What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

14 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Realizing the movie isn’t going to have any action scenes was one of the reasons I switched channels.

Why NOT include war scenes in a American-Civil-War movie?! And by Steven Spielberg, no less? It’s not even that there is no action, it’s that’s such an approach is indicative of the movie’s style and preoccupations: it’s the sort of film that thinks it’s subject matter is so lofty, that having action will somehow taint it, but having people talk in rooms, on the other hand... 

Hence back to “stately, respectable...and dead.”

Spielberg could barely get this film funded and distributed. It was in limbo for the better part of a decade. People talking in rooms can have its own rising action and entertainment value, see Aaron Sorkin.

Now, I have yet to see Lincoln, but another film that broach's the subject is the lovely The Better Angels. Also with no "action."

Its NOT a biopic. Its a period piece that mostly focuses on a single month in Lincoln's life: January 1965. The movie certainly loves reminding us that its a wartime movie, with allusions to fighting happening offscreen and even visits to the battlefield in the aftermath of the fighting. Especially coming from Spielberg, that's just being a tease.

But the issue isn't that there aren't action setpieces (although I would have loved some: I have certain tastes, and naturally I judge films based on my tastes) its that the movie thinks itself as being above having action scenes from the outset, which sets it up as a rather pompous affair.

Now, I can enjoy actionless wartime movies: I liked The Darkest Hour just fine. But with this one I wasn't feeling it. Its still a perfectly okay movie; its just a little dull, and I do think working some action into the story could have spiced it up slightly.

6 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I'd still rather rewatch Lincoln than RP1. At least it's a real movie and I might get a good sleep out of it. 

Yeah but we all know you'll not do anything of the sort and just watch Batman again instead. Because you're a balanced kind of guy who regularly exhibits personal growth and all that.

I've never heard Lincoln described as a bio pic before.  it's not about his whole life, it's just about the end of the Civil War and the ratification of the 13th amendment

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Its NOT a biopic. Its a period piece that mostly focuses on a single month in Lincoln's life: January 1965. The movie certainly loves reminding us that its a wartime movie, with allusions to fighting happening offscreen and even visits to the battlefield in the aftermath of the fighting. Especially coming from Spielberg, that's just being a tease.

But the issue isn't that there aren't action setpieces (although I would have loved some: I have certain tastes, and naturally I judge films based on my tastes) its that the movie thinks itself as being above having action scenes from the outset, which sets it up as a rather pompous affair.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never heard Lincoln described as a bio pic before.  it's not about his whole life, it's just about the end of the Civil War and the ratification of the 13th amendment

Right. That was a general throwaway term to describe these kind of films broadly, and hardly my point. I still don't understand why a film that's primarily interested in Lincoln's motivations and inner conflicts during the end of the Civil War needs to dramatize battles to justify its existence. Isn't that just pointless window dressing? What does it add? I mean at the end of the day, the film is about Lincoln more than the Civil War.

It's like HBO producers asking for more tits and arse in Game of Thrones. I don't know why that suddenly makes a film pretentious. Sounds more like an integrity move on the filmmakers' part, if anything.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I have certain tastes, and naturally I judge films based on my tastes

I think what makes one able to truly judge a movie is the the ability to know when personal tastes are keeping one from seeing real merit.  It is kind of ridiculous to hold every historical picture up to Braveheart or whatever to make your determination on whether or not it is really good.

Lincoln is a bit slow for my tastes too.  But I don't judge its merit based on how it compares to my favorite movies.  

I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly yesterday. It was the first time that I saw the film in a cinema, and in a nice 35mm print as well.

I am happy to see that Sergio Leone's inventive directing still stands the test of time, and the editing is just mind-blowing. Of course, the score by Ennio Morricone is what really connects it all together into an unforgettable experience.

1 hour ago, Biodome said:

I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly yesterday. It was the first time that I saw the film in a cinema, and in a nice 35mm print as well.

I am happy to see that Sergio Leone's inventive directing still stands the test of time, and the editing is just mind-blowing. Of course, the score by Ennio Morricone is what really connects it all together into an unforgettable experience.

Did you see the three hour cut or the two hour forty minutes?

Fyi

I was a bit disappointed the film ignored his role as a double agent, feeding intelligence to the Allies.

I read somewhere that SS filmed the entire book- including the spy stuff- and planned to produce a multi-part mini- series .

Alas, none of it happened. Not even deleted scenes.😞

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Schindler's List 2: More Doing

SCHINDLERS LIST TWO: The Appendix

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess he could still make that mini-series!

Would have...could have..

Not. Gonna. Happen

24 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I read somewhere that SS filmed the entire book - including the spy stuff - and planned to produce a multi - part mini - series .

Alas, none of it happened. Not even deleted scenes.😞

The only SCHINDLER'S LIST deleted scene that I know of, is where Schindler and Goethe play cards for the latter's maid.

SS cut it because he felt it was too much like THE CINCINNATI KID.

Fright Night (1985) - horror comedy in which a high-schooler (a fan of the titular cheesy TV show hosted by ex-movie 'vampire hunter' Peter Vincent, a great turn by Roddy McDowall) becomes convinced that his new next-door neighbour is a bloodsucker and enlists Vincent's help to tackle him.

A bit of silly fun, of which a rewatch made me happily nostalgic for the days of trying to convince the guy in the video store that you were of a sufficient age to rent the movie.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Better throw it in the bin right now - and put it on fire to make sure you can't change your mind.

I decided to go with Ponyo on the Cliff. (talk about a 180 degree turn).

I don't like it as much as other Ghibli films, but I love the animation and the music.

I remember when SS made entertaining films. Its been a long time. He needs to retire.

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I decided to go with Ponyo on the Cliff. (talk about a 180 degree turn).

I don't like it as much as other Ghibli films, but I love the animation and the music.

I really liked it the FIRST time I watched.

Second time I thought it was really lame.

I think that is because the visual splendor ( and music) impressed me.

When I rewatched, I realized the story was really WEAK!

(same reaction to AVATAR)

BTW I have the soundtrack to PONYO. Sale or trade