What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

6 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Years ago, I could have sworn I was the only person on here who liked it.

Sometimes expectations can put you on the wrong track or make you see things from a wrong perspective. I didn't really like it at first. I was expecting to be utterly shocked (like it probably did in 1926 to those who read the novella) but that didn't happen so I wondered what the big deal was.

Zodiac - gripping, superbly paced David Fincher-directed 'true crime' thriller about the hunt for the titular serial killer who terrorised the San Francisco Bay Area in the late 60s and early 70s (he was an influence on the creation of 'Scorpio' for Dirty Harry).

With Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhaal and Anthony Edwards all on good-to-great form.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Zodiac - gripping, superbly paced David Fincher-directed 'true crime' thriller about the hunt for the titular serial killer who terrorised the San Francisco Bay Area in the late 60s and early 70s (he was an influence on the creation of 'Scorpio' for Dirty Harry).

With Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhaal and Anthony Edwards all on good-to-great form.

Probably my favorite Fincher. The cinematography is excellent. The camerawork slow and calculated, like the murders themselves. 

Too much a repetition of All The President's Men for me to be my favorite Fincher but I liked it. My son switched it off though. Too long-winded, he said. 

I saw Eyes Wide Shut in the theaters in '99 and liked it then, bought it on DVD in college and watched it again and still liked it.  I haven't seen it in 20 years, but I imagine I still would - but who knows

The Quest/Frog Dreaming with Henry Thomas.  Charming movie that I loved as a kid.  It has goofy moments, but it stands up pretty well after all these years.  The composer was clearly told to give it JW-vibes.  

19 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I like the way that it pokes fun at DIRTY HARRY.

It tickles that a screening was organised specially for the SFPD ... 'Hey, here's a movie with a no-nonsense SF cop trailing a killer based on the one you guys are after! Maybe his kick-the-door-in, shoot-em-first-and-ask-questions later approach could be inspirational?'   

Wild.

I knew I was going to enjoy this one before it had even started. I was also surprised to discover that this was my first Reece Witherspoon movie. She’s excellent most of the time. Cliff DeYoung sounded oddly familiar as well, but his name didn’t ring a bell. Laura Dern is incredible and the story is captivating too. The only negative thing I can say is that the flashbacks were somehow too fleeting to fully appreciate.

The songs were very good too. There’s no score and that’s fine most of the time, but when Strayed broke down at the end, I really could have done with some sad music. Instead, we end with a piece that had already been used once or twice before.

9 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It tickles that a screening was organised specially for the SFPD ... 'Hey, here's a movie with a no-nonsense SF cop trailing a killer based on the one you guys are after! Maybe his kick-the-door-in, shoot-em-first-and-ask-questions later approach could be inspirational?'   

"I liked the movie, sir, but did the helicopter have to come in when it did? Couldn't it have just waited a minute?"

Casanova.

Loved it. Sienna Miller was rather annoying at first and for a few minutes it became rather difficult to keep track of all the others after her first appearance. Giovanni was stupid, but the other actors were great.

The score is absolutely fantastic. A few minutes into the movie and I didn’t even care what would happen anymore as long as that baroque music kept playing, mistaken identity jokes or not. Time to read up on the real Casanova.

Desperado - Antonio Banderas' vengeful wandering mariachi arrives in a small Mexican town, looking for the scumbag who killed the woman he loved. Hugely enjoyable actioner with Steve Buscemi, Cheech Marin, a cameoing Tarantino and a smokin' hot Salma Hayek.

Abraham Lincoln : Vampire Hunter - one of America's most notable Presidents was a hunter of the bloodthirsty undead on the side? lol, mmmkay then. Ridiculous-but-passable action-horror with Benjamin Walker, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Dominic Cooper.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Desperado - Antonio Banderas' vengeful wandering mariachi arrives in a small Mexican town, looking for the scumbag who killed the woman he loved. Hugely enjoyable actioner with Steve Buscemi, Cheech Marin, a cameoing Tarantino and a smokin' hot Salma Hayek.

This is such a great film. Love how ridiculous it is. 

Two close to blindly bought cheap blus:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - A lot slower paced than I expected but by the end I really got into it.

Dark Crystal - Really liked it. Great production design, insane puppetwork, and the exact way it treats the classic sprituo-philosophical good-evil dichotomy/coexistence is something I don't think I've seen before - I won't dare say it's unique how

Spoiler

the creatures are 1:1 linked and really are still one entity sharing injuries and death, then at the end reunite into the beings they were split apart from in the first place

but it doesn't seem like something that just got copied or known all over everything. Point is, it could surprise me a bit, and that's good. Sure would have freaked me the hell out as a kid though!

Also the closeness in time and shared company and personal connections between this and RotJ... explain some of my double takes at some elements or visual solutions ;)

12 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

You say ridiculous as if every guitar case doesn't come with machine-gun/RPG-firing ability or something :lol: . 

My favorite is Danny Trejo’s Navajas, which literally translates to “Knives.” He just plays the same character in every Rodriguez film. :lol:

On 6/28/2020 at 3:07 PM, Bespin said:

The beginning of Revenge of the Sith.

I really never saw a more fake looking movie.

Everything is fake in this movie, what a failure!

You started on Sunday afternoon. It's now Tuesday morning. Have you finished it, yet?

11 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

My favorite is Danny Trejo’s Navajas, which literally translates to “Knives.” He just plays the same character in every Rodriguez film. :lol:

The Machete flicks look like they could provide ideal 'Saturday night with booze' viewing funtimes. Should maybe check them out. 

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Machete flicks look like they could provide ideal 'Saturday night with booze' viewing funtimes. Should maybe check them out. 

The first one will fit that bill for you. I have yet to see Machete Kills or Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, but they did not get positive reviews. 

People who willingly pay for any of that shite should go see a doctor. 

I saw The Transporter tonight. Fun, albeit more than formulaic, and the soundtrack is trash. 

16 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The first one will fit that bill for you. I have yet to see Machete Kills or Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, but they did not get positive reviews. 

I've seen the latter ... enjoyed it, then again maybe I was swayed by Eva Green's nude scenes  :lol: .

Orlando

Sally Potter should get more work. This film blurs the line between gender and time but it is so enrapturing. Aleksei Rodionov's cinematography is crisp and clean, complementing Tilda Swinton's gender fluid character.

EditorsPick_Babel_Wind780.jpg

Babel

Why did this get so much hype again? It's executed fine enough, but none of the stories really manage to rise above the melodramatic tropes they hinge on. And conceptually, even at 2006, this must have felt all too familiar, even tired. And Santaolalla won his second Oscar for this?? The two cues (including the Sakamoto piece) that actually stuck out weren't even written for this film!

How this got the pass, and the likes of Johannsson's Arrival got disqualified is seriously beyond me...

Logan - it's a pity in a way that the only decent Wolverine 'solo' movie was the last of them, but such is life. The box-office success of Deadpool convinced Marvel Studios to have a movie with stronger language, more graphic violence and more mature story themes than their usual outings for their heroes and it works brilliantly.

John Wick 3 - I'll just say it, THIS (rather than the increasingly pretentious and confusing Matrix; remains to be seen what the 4th instalment will bring, but after the second and third ... hmm) is the action franchise Keanu Reeves should be remembered for. Exhilarating action choreography, funny, exists in its own 'heightened' version of the world ... an absolute blast.

7 hours ago, KK said:

EditorsPick_Babel_Wind780.jpg

Babel

Why did this get so much hype again? It's executed fine enough, but none of the stories really manage to rise above the melodramatic tropes they hinge on. And conceptually, even at 2006, this must have felt all too familiar, even tired. And Santaolalla won his second Oscar for this?? The two cues (including the Sakamoto piece) that actually stuck out weren't even written for this film!

How this got the pass, and the likes of Johannsson's Arrival got disqualified is seriously beyond me...

The score win was a fluke. Academy didn’t know the Sakamoto piece wasn’t Santaolalla, if I remember correctly. 

That being said, I think the film is fantastic. My favorite Iñárritu after Biutiful

52 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Academy should revise this award and give it to Thomas Newman instead!

I’m trying to find the article I remember reading in 2007 but can’t find it. Essentially the Academy didn’t follow their own rules about pre-existing music usage, nominated the score, and voted for it to win. They even played “Iguazu,” a song Santaolalla wrote in 1997, as the music that plays during the ceremony when the film is mentioned.