What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Darkest Hour - stirring WW2 drama with an Oscar-winning turn from Gary Oldman as Churchill. Winston seeking the opinions of a packed Tube carriage essentially on whether or not to enter into peace negotiations with Germany is admittedly on the far-fetched side, but it's forgivable overall.

Airplane! - a classic, relentlessly joke-delivering machine of a comedy.

Nope, it was not forgivable. It was unnecessary and uncalled for. I didn't need that feel-good ending at all since there was nothing feel-good about the rest of the subject matter.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Sure, but this has more to do with your satisfaction of seeing a movie that you really like than with a movie being feel-good and uplifting. 

Well, by the end of Endgame, the villain is defeated, all the dead heroes from Infinity War come back, major characters such as Captain America get happy endings... what's more uplifting than that? 

War of the Worlds

It really doesn't hold up very well.

One of Spielberg's darkest movies, and one of the most frustrating, because it could've been so much better (also darker and more disturbing) without his tendency to give everyone a happy ending and Cruise's insistence on playing the action hero even when the movie doesn't ask for that.

On the plus side, Williams' dark and unforgiving score and the visual effects, which are great even after 15 years.

However, thank goodness Spielberg is a master visual storyteller, because David Koepp's script isn't exactly great and has some poor dialogues, Cruise is a weird choice for the part of an immature father and Kaminski's cinematography... Well, I don't know the technical terms, but it felt the visuals are very off. The white color is extremely bright, unnaturally so, and it doesn't look good.

I managed to print some shots out of Netflix. I don't know if that's just me, or the movie really has some blinding white color.

guerra dos mundos 1.png

guerra dos mundos 2.png

Kaminski does that annoying surface of the sun thing. First time I noticed it in a Spielberg movie was Hammond's windows in The Lost World. It makes everything look bright and hard like when Buffy was resurected from heaven.

jp2deleted03.jpg

32 minutes ago, publicist said:

Kaminski dp'd many movies that without glaring lightning effects, Spielberg seems to have a huge input on that.

But Spielberg’s films never looked like that until Kaminski came on board. 

So what does that tell you? That Spielberg from that point on surrendered his vision wholly to Kaminski's *presumed* artificial lightning schemes?

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Well, by the end of Endgame, the villain is defeated, all the dead heroes from Infinity War come back, major characters such as Captain America get happy endings... what's more uplifting than that? 

Then why didn't I feel good or uplifted? Maybe you have to be a comic book superfan to understand this but I didn't see a feel-good or uplifting movie. There's something final about the whole atmosphere (and even a long funeral scene near the end), a sadness of an end of an era, two major characters are gone. The Avengers must go on without them. Believe me, Edmilson, you'll never find Endgame in feel-good movie lists.  

2 hours ago, publicist said:

So what does that tell you? That Spielberg from that point on surrendered his vision wholly to Kaminski's *presumed* artificial lightning schemes?

Probably. You think Spielberg tells John Williams and Michael Khan what to do anymore? 

It's 'Kahn'. Kaminski is his regular DP since Schindler. I don't think he is forcing his own style - if that is his style - down Spielberg's throat since 25 years without one veto. And yes, it would be unthinkable that a director like Spielberg doesn't give input to his composer and editor. 

It's a partnership, but more with Kaminski then with Williams, for obvious reasons. Spielberg isn't going to compose for Williams, but he does know a thing or two about cinematography. 

The Birds was on yesterday. It was a mini Hitchcock marathon. Vertigo was on before. I suppose I should think Vertigl wad the better film. I certainly cannot state that it is as I really dont like it. I don't like the characters at all. However in the Birds I love the characters, The banter between the two main characters is real and sardonic. Suzanne Pleshette is one gorgeous creature. She far outshines Tippi Hedren in sex-appeal, not that they both lovely. Jessica Tandy is a frightening character of virtue and manners. She brings the temperature in the room down. The film frustrates me at times. So many of the back screen shots deadens the film. I understand their purpose but then the next show will be against a live background. And the film deserves a real score. Still this film does not need to be remade. Technical issues aside this is a brilliant film whose mystery should never be explored.. 

The next film was Psycho. A 1960's film in Black and White? What a wonderful choice. There are so many ways to watch this film. As a film fan, as a fan of the film, and as a fan of film.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

It's 'Kahn'. Kaminski is his regular DP since Schindler. I don't think he is forcing his own style - if that is his style - down Spielberg's throat since 25 years without one veto. And yes, it would be unthinkable that a director like Spielberg doesn't give input to his composer and editor. 

Doesn’t make sense that a director would completely flip his visual style halfway through his career, at the exact same time he started working with a new DP. What happened to Spielberg then between Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List, both filmed in the same year? Just all of a sudden decided that he liked bright ass lights?

15 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

have you seen the original?

it's coming from Criterion. It's fun to compare the two.

Yes, the only version I haven't seen is the recent BBC TV show. 

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

That’s the Kaminski effect. My least favorite of Spielberg collaborators.

Minority Report suffers the same effect along with many other of Spielberg’s films. 

I was certain it was a JJ Abrams film for all the flares. Kaminski is a horrible dp. They say he cried everyday while making Catch Me If You Can. All that color scared him.  Imagine if he shot Jaws. It would have had a palette of flat blue/gray.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, the only version I haven't seen is the recent BBC TV 

Have seen the French version? Only 8 episodes with more to come if renewed.

I will get the upcoming blu of the original film

Just now, Edmilson said:

The 1950s one? No, I haven't. Is it any good?

Its a masterpiece of its time. 

4 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Have seen the French version? Only 8 episodes with more to come if renewed.

JoeinAr reading subtitles?! :blink:

All kidding aside, I've never heard of a French version.

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

well, for its time, it's good. What you'd expect from 50s sci-fi.

I was maybe 7 or 8 when I watched it on TV. I thought it was the best movie ever. Watched it again when I was much older and didn't think it was that good anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

JoeinAr reading subtitles?! :blink:

All kidding aside, I've never heard of a French version.

https://www.epix.com/series/war-of-the-worlds

Remember Alex I grew up in an English/French bilingual family. I always went to Catholic Mass in French

Two different War of the Worlds adaptations came out last year

The BBC one with Rafe Spall and Robert Carlyle set in the early 1900s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(British_TV_series)

The Canal+ one with Gabriel Byrne and Elizabeth McGovern set in modern day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Worlds_(2019_TV_series)

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've seen this one and can confirm it sucks.

I read criticism that had they actually read the book....

43 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sure he learned French in order to avoid it. :)

If you think french people cringe at non french for butchering the language the reverse is true. When french speak english its always blah blah blah blah.

Learning french was almost as easy as learning english but harder than spanish

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Doesn’t make sense that a director would completely flip his visual style halfway through his career, at the exact same time he started working with a new DP. What happened to Spielberg then between Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List, both filmed in the same year? Just all of a sudden decided that he liked bright ass lights?

It seems like it. Or maybe he doesn't watch his own movies after he shot them.

l

Just wanted to see where that famous 'Theme from A Summer Place' sprang from. Wonderfully ludicrous/lusty Warner Bros. soap, set on an island off Maine (very obviously doubled by Carmel, Ca.). Passions abound, and Max Steiner rides them with gusto. However silly the whole thing may be, they knew a thing or two how to engineer such fluff (to entertain you).

MV5BMTEwMTU1YjMtMjc0OS00NjZiLTk1MGMtNzhk

Didn't like it at all! Found it silly. Too bad, because the Arrow restoration is exceptional with plenty of healthy grain.

I hope they pick better films in the future.

WWTLFIW?

A dark and gritty film, from the mid-70s. Loaded with sass and street cred, the main character spends his life in a dead-end job, and hanging out with his homies, while yearning for that ethereal "something" that will make him stand out from the crowd. His one and only hobby gives him respite from his weary existence, and wafer-thin relationships with his dysfunctional family, including a brother going through a personal crisis, don't help much.

Despite this, it's a film with much warmth and charm.

40 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

????

What is the film called?

That half the fun, isn't it?

1 minute ago, Þekþiþm said:

Richard has a weird habit of refusing to name the movie he just watched.

Not "refusing", but...the clues are there :)

Tbh, this is JWfan, not some stupid "movie appreciation" site. There's a better class of fan, on this site, and a superior way of operating.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

WWTLFIW?

A dark and gritty film, from the mid-70s. Loaded with sass and street cred, the main character spends his life in a dead-end job, and hanging out with his homies, while yearning for that ethereal "something" that will make him stand out from the crowd. His one and only hobby gives him respite from his weary existence, and wafer-thin relationships with his dysfunctional family, including a brother going through a personal crisis, don't help much.

Everything points to A Clockwork Orange except for brother, warmth and charm.

On 5/9/2020 at 7:29 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why is the THE HOBBIT film trilogy so successful? That's a big fucking mystery!

It wasn't 

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

WWTLFIW?

Mean Streets?