What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It struggles to get going, but I do like the payoffs we get for Bruce and Alfred (a dynamic all but forgotten in The Dark Knight) and Bruce and Gordon.

Lovely.

John Wick. An amazing film. But the violence which is abundant and beautifully choreographed is still much. So my planned binge watching was delayed. I have a 4 day weeked this coming weekend where I plan to watch a bunch of films.

Saw a film on Prime or Netflix not sure which called Rattkesnake. Pleasant b movie about choices.

John Wick 2 and 3 are even better, expanding the lore of that world beautifully and with some amazing action sequences. Keanu, Mark Dacascos and two Thai fighters from those (also incredible) The Raid movies are in one of the best fight/martial arts scenes of the decade on the third movie.

On 2/9/2020 at 3:57 AM, SteveMc said:

The Conversation

Nice taut, tense Coppola.  Hackman's performance is remarkable.  

4/4

Steve, and @Alexcremers, which version do you listen to? The original mono mix, or the 5.1 mix?

IMO, both are good, and bring out different aspects of the narrative.

Ps, it's my favourite Coppola film, too.

I'm in a depressed shitty romcom mood.

fword.jpg

This movie apparently has various titles. Mine was What If. Yeah, it's a fucken romcom with Harry Potter. Honestly, it wasn't bad, but when you're cuddled up alone in bed depressed eating pretzels and hummus, all this kind of shit works for you. I was a bit put off initially by the "witty" Millennial/Gen Z ironic cynical monotone dialogue, but the leads had good chemistry. It's one of those will they or won't they flicks where you have to earn the eventual hookup and it's all the more satisfying. I enjoyed it more than all the Harry Potter movies.

920x920.jpg

This is another Millennial romcom flick carried by its leads. I remember seeing this in the theater back when it came out, which should tell you just how far I've come. I think it holds up. The lead actor seems to have done this same schtick in everything I've seen him in, but it seems to work for him.

17 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It's more or less a continuation of that. It's like everyone's trying to emulate Kurt Cobain or something. 

You can only emulate him once and then you too burn in hell 

I forgot. Watched War of the World. Spielberg's almost Masterpiece. I always enjoy it. Que the daughter is anoying statements or the son is a douche comments. I find it bordering on how I would react.

Downton Abbey

A two-hour episode with the gloss of a studio feature. Fans will love it, but for people unfamiliar with the show will be lost (like I was). And the numerous characters are short shifted considering the 2-hour length. The cast is excellent but the story doesn't engage, apart from the Queen Mary subplot and the bit involving the closeted butler. Rather much ado about nothing, I'm afraid.

Avengers Endgame

If Disney and Marvel were smart, they would've wound down the franchise with this film. Apart from the fact that it's a massive culmination of the past 22 films, it offers closure for several characters and genuine emotional catharsis. And the big action climax is still spine-tingling in its culmination, thanks to Silvestri's score. It's still paced rather well despite the 3-hour length, every character gets a moment to shine.

But whoever decided on Jeremy Renner and Brie Larson's unflattering hairstyles should've been canned.

23 minutes ago, Matt C said:

But whoever decided on Jeremy Renner and Brie Larson's unflattering hairstyles should've been canned.

There's a certain Twitter/Tumblr audience they're trying to appeal to with that sort of hairdo.

I did see it at the time and remember enjoying it, have actually been wondering about watching it again (although I'm talking recording it off a TV channel rather than shelling out for a DVD). 

Speaking of which, saw that Stakeout was on last night and recorded it ... haven't seen that since its initial release. Ah, 80s nostalgia.      

WWTLFIS?

Perhaps it was fired by all this 80s nostalgia...but recently, I watched AMERICAN PSYCHO. While I'm still inwardly deconstructing it, I can say that I enjoyed it, although it was very, very, very dark. It was two notches away from self-parody, but Bale's central performance kept it from tipping over the edge.

Sonic the Hedgehog 

This was rough going. Jim Carrey was god awful as Dr. Robotnik, basically channeling his Edward Nygma/Riddler performance from Batman Forever. (Only not funny.)

Ben Schwartz was fun as Sonic and he had some good buddy chemistry with James Marsden, but Carrey’s obnoxious performance turns this into a drag. 

If you have kids, they’ll eat it up. But even die hard Sonic fans should give this a pass.

Full metal jacket.

I don’t know… We had to watch this one with secondary school, the ‘shoot me’ scene still sounded familiar. I’m sure it’s all realistic, but overall I found Apocalypse Now much more… fascinating, for want of a better word, maybe because that was my first Vietnam movie, which meant this one didn’t really contain any surprises. I felt aloof most of the time and only briefly felt sorry for everyone during the last 10 minutes.

The songs started out fine, but then The Bird Is The Word began to play and it just didn’t work. Apocalypse Now left me with an insane mixture of disgust and happiness (again for want of a better word), but this one hardly left any impression. The score was only functional in the beginning, the rest was weird.

19 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

WWTLFIS?

Perhaps it was fired by all this 80s nostalgia...but recently, I watched AMERICAN PSYCHO. While I'm still inwardly deconstructing it, I can say that I enjoyed it, although it was very, very, very dark. It was two notches away from self-parody, but Bale's central performance kept it from tipping over the edge.

I'd say you're meant to find the strutting 'alpha males' ridiculous. And you're never sure how much of it is going on only in Bateman's head ... the old 'unreliable narrator' thing. 

The whole "comparing dicks, er...sorry...calling cards" was silly, but that was the 80s for you; the decade of artifice and meaninglessness. It was the most shallow of times.

Yes, I'm not sure how much of it was "real", either.

14 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The whole "comparing dicks, er...sorry...calling cards" was silly, but that was the 80s for you; the decade of artifice and meaninglessness. It was the most shallow of times.

That's why I call Blade Runner the last '70s movie Hollywood has ever made.

18 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Full metal jacket.

I don’t know… We had to watch this one with secondary school, the ‘shoot me’ scene still sounded familiar. I’m sure it’s all realistic, but overall I found Apocalypse Now much more… fascinating, for want of a better word, maybe because that was my first Vietnam movie, which meant this one didn’t really contain any surprises. I felt aloof most of the time and only briefly felt sorry for everyone during the last 10 minutes.

The songs started out fine, but then The Bird Is The Word began to play and it just didn’t work. Apocalypse Now left me with an insane mixture of disgust and happiness (again for want of a better word), but this one hardly left any impression. The score was only functional in the beginning, the rest was weird.

Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket are two very different movies. 

Sliding doors.

Pretty good and original. Paltrow’s British accent is passable, although her character is a bit stupid. Zara turner was very nice, John Lynch had one great moment, Jeanne Tripplehorn is fantastic and James grew on me too.

The score is quite good as well, especially the celesta playing when the movie re-winded.

I watched Knives Out tonight, it was bloody good fun. Some scenes had a really great European cinema vibe about them, helped enormously by a zesty and assured musical underscore. A treat in the mould of classic whodunnits, only slightly marred by some late game predictability and a disappointing lack of devilish coda traditionally befitting of the genre. But everything else was well done, and I look forward to the inevitable follow up.

A new Agatha-esque detective franchise is born.

Yea, that was good fun. Though I kind of figured out the "whodunnit" of it all much earlier than I would have liked.

Movie was fun, the mystery underplotted. Johnson must have missed the grandness of Orient Express's and Death on the Nile's (or even Witness of the Prosecution) resolution, he offers a tv case with one measly talented murderer. But at least he got the 'star cast is having fun' aspect right. I was reminded that Don Johnson should be employed more often. 

Another movie with Benoit Blanc is in the works ... Craig will be pleased to have found another hit franchise as his Bond tenure ends.

Stakeout - hadn't seen this comedy-action-thriller since the VHS release, so this was a welcome revisit.

Madeline Stowe ... man, what a hottie.

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

Watched Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN and it really made an impression on me. Frankly I think its RT critics score is waaay too low; in my eyes it's a masterpiece.

The production design is so richly detailed. I discover something new every time I watch.

MV5BMTY0NjUzNjYwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzY1

I know it's a tribute to the heroes who prevented a massacre, but it feels like Clint Eastwood only had a couple of weeks to write, shoot and edit the whole thing. If you want to pay true homage, though, make a better movie. 4/10