What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

50 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What do you think, of it?

Who is this guy? I never saw him previously nor after this movie. Wrong casting!

The beguiled.

Nicole Kidman was totally unrecognisable in the beginning, but she’s mostly excellent, though her character arc is a bit strange in the first scenes. The other girls are okay. Colin Farrell was as boring as ever. Is he going to charm all these women with that Irish accent of his? Yes, he is. That’s it, kill him, girls! I really liked the second half, but Miss Alicia feels this movie would have been better had someone else directed it.

The score has a few cues that belong in a dystopian horror movie and two romantic cues played on synthesizers that kind of work. How about an instrument that belongs in the 1860s, though? The music the girls play is very nice.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't think Bespin would understand it.

maxresdefault.jpg

A rollicking good adventure, with great special effects (even if one near the end is a shot-for-shot rip off of ST:II), a suave villain in the shape of Timothy Dalton, and a rousing score. What's not to understand?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A rollicking good adventure, with great special effects (even if one near the end is a shot-for-shot rip off of ST:II),

Is that the reason why Horner does a note-for-note rip off of ST:II in his score?

Tropic Thunder

One of my favorite comedies, ever since I was a teen. I just love movies on which Hollywood makes fun of itself. The score by Theodore Shapiro is a parody of an RC action score, but it's better and funnier than many actual action scores.

Stiller should really do a sequel, this time making fun of everything that happened in Hollywood since the film came out: #MeToo, super-hero mania, rise of streaming services, etc.

20 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A rollicking good adventure, with great special effects (even if one near the end is a shot-for-shot rip off of ST:II), a suave villain in the shape of Timothy Dalton, and a rousing score. What's not to understand?

For me it's like Hook. Strong music, but it's a movie lacking a little something, it's hard to put the finger on it.

Tropic Thunder apparently was recently trending on Twitter ... the 'woke' generation got wind of Downey Jr's 'blackface' and instead of looking into the context took to Twitter to express their *outrage* :lol: .  

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Tropic Thunder apparently was recently trending on Twitter ... the 'woke' generation got wind of Downey Jr's 'blackface' and instead of looking into the context took to Twitter to express their *outrage* :lol: .  

That should be the plot of the sequel. Downey's character is "canceled" and is not getting any new projects due to his "problematic" past behavior. 

Spirited Away

I don't know how Miyazaki managed to pull off this masterpiece, packing it with gorgeous visuals while keeping Chihiro the central focus. He manages to make a movie about adolescence and growing up in an original story without dumbing it down. Everything comes together beautifully, from the animation to Hisashi's score to the immersive sound design.

One of the best animated films ever made. No one should feel embarrassed watching this without kids present.

I showed it to my kids while they've been off school and they were enchanted. I think it is as magical as The Wizard of Oz. I love how bizarre the movie actually is!

We followed it up with Kiki's Delivery Service the following week, none of us had seen that one before. I dunno, there's a part of me that thinks this is even better than Spirited Away. It is peerlessly charming.

I actually watched Spirited Away (or Chihiro's Voyage, which is the name of the movie here) in theaters when I was 10. My father took me and my brothers to an arthouse cinema that was showing it, and I loved the movie. I certainly remember preferring it to Finding Nemo, which we watched a few days before.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Netflix has licenced a raft of them so we're going to see as many as we can while they're available.

It’s HBO Max here in the USA that has Ghibli streaming rights.

No, the score just drones on without getting too much in the way, just like in most modern blockbusters.

But the way Snyder treated the Superman character, it just doesn’t make sense. Every flashback of his upbringing is pure cringe. Pa Kent seems to want him to lash out, constantly making remarks of questionable morals. The way the Ursula character suddenly starts talking about how they differ in morals without any set up to that conversation whatsoever.

There’s no real “hero moment” in the entire movie.

I guess seeing it now, I do so with less forgiving eyes. And I can’t say I cared for it in the first place.

18 minutes ago, rough cut said:

But the way Snyder treated the Superman character, it just doesn’t make sense.

Example? 

Watched 1917 on UHD last night. My opinion hasn't changed. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it but it tries bit too hard to impress. It's a good movie experience, not a terribly good war film. 

Karol

17 minutes ago, rough cut said:

This can’t be the first time you’ve heard this criticism, is it, there are too many to count, just read this.

https://film.avclub.com/for-better-or-worse-man-of-steel-is-the-exact-superman-1831900927

I'm not a big fan of MOS myself but I appreciate a new approach to the Supes character. No need to endlessly repeat the age-old conventional one. My biggest beef is the skyscraper destruction scene, not because Supes shouldn't destroy the property of people, but because it was like trying to follow a fast moving bouncy ball that's criss-crossing the room.

My issue exactly. I will always appreciate a serious story over a lighthearted one, and the attempt to make Superman fit into that mould was at the very least an admirable attempt.

But then the final fourty minutes come up, and all the pretense of seriousness drops in favour of carnage. In a truly serious film, Superman would have done his utmost to try and take the fight away from human settlements.

The Martian - Matt Damon is currently on lockdown in Dalkey in the Irish Republic, but 5 years ago he was stranded on Mars!

This Ridley Scott-directed sci-fi adventure is very enjoyable, as Damon's botanist puts his knowledge to good use in order to survive while the NASA bods back on Earth scramble to put together a rescue plan. The script has humour and heart, the visuals are often a treat, the effects are impeccable and the likes of Jessica Chastain, Jeff Daniels and Sean Bean (he actually survives this one!) provide sterling support.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Watched 1917 on UHD last night. My opinion hasn't changed. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it but it tries bit too hard to impress. It's a good movie experience, not a terribly good war film. 

Karol

I feel that way about BLADE RUNNER 2049 (except for the "war film" bit :)).

Yeah I think I enjoyed most of Man of Steel right up until the final confrontation between Zod and Supes. It was an ADHD fuelled CGI ejaculation and it was just a really boring way to end the movie. Transformers seemed to set the precedent for that kind of banal SFX climax back then, and then Marvel pretty much ran with it. I'm guessing focus groups of teen boys said that stuff is "badass" or something.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I think I enjoyed most of Man of Steel right up until the final confrontation

As much as I do like the concept of a Superman film being told in a serious fashion, I should add I did have issues with that portion of the film, as well. Snyder's obvious response to tell the story "in a serious fashion" was a) ape the structure of Nolan's Batman Begins and b) film the scenes with hand-held cameras, "documentary-style".

Suffice to say, I'm not a fan of either of those two decisions, and obviously when we reach the climax both are left by the wayside because "we got to blow sh*t up!"

I don’t think a “serious” movie is necessarily better than a “lighthearted” one.

I don’t mind a new approach to Supes either, necessarily.

I think there are lots of interesting ways both to make an interesting story around the Superman (whether serious or lighthearted), and that there could me many new interesting ways you could approach and portrait the character.

But a bad movie, is a bad movie, no matter how much you want to like it.

I put Man Of Steel, Batman V Superman, The Last Jedi and Return Of Skywalker on the same pile of turds of movies that had potential, could have been good, but weren’t.

Not necessarily for the same reason, but there it is.

9 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I put Man Of Steel, Batman V Superman, The Last Jedi and Return Of Skywalker

The Last Jedi really doesn't belong in this category. If nothing else, its a much better executed movie (by which I mean, better shot, rendered, performed, designed) than the others.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's a good movie experience, not a terribly good sci-fi film?

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Martian - Matt Damon is currently on lockdown in Dalkey in the Irish Republic, but 5 years ago he was stranded on Mars!

This Ridley Scott-directed sci-fi adventure is very enjoyable, as Damon's botanist puts his knowledge to good use in order to survive while the NASA bods back on Earth scramble to put together a rescue plan. The script has humour and heart, the visuals are often a treat, the effects are impeccable and the likes of Jessica Chastain, Jeff Daniels and Sean Bean (he actually survives this one!) provide sterling support.

First half: 7/10

Second half: 0/10

Two different movies. First half is a decent Cast Away on Mars. Second half a (even more) poor man's Gravity

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Same with Skyfall (except for the "war film" bit ;)).

Must be that Deakins fella showing off!

Karol