What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

23 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Ironically, there's a George Lucas quote that comes to mind:

Hypocritical given who's saying it, I know, but nonetheless it is largely true.

Lucas' quote makes no sense to me since all my favorite movies are more about experiencing a world than they are about story. 

A lot of my favourite films are set in exotic, imaginative and/or pictorial environments, but the story is always what captivates me. The world is window-dressing.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood aged pretty poorly for me. I thought it was OK in theaters, but now I consider it one of Tarantino's weakest.

Don't forget about The Hateful Eight. Nevermind, everyone might say what they wanna say, but it is a fact that his two most recent films lack the exact thing that made him such a great director in the first place. He's become his own free rider.

39 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

A lot of my favourite films are set in exotic, imaginative and/or pictorial environments, but the story is always what captivates me. The world is window-dressing.

I guess that's why my favorite movies aren't your favorite movies and vice versa. There's is no "truth", just different approaches, different needs. I value things like mood, characters, dialog, visual expression, the content, ... For me the story is just a means to an end. It also explains why I don't like movies like Inception because they are too story centered. 

Okay so just finished Pulp Fiction...

...could someone please explain to me what the hell that was all about? Why does everyone think it's so great? Do we have another Serenity on our hands here? It's definitely my least favourite Tarantino film I've seen so far.

12 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

...could someone please explain to me what the hell that was all about? Why does everyone think it's so great? Do we have another Serenity on our hands here? It's definitely my least favourite Tarantino film I've seen so far.

Wrong. Watch it again.

As mentioned in the 4K thread, I rewatched the prequels on UHD over three evenings. For all their ineptitude I was actually quite surprised how full of ideas they are. Lucas might have missed have dropped badly with execution but the ideas themselves actually make sense for the most part. Even the fact that the Sith Lord uses a banal trade dispute that no one in the galaxy cares about to advance his position is a bold and interesting choice. Anakin's storyline, for all its poor writing/acting, is actually more relatable than I remember. The films feel like they're "about something" and the stylistic departure from the OT was actually an inspired idea. Now...if they had a proper solid writer to take a crack at fleshing out those ideas... I'm not saying prequels are good. They are very far from that. What am I implying, however, is that at least they feel like someone decided to take some risks at least. Fir what it's worth, I didn't hate revisiting them after so many years.

Karol

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

My only takeaways were how f*cking long it is and how sparsely JW’s music is used.

You should really enjoy sparsely scored movies nowadays.

5 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

That's why you never were and never will be someone one should listen to, when it comes to movies and their quality. Just believe me, it is one of the best films ever made and saying that is neither an attempt to follow the public opinion nor to be a hipster.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

That's why you never were and never will be someone one should listen to, when it comes to movies and their quality. Just believe me, it is one of the best films ever made and saying that is neither an attempt to follow the public opinion nor to be a hipster.

Sheesh, knock it off with the personal condescending film snob attititude. I'm just asking for help in deciphering what this movie was about and what was going on. I can't just "believe" you, because this film offers me no proof of it's supposed excellence since I've seen QT make significantly better quality films since. I'm just not sure that PF lives up to its reputation.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

2zqk60.jpg

12 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

People like it because they feel it's exactly how 'cool' is supposed to look like: The typical Tarantino conversations, the humor, the violence, the dancing scene, the clothes they wear, the whole vibe of the movie ... 

It's not my favorite Tarantino either, but it's certainly not one of his worst. I give it a 7/10. 

Yeah, maybe I'm less enamoured by it because I've seen his later films first, so his tricks established and used in Pulp Fiction don't impress me as much. I liked OUATIH, TH8 and DU a lot more than this. As well as RD, I liked that one.

Ah well, Jackie Brown and Kill Bill up next.

8 hours ago, Alex said:

I watched Empire of the Sun last night and my only takeaways were how f*cking long it is and how sparsely JW’s music is used.

OK, but, other than that, it's a bloody masterpeice!

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

You should really enjoy sparsely scored movies nowadays.

Yes, yes. To Brundlefly, you listen.

26 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

OK, but, other than that, it's a bloody masterpeice!

Perhaps people would have been more satisfied if the movie was about 'The Further Adventures Of Short Round In Shanghai'?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

THE EMPIRE OF THE SUN STRIKES BACK

Is The Boys from Brazil worth watching?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is The Boys from Brazil worth watching?

Its directed by Franklin J. Schaffer, it has a stella cast, that includes Abraham Van Helsing, General Goglo, Alfred Pennyworth, Atticus Finch, Norman Maine, Aunt May, and that bloke from POLICE ACADEMY.

It's nicely paced, has great locations - including a stunning shot, at the foot of a dam - and a first class score, by Jerry.

It's also complete tosh :lol:

It could be called a "guilty pleasure", but rather like Barbra Streisand, I've got nothing to be guilty of.

I like it. You may like it, too...or not...

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I wish I'd seen THE HATEFUL 8 in 70mm.

I wish I knew why Tarantino made such a big deal of it being shot in that format when most of it takes place in a fucking cabin. 

Sneakers - Robert Redford's team of 'ethical hackers' are recruited by the NSA to nab a 'black box' (ah, McGuffins) created by a genius mathematician that is able to decrypt the coding of pretty much every one of the world's computer systems. They do, but naturally the plot thickens ...

This amusing and 'twisty' caper movie is tremendous fun. Cast also boasts the likes of Sidney Poitier, Ben Kingsley, Dan Aykroyd and River Phoenix.

19 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Why does everyone think [Pulp Fiction]'s so great?

Back in 1995, it arrived like a blast of fresh air, managing (with apparent effortlessness) to surprise and delight at every turn. It feels like a cinematic instance of the musical notion of moment form in that its virtues proceed from each moment individually (to a certain degree, at least). Everything is brought off with such panache and confidence that it doesn't matter if it isn't actually about anything. I haven't seen many films that felt as fresh and exhilerating as this one. I'm glad that I got to see it when it was new.

21 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Everything is brought off with such panache and confidence that it doesn't matter if it isn't actually about anything.

Basically how I feel about all Tarantinos.  My secret favorite is Django.  It's so delectably trashy in the most weirdly beguiling way.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I wish I knew why Tarantino made such a big deal of it being shot in that format when most of it takes place in a fucking cabin. 

That's the whole point, isn't it?

The breadth of the screen accentuates the claustrophobia of the story. The same effect is achieved on BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK, and, to an extent, both THE ABYSS, and AMERICAN BEAUTY.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

My secret favorite is Django.

For its first half, I thought Django Unchained was his best and most entertaining film since Pulp Fiction. In the second half, some of his traits which I find less appealing came out in force: dialogue (or monologues) which feel somewhat forced or contrived, extended scenes of sadism, and over-the-top gore. Still, the good far outweighs the bad. I wouldn't want him to change his ways so long as that remains the case.

I'd rank his films roughly as follows:

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Jackie Brown
  3. Kill Bill
  4. Reservoir Dogs
  5. Once upon a Time...in Hollywood
  6. Inglourious Basterds
  7. Django Unchained
  8. The Hateful Eight
  9. Death Proof

Death Proof is great.

20 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Kill Bill up next. Any good.

His most visually driven flick. You can even watch this one with no sound. Hopefully you have a good quality version. It will look nice on OLED.

VySnYC5.jpg

Hiroshima, Mon Amour

Overly studied, perhaps, but with reason, because this is truly electrifying cinematic poetry. From its opening frame, time is bent, memory is distorted and the lines between love, loss, fact, fiction are blurred. When people doubt film's capacity to strive above entertainment, this is the film to go to. A textbook example on encapsulating a human experience on the macro and micro level. Resnais' visual compositions are also gorgeous and thoughtfully sequenced. And Duras' lofty prose is grounded by Riva's exhilarating charisma. Delerue's score on the other, often overplays its hand, though it's not without its moments.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good enough sound setup here to pick up such things. But the restorations and picture quality is generally brilliant on Criterion Channel.

21 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's the whole point, isn't it?

The breadth of the screen accentuates the claustrophobia of the story. The same effect is achieved on BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK, and, to an extent, both THE ABYSS, and AMERICAN BEAUTY.

Guess I expected more in the way of glorious widescreen vistas with 70mm Panavision. 

I'm not keen on the film in general anyway ... the story's way too slight to support the runtime. It, Death Proof and Kill Bill Vol. 2 are the least of Tarantino IMO. 

38 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Guess I expected more in the way of glorious widescreen vistas with 70mm Panavision.

Sometimes, the 2.35:1, or 2.65:1, can amplify the more oppressive aspects of a story, whether it's physical, or emotional.

Having said that...there is an interesting YouTube clip that explains why the dinosaurs in JURASSIC PARK, are far more terrifying in 1.85:1, than they are in JURASSIC WORLD, in 2.35:1.

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I don't like Ultra Panavision.

Its much too wide to elegantly compose within, and its always better to avoid anamorphic if you can.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Having said that...there is an interesting YouTube clip that explains why the dinosaurs in JURASSIC PARK, are far more terrifying in 1.85:1, than they are in JURASSIC WORLD, in 2.35:1.

And the reason is that the former is a better film.