What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The director has much more control over the editing than the writing, though.

Directors like Eastwood, Scott and Spielberg are really dependent on having a good script.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

The production design is so richly detailed. I discover something new every time I watch.

Yep, and I bet! It's one I definitely will have to rewatch (and sooner rather than later).

3 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Watched Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN and it really made an impression on me. Frankly I think its RT critics score is waaay too low; in my eyes it's a masterpiece.

Except that it's completely nonsensical. Great score though!

Darren Aronofsky usually rubs it in a little too much, for my taste. Of the movies I've seen of him, I enjoyed The Wrestler the most and Noah the least. 

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Darren Aronofsky usually rubs it in a little too much, for my taste. Of the movies I've seen of him, I enjoyed The Wrestler the most and Noah the least. 

What else have you seen? I still need to watch Noah. 

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I liked NOAH. It took diabolical liberties with the narrative, but it was interesting to see the Nephilim, and I appreciated the way that it didn't skirt the "Noah naked" episode.

Do they show Abraham's bosom?

The Enforcer - 'Dirty' Harry Callahan comes up against the 'People's Revolutionary Strike Force' whilst continuing to clash with his liberally-minded superiors who - horror of horrors! - lumber him with an inexperienced female partner (Tyne Daly). 

Not the best of this series, but not too bad with a nice balance between the mayhem and the humour.  

Last Monday, I watched STAR TREK NEMESIS. I liked it so much that I watched it again, last night. I really don't understand all the animosity towards this film. Yes, there are inconsistencies. Yes, you can drive a Greyhound bus through some of the plot holes, but is it really worse than "Have you noticed how your boobs have firmed up"?!

It's easily my favourite of the TNG films. 

It looks good, the pace is good, and the score is fantastic late-flowering Jerry.

It is - dare I say it - the most subtle, and, perhaps, the most intelligent, of all Star Trek films. The interplay between Picard, and Shinzon is very good, indeed. At the very least, it's the most "internal" of all Star Treks.

I've seen the deleted scenes, and, apart from the "new first officer" stuff, at the end, I think that room should have been made for them. Still, it is what it is.

I like it.

The shining.

I don’t know. The first problem was the fact that the narrator consistently failed to mention that everything was shot in a scary way. As a consequence, the first half sounded like something that was going out of its way to scare me, but failed miserably. I just enjoyed it. Obviously, Jack Nicholson’s performance is truly fantastic, but his wife only has some good moments. I also didn’t like how it ended: not a fan of Stephen King’s paranormal works at all. It would have been so much better had it been a Shutter Island situation in which the whole story was basically a madman’s fantasies.

The score works.

They just said Jack was on it 'grinning devilishly'.

I also forgot to mention yesterday that I missed a few scenes in which Nicholson was slowly losing his mind, but maybe that was because we watched the short cut. Now it gave me the impression that he turned up at the hotel perfectly fine, then we have 'one month later' and he's suddenly crazy.

But I also read Roger Ebert's review and definitely think it's better now.

Snowpiercer - maybe it's just because I was quite tired last night, but I thought this (apart from a highly amusing Tilda Swinton) was just OK. Overall, I think I preferred how similar themes were tackled in High-Rise.

The Hallelujah Trail, on Blu-ray. Sadly the worst Blu transfer I've seen, it looks like a blow-up of an anamorphic NTSC disc, with tons of artifacts, low resolution and heavy aliasing. The film itself is still great, with wonderful dry humour, perfect no-nonsense performances plus spot on comedic timing by Lancaster and Remick (and Landau and Pleasence). The score remains my favourite by Bernstein. Shame that so much music is lost (missing on the album, with the original tapes destroyed), but not even the film itself has a decent release.

Alien (1979)

I liked it! I really appreciated the slow burn quality that it had, plus just how tense it could really get. There were points where my heart was racing a bit, in spite of having already known the general gist. I'm certainly interested in watching Aliens eventually. Not sure about any of the rest. 

Also: the music was definitely butchered in the film. Admittedly, the most recognizable stuff is there, but a lot of what made the originally written score as interesting as it is definitely got lost in the final cut.

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

Snowpiercer ain't too popular around here but I quite liked it. The ending was better than average too.

I like Snowpiercer too, I think it's pretty good. And I remember liking Beltrami's score as well.

Need to watch the other Bong movies, though. At least The Host and Okja are on Netflix.

Toy story 2.

Pretty great, much better than the original movie. Tom Hanks wasn’t as good as he could have been again, but Kelsey Grammar is brilliant (Argh, Sideshow Bob!), though I’m not giving Frasier another chance. Loved the jokes too.

The score is predictable, but who wouldn’t love playful music with Western passages? The new song is fantastic as well. One punch sounded really artificial, but the mix is great.

23 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Alien

I liked it! I really appreciated the slow burn quality that it had, plus just how tense it could really get. There were points where my heart was racing a bit, in spite of having already known the general gist.

I saw ALIEN, on its opening weekend, at the Odeon Leicester Square. I was front row, royal circle. The film was shown in 70mm, and 6-track magnetic.

I had never seen a sheer mind numbingly scary film, in my life, and I doubt that I ever shall. It was an overwhelming experience.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:29 AM, Tydirium said:

.Frankly I think its RT critics score is waaay too low; in my eyes it's a masterpiece.

This makes zero sense. 

The Rotten Tomato score is simply an aggregation of all the reviews providing a percentage of positve reviews and negative reviews. Your beef should be with the individual film critics.

15 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

This makes zero sense. 

The Rotten Tomato score is simply an aggregation of all the reviews providing a percentage of positve reviews and negative reviews. Your beef should be with the individual film critics.

People always forget this.

16 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I saw ALIEN, on its opening weekend, at the Odeon Leicester Square. I was front row, royal circle. The film was shown in 70mm, and 6-track magnetic.

I had never seen a sheer mind numbingly scary film, in my life, and I doubt that I ever shall. It was an overwhelming experience.

For me Jaws and the Exorcist were the overwhelming experiences. For sheer visceral experience Dawn of the Dead is still tops. Soylent Green may be people but people are MEAT.

The neck bite scene ..... 

27 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

For me Jaws and the Exorcist were the overwhelming experiences.

It's because they are made in America directed by Americans. 

Just now, Alexcremers said:

It's because they are made in America directed by Americans. 

A better answer is I saw those two first and was somewhat desensitized. Another way to look at it is Jaws and the Exorcist are superior films.