured a laugh from you. I hope it brightened your day. I wonder if you would care to comment on the film perchance? 

So I’m not allowed to react to posts on the forums anymore? Reacting with a laugh emoji does not equal agreement. Pub’s blunt response to your post merely drew a chuckle out of me, that’s all. 

I don’t know what your issue is with me or my posting habits but you need to stop being so sensitive to everything!

I disliked I, Tonya.  I enjoy a dark comedy as much as anyone, but that movie was clumsy and very thin. The fourth wall breaking stuff required a better filmmaker to work and the script reeked of a shitty writer looking for “an angle” to tell the real life story.  As mediocre as they come.

38 minutes ago, John said:

So I’m not allowed to react to posts on the forums anymore? Reacting with a laugh emoji does not equal agreement. Pub’s blunt response to your post merely drew a chuckle out of me, that’s all. 

Nobody has made such claims, and what's more is you've seriously misinterpreted my post. I do not believe that a reaction denotes an agreement, but I thought it a curious one given the circumstances and I figured you might have something to say in regards to the film in question. 

As for my apparent sensitivity, it's quite clear that it is you that takes issue with me for whatever reason, boding an air of opposition through various comments on both the forums and at least one rash instance on the Discord since the first few months of my time on JW Fan. I suppose that it was a fitting introduction considering the unfortunate amount of toxic slime that one must filter through on these forums, but it still surpasses all reason and sensibility. 

12 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Nobody has made such claims, and what's more is you've seriously misinterpreted my post. I do not believe that a reaction denotes an agreement, but I thought it a curious one given the circumstances and I figured you might have something to say in regards to the film in question. 

Again, I was not trying to make a point about you or the movie in general, I thought it was just a chuckleworthy post. If you've noticed, I react to similarly sarcastic posts all the time here, not just ones aimed at you.

As for my apparent sensitivity, it's quite clear that it is you that takes issue with me for whatever reason, boding an air of opposition through various comments on both the forums and at least one rash instance on the Discord since the first few months of my time on JW Fan. I suppose that it was a fitting introduction considering the unfortunate amount of toxic slime that one must filter through on these forums, but it still surpasses all reason and sensibility. 

I just want to make it clear that I harbor no resentment towards you. I admit that I'm often abrasive in my online interactions in general and we've had our disagreements in the past, but I’ve tried to not hold them against you since. I’ve engaged in conversations with you on the discord many times, I don’t know about this "rash instance" you refer to.

The fact that you actually called me out for reacting to another member’s post and have made this big of a deal about it says much more about you than it does me. Frankly, if you're gonna take offense to my every action, just go to your settings and ignore me. It's not that hard.

Go project your insecurities onto someone else!

18 hours ago, John said:

I just want to make it clear that I harbor no resentment towards you.

18 hours ago, John said:

Go project your insecurities onto someone else!

Might it be that y'all are projecting onto each other, and biting your thumbs at the other for no reason?

Jerry was just looking for attention as he typically does. 

Regardless, the issue is over with, Nick. No need to drag it out any further.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Might it be that y'all are projecting onto each other, and biting your thumbs at the other for no reason?

This is exactly what it is, and I think it's high time we just move on instead of continuing to pollute the forum with unnecessary complaints and contradictions. There's already too much toxic waste floating around the Internet. It's a simple butting of heads, a common baseless occurrence. 

54 minutes ago, John said:

Jerry was just looking for attention as he typically does. 

Regardless, the issue is over with, Nick. No need to drag it out any further.

Come now, John boy! There's really no need for this. 

21 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

This is exactly what it is, and I think it's high time we just move on instead of continuing to pollute the forum with unnecessary complaints and contradictions. There's already too much toxic waste floating around the Internet. It's a simple butting of heads, a common baseless occurrence. 

Come now, John boy! There's really no need for this. 

I'm not the one who started this. I said the issue was resolved and you're the one who's continuing it!

Makes me wonder if you're this starved for attention in real life. :)

On 1/21/2020 at 4:10 PM, Koray Savas said:

I haven’t watched this one yet because I’m afraid of how terrible of an adaption it will be, like The Giver. I wish Darabont got to make his version before Bradbury passed away. 

Bradbury wanted him to make it too! 

I wish Daranbont was still alive.