What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah I only liked the look of that forest.

Which got burned down to ashes during the shooting of the film.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Mainly in the beginning. But it looks ugly and boring at the end (climax) when there was no more money.

You're right there! The whole last reel looks like it was shot on the cheap, as if they needed to use Sid Sheinberg's basement of his mansion to double for Darkie's hell cave.

The Hall of Columns looks amazing. I don't think Darkness's lair had anything to do with a reduced budget, that's how it looked. Hjortsberg's book culminates into a sprawling attack of the fairy folk at Darkness's castle, all this was cut down long before production began because it was deemed too expensive. 

Oh, indeed, you do! Ha ha ha!

LEGEND has its faults, to be sure, but there are many things to enjoy: the gorgeous inside-outside forest,  Alex Thompson's lush cinematography, Tim Curry's Darkness (with incredible make-up), and Jerry's astounding score.

Oh, yes...and Mia Sara :)

37 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

You're right there! The whole last reel looks like it was shot on the cheap, as if they needed to use Sid Sheinberg's basement of his mansion to double for Darkie's hell cave.

Not only that, you only see close-ups of faces, as if they wanted to hide the ugly surroundings. The photography style completely changed at the end.

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Did you watch the version scored by Goldsmith or the one by Tangerine Dream?

What is the go-to version if this film, now that the DC is out? I have never seen even a second of the Tangerine Dream version.

59 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Goldy's score is really that good is it? Hmm, I wonder if it's on Spotify.

It is, but apparently it's not available in my country :angry:

https://open.spotify.com/album/3kTP5fjmL4uuQPyaexXfjL

Anyway, it's on YouTube as well.

2 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

The US theatrical seems to have limited availability and has never been available in Australia. We've only ever had the international theatrical and the DC on our shelves.

Same here.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Goldy's score is really that good is it? Hmm, I wonder if it's on Spotify.

It is a masterpiece. One of his five best scores.

Just now, Quintus said:

Of the choices that's the recommended version?

All the streaming stuff uses the Silva version, so it's the same, never checked YT.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Of the choices that's the recommended version?

There is just an OST and an enxtended version from the early nineties. The latter is clearly the better version which has crucial additional cues to offer. The score doesn't drag at all in its (almost) complete form.

A quiet place.

The first half was great, but then they started talking, which was inevitable, I guess, and I lost some interest as more and more aliens kept cropping up everywhere without reason. Still, I’ll probably watch the sequel at some point, which is saying something because I usually don’t care for aliens.

Most of the score works, but I can’t help wondering what it would have been like without music and there’s some weird piano effect at play too. Also, was it a coincidence that the swinging access panel sounded exactly like the two notes from Jaws?

Moonraker - a mixed bag, it's fair to say ... for all the good (Lonsdale, the centrifuge bit, Corinne's eerie death-by-Dobermann, the score, the still-excellent effects, sets and modelwork) there's bad to undercut it (some truly rotten back-projection, the cringeworthy attempts at humour with Jaws (and his 'conversion' to the side of good), the 'Bondola' (and That Bloody Pigeon) ).

It's as if, in trying to remake THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, the team forgot everything that made that film brilliant.

I watch it occasionally, and granted, it's a lot more fun than, say, A VIEW TO A KILL or FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, but its definitely second-tier Bond.

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's as if, in trying to remake THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, the team forgot everything that made that film brilliant.

I watch it occasionally, and granted, it's a lot more fun than, say, A VIEW TO A KILL or FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, but its definitely second-tier Bond.

Moonraker was a quick remake of TSWLM made to take advantage of Star Wars hype.  

Far from the madding crowd.

Boring, unrealistic and contrived. All the actors are great except Tom Sturridge and there are severe pacing issues. I’ve always loved Carey Mulligan, though, and Matthias Schoenaerts was a real surprise too (nearly flawless accent). Also hard to believe Michael Sheen was so great here and so terrible in Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue.

The score could have been fantastic. It’s certainly very good, but yet again, Craig Armstrong writes music with lots of potential and then forgets to add that final special something James Newton Howard did not forget when writing The Village. The dialogue also tends to get lost in the mix, but there’s a truly brilliant moment when the score drowns out a waltz. Ooh, folk music!

The Fly (1986)

Screenshot_20200317-181344.png

This is one of those definitive horror flicks from the golden age of seemingly every genre. It has just the right amount of perfectly set up human drama before the transformation begins. Then it's just a freakshow of disturbing makeup effects that couldn't have been done better today. Geena Davis is really quite good in this. Goldblum goes from a sort of drug addict on a bender to deteriorating from a terminal illness. The final gunshot to the head has always made me laugh, but this is a dark and disturbing flick that stays with you.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:27 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The Fly (1986)

Screenshot_20200317-181344.png

This is one of those definitive horror flicks from the golden age of seemingly every genre. It has just the right amount of perfectly set up human drama before the transformation begins. Then it's just a freakshow of disturbing makeup effects that couldn't have been done better today. Geena Davis is really quite good in this. Goldblum goes from a sort of drug addict on a bender to deteriorating from a terminal illness. The final gunshot to the head has always made me laugh, but this is a dark and disturbing flick that stays with you.

Cool Shore score.

22 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Cool Shore score.

It's my favourite score by Howard Shore.

58 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Has anyone seen Seven Samurai (1954)?

I'm about to watch it since it's considered a milestone of world cinema, but I don't generally like samurai films and.... 3,5 hours???

WATCH IT!!!!!

It's not only a "milestone of world cinema", it's among the greatest films ever made.

As for the length...who cares?

SCHINDLER'S LIST 3hrs 15mins,

APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX 3hrs 15mins,

JFK 3hrs 15mins,

THE RETURN OF THE KING (EE) 4hrs,

BEN-HUR 3hs 45mins,

CLEOPATRA 4hrs,

THE GODFATHER PT. 2

3hrs 15mins,

DANCES WITH WOLVES (EE) 4hrs,

STALKER 3hrs,

SOLYARIS 3hrs.

Length is not important.

Personally, I like long films, as you can see from the above list.

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's my favourite score by Howard Shore.

WATCH IT!!!!!

It's not only a "milestone of world cinema", it's among the greatest films ever made.

JFK 3hrs 15mins,

BEN-HUR 3hs 45mins,

CLEOPATRA 4hrs,

THE GODFATHER PT. 2

3hrs 15mins,

STALKER 3hrs,

SOLYARIS 3hrs.

Length is not important.

Lawrence of Arabia??

23 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

JFK 3hrs 15mins,

BEN-HUR 3hs 45mins,

CLEOPATRA 4hrs,

THE GODFATHER PT. 2

3hrs 15mins,

STALKER 3hrs,

SOLYARIS 3hrs.

Length is not important.

I do tend to watch the ones that are 4 hours in two takes. 

The Adventures of Tintim

Saw this movie on Amazon Prime yesterday, the first time I do so since it came out in theaters almost ten years ago (!).

Geez, this movie is gorgeous, isn't it? The visuals, the textures, the virtual sets... It's a feast for the eyes, exactly because it doesn't try to be a realistic recreation of the real world, but a mix between reality and a cartoon.

Spielberg's direction is energetic and fun, showing his mastery even on virtual sets, while Williams' score is very thematic even for a movie under 2 hours long, with perfect themes for Tintin, Snowy, Haddock, the mistery of the scrolls, Sakharin and the pirate duel (as well as a Jarre-like motif for Bagghar).

On the other hand, I still felt that much of the music was drowned by the sound effects, even on dialogue scenes. Also, the music itself didn't present many opportunities for Williams music to shine. It could've used a montage of the characters traveling, something conducted primarily by music.

Also, I thought the movie lacked more memorable characters. Tintin is a little bland, without the charm of a Indiana Jones or a Rick O'Connel type. The villain was forgettable and Haddock was mostly annoying, yelling and whining the whole movie and his incompetence during the mission was more irritating than fun. And I disliked how the movie used Haddock's acoholism as funny and charming, instead of the disease it is, which is a little disturbing on a film made for kids.

The action scenes were fun and cartoony, but the transition between the second act's climax (The Pursuit of the Falcon) and the third act (The Clash of Cranes) was very fast. It's like the movie is too slow on the beginning and too fast on the ending.

That said, it's really better than I remembered. Now I want to see what Jackson will do on the sequel... eventually.