What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

51 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What is the most recent film, with an interval, that people have seen?

Inserting an interval into a long film is one thing, but most 50s/60s epics were made, in fact scripted, with the intermission in mind. Its essentially a similar experience to watching a double feature.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The last one I watched was 2001 a couple of years ago. :)

Karol

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I remember reading somewhere that some showings of Avengers Endgame (182 minutes long) had intervals. If I remember correctly, it happened in Italy, I think.

Edit: yeah, it was in Italy: https://screenrant.com/avengers-endgame-intermission-international/

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The last one I watched was 2001 a couple of years ago. :)

Same. And the newest one The Hateful Eight. Both at the same threatre, in 70mm.

I remember watching THE SOUND OF MUSIC, in 1965. That had an interval.

When I saw 2001, in 1968, 1978, and 2001, it had the overture, entr'acte (in the most "oh, shit!" place), and full end title music.

THE SWARM had an interval, but I think that the cinema put that one in.

THE TOWERING INFERNO had its intermission in the most heart-stopping place, imaginable.

2001 is an example of a movie where the intermission isn't quite so fully integrated into the story as it is with other widescreen epics of the era (which is honestly a good thing since the story kicks-in only just prior to it). There are other films like that, of course: I mean, the intermission in Doctor Zhivago seems rather arbitrarily-placed, which is to say nothing of Once Upon a Time in America.

In 2001, its placed so that the first part ends on a cliffhanger, but when you compare it to, say, Lawrence of Arabia or The Ten Commandments, it doesn't have quite the sense of two separate parts of story. In those films, the first part has its own climax, and second part opens with a new beginning, as if you just sat down to watch a film, rather than having been back from a short break. The second part of Lawrence, in particular, has a distinct pace, tone and style all to its own: Jarre's score gets more sparse, the framing gets tighter, there's none of those glorious shots of the sand dunes - all fitting with the tragic turn in the story.

The Bridge over the River Kwai is actually a great example, where between the two parts we change genre (psychological drama to adventure film), setting (camp to mostly jungle), protagonist (Nicholson to Shears) and antagonist (Saito to Nicholson), and new characters are introduced going into part two, which has its own prolonged beginning. It really is two movies strung together. Heck, Kubrick's own Barry Lyndon has such a thorough two-part seperation that each part actually has its own title! Some films like Cleopatra were actually up for consideration to present the two parts as two separate films.

Dead calm.

Another week, another Nicole Kidman movie. This is the first time I’ve heard her act with an Australian accent. She and Neill are fantastic and Zane is really good, but the script doesn’t give him any interesting lines. Also had no idea Neill was from New Zealand and Zane was unrecognisable at first. I feared the plot summary had given everything away, but it only spoiled the first half. Why did that dog never help Rae anyway? The ending was very original, but the insane speed of the final scene totally kills the drama. In short, a great story told very clumsily.

My first Graeme Revell score (and his first one, for that matter). Rather peculiar music, but also perfectly appropriate. Loved the choral contributions, but the score is too short. Yet again, great sound mix.

Decent 90s (?) thriller, and pretty well remembered by a small cult following. Dismissed by snooty critics at the time, Dead Calm is an effective and very notable thriller: Neill, Kidman, Zane.

13 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

...had no idea Neill was from New Zealand...

Nigel John Dermot Neill was born in Omagh, Northern Ireland. He moved to New Zealand in 1954.

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

Decent 90s (?)...

1989, actually, Lee.

@bollemanneke, if you like Sam Neill, check out his Australian accent in A CRY IN THE DARK.

Also, Kidman is great in BANGKOK HILTON (and so, for that matter, is Denholm Elliott).

Red dragon.

Norton is okay, Hopkins is still fantastic. I really enjoyed the first half and loved the fact that this was a prequel. Emily Watson came as a nice surprise and her versatility still amazes me, but I didn’t like her character that much. But then, the villain turned out not to be interesting either. The finale was awful. Why did it have to end like that?

Danny Elfman’s score is fantastic. I can’t believe this is the guy who composed Batman, Spider-Man and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (To be clear, I did not like those scores.)

Iron Man

Who knew that a kid-friendly franchise started with this pretty violent movie involving terrorism in the Middle East? Tony is even tortured during a scene.

It's not one of MCU's best, but still pretty solid and watchable. Djawadi's rock score is surprisingly effective.

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Marvel isn't a kids' franchise, is it? All the movies are rated 12A in the UK.

Yeah, I wouldn’t say they’re for kids, per se. But they are quite juvenile.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:20 AM, rough cut said:

Surely, this movie takes home the most-f-ed-up-movie-poster-for-a-mainstream-movie-that-I-have-ever-seen award.

B9372927-2900-4810-B86C-547526793F40.jpeg

AAAAARRRGHHHHH, the giant disembodied floating Kidman head is coming for us! 

Election - appalled by the thought of overachieving student Tracy Flick (Reese Witherspoon) winning the high-school student body president election, social studies teacher Jim McAllister (Matthew Broderick) sets out to sabotage her ... and from there things develop into a witty satire on high-school politics/politics in general.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Marvel isn't a kids' franchise, is it? All the movies are rated 12A in the UK.

It's for 12 to 18 year old kids.

And once they are available for home entertainment we can be certain that the Marvel movies are a hit with kids younger than 12. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Enemy

Bizarre, tense, atmospheric. Running time flew by, it ended so unexpectedly for me.

Sicario > Enemy > Arrival

Sicario > Enemy > Blade Runner 2049 > Prisoners > Arrival

... and Arrival is still great!

Thunderbolt And Lightfoot - eh, maybe one of Eastwood's Westerns would've been a better choice for a Sunday afternoon than this road-movie crime caper ... my attention started wandering about halfway through this, and from then it was one eye on the flick and one on my phone.

Spoiler

Let's put it like this ... I had no idea what had happened to bring on Bridges' demise at the movie's end, but its Wiki page has put me straight. 

img_0021.png

The Royal Tenenbaums

An singular yet still accessible auteur statement with little compromise.  I don't completely get Anderson's style, not yet at least, but the way he builds and arranges scenes and the meticulous structure of the script are are all very remarkable. Love how the movie feels like it exists in its own place and time somewhat removed from ours.  Cast gives impressive turns.  

You could say that the movie prizes style over substance, but that would not be fair since there is a lot of substance in what Anderson's characters go through and how it is all resolved.  It's just that Anderson's style is so unapologetically different and visible that it might distract you from the movie's heart if you are not on his wavelength, as it were.

Best part about what he does here is how he manages to make you aware that you are watching a movie, something artificial, and yet still draw you into the world and story as if it were something actually real. I'm not sure that's something any filmmaker other than Anderson can really pull off without pretension.   

3.5/4

The Sixth Sense

I‘ve always thought this was brilliant, but a person in my life is going through something and it got to me, so that this film is about a psychiatrist, about people learning to communicate, about helping people - that got to me in a the most profound of ways, and it genuinely made me feel better.

There’s a wonderful kid performance here, of course, but really all the cast is brilliant, including Bruce Willis. In a career that, following Die Hard, is full of (and dominated by) lousy machismo-filled performances, here he is so quiet, understated, sad - but also funny (that “mind reading” trick of his). Toni Collette is likewise brilliant as a deeply concerned mother.

This script is such an inspired piece of work, one could easily forget how well-directed this is. It’s not really a horror movie, but when it’s trying to be scary, it does so very well by presaging the scare: a closeup of a thermometer going cold is all it takes.

James Newton Howard’s score is the epitome of “unintrusive”. Pretty sure no one came out of a theater in 1999 giving a moment’s notice to the music, which isn’t AT ALL to say that it isn’t effective. I love that the music over the opening credits sells this as a straight-up horror movie.

A perfect little gem of a movie, carved out of the rock with the surest of hands.

Easily a ***** out of *****.

No, I don’t think so. Braveheart has all the heart of a drama like this, but it ALSO has scale and spectacle, and that combination is tough to beat. Same with The Return of the King, which is still my favourite movie.

None of this changes the fact this film moved me very deeply. On the other end of it, I genuinely felt (and am feeling) better. It had the same impact on my soul that medicine has on an ill body, and that is what drama is all about.