What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

16 hours ago, AC1 said:

Interstellar

I10.PNG

This tearjerker doesn't work that well because, even though it's entirely based on the concept of 'family', it doesn't really make you feel or experience it. The father/daughter relationship is too shallow to make us truly care. However, Zimmer's sad, pulsating organ does its best to compensate for that. You know what theme I'm talking about, right? What else was good? Well, Matt Damon as a villain. He was able to deliver the often unnatural dialog in a completely natural way. It takes talent to pull off something like that (Hathaway did not fare so well). Damon needed a little more screen time though. Rest me to say that we also get treated to some beautiful shots in space (even though the copy on Prime isn't quite as stellar as I had hoped for). That's it! Everything else is not so good, IMO. That includes whispery McConaughey, crybaby Hathaway, weepy Michael Caine, pointless Casey Affleck, underdeveloped Lithgow, ...  Okay, the design of the robot (TARS) is quite unique so that's a positive too. I would have preferred a more special voice for him/it. Of course, most viewers will love it for the "They are us" revelation at the end of the movie. People are such suckers for story. 5/10

Everything about this film would have elevated with the names Spielberg and Williams attached. 

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Jurassic Park (from a 35mm scan)

Never fails to amaze, terrify and move!

I miss this game-changing Spielberg.

With this and Schindler's list, 1993 was his year.

Yeah.

I used to joke that SCHINDLER was his second best film that year!

6 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Everything about this film would have elevated with the names Spielberg and Williams attached. 

I'm not sure about the inclusion of Williams but Spielberg's impeccable craft and uncanny grasp of filmic storytelling would have at least made for a more competently shaped experience. 

9 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

It was already very weepy and sentimental. I fear with Spielberg it would have been even worse. 

Kind of, yeah.

You wouldn't be sitting with your mates saying "oh, I know, lets put Schindler's List on!"

Its not a movie: its a kind of document. You watch and get on with your life. I saw it twice, and I have no particular desire to see it ever again.

Maybe its different growing up in Israel, where you see in High-school and around Holocaust Memorial Day, and not much else.

I've never spoken to another Israeli who's voluntarily watched Schindler's List. The only reason I watched it a second time (in  many, many years) is to be done with it once and for all.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

You wouldn't be sitting with your mates saying "oh, I know, lets put Schindler's List on!"

Hey mates, let's watch Night And Fog tonight! Who brings the popcorn?

Now for the important question: Is Schindler's List escapism?

6 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

A movie does not need to be something you enjoy revisiting with your friends to be a movie.

There's some fundamental misunderstanding of the art form going on here.

If it's boring, it stops being a movie and becomes a film.

1 hour ago, SteveMc said:

A movie does not need to be something you enjoy revisiting with your friends to be a movie.

No, its just a way to try and explain - to myself as much as anyone else - my way of looking at this particular film.

I see its merits as a movie. I happen to think its sumptously photographed, for instance, and I don't just mean the stark black-and-white. Its got all the affectations of a faux-documentary, but at the same time its somehow very well composed. Obviously its very well performed, too. I like the way its cut together; and the score... I mean, its a good movie. I even like the infamously-melodramatic climax.

But I don't really want to watch it again; and I mean ever. Indeed, most people I know never saw again since high-school when they were made to watch it, and feel no need to change that. When I explain my way of thinking about it, other people in Israel seem to grasp it quite readily.

Again, it might be different in other countries. Here its treated more as a testament than as a movie: like visiting a monument or having a memorial ceremony. Its almost thought of as though it really were a documentary rather than a narrative film, and its very, very hard to tear oneself away from that outlook and truly experience it as a film.

The same is true of other Holocaust films like the Pianist. No thank you: I don't want to watch a single frame of that film ever again. There's just no point to it. For my money, its not a good movie subject.

39 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its got all the affectations of a faux-documentary.

What do you mean by that?

39 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The same is true of other Holocaust films like the Pianist.

I still need to watch that one.

38 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What do you mean by that?

Lots of handheld footage, for one thing.

In fact, Spielberg is on record that the choice to do it black-and-white was becaus he associated the look of the Holocaust with documentaries that presented original footage of its aftermath in black-and-white.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Lots of handheld footage, for one thing.

In fact, Spielberg is on record that the choice to do it black-and-white was becaus he associated the look of the Holocaust with documentaries that presented original footage of its aftermath in black-and-white.

It was a wise choice.

Obviously.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Yeah, I can do without the grovelling reverential canonisation of a commercial Hollywood picture, but I wasn't going to go out of my way to make a point about it. 

Jeez. Tell me about it. As if the Hollywood popcorn flick is the only valid tradition by which all movies should be made... :rolleyes:

d5438e589313fc0036bbc291299c6fd4_700x259

Blue is the Warmest Colour

A long relationship epic that finds most of its power in its two incredible leads. Clearly there was great effort taken to reach the emotional rawness that we see on screen. With that said, it's first act sure takes its sweet time, and the sex scenes are definitely laughably gratuitous. But much of this is forgotten by the time you get to the end (probably due to the film's sheer length). I felt the scope with which the film chooses to examine this relationship could have been larger though.

On 8/22/2020 at 9:59 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

It's a soundtrack for a film.

The 2nd best soundtrack that year by JW

On 8/22/2020 at 3:23 AM, Quintus said:

I'm not sure about the inclusion of Williams but Spielberg's impeccable craft and uncanny grasp of filmic storytelling would have at least made for a more competently shaped experience. 

Williams saved Spielberg but I do not recall it the other way. 

Although I always knew of John Williams, especially from wearing out my Jaws, Superman and Temple of Doom VHS tapes, I don't think I really paid attention fully until the SW '97 SEs. I was more of a Goldsmith fan as a kid.

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

You were A CHILD in 1993?😅

I was one of the few adults sitting in the theatre. It ... felt ... wrong ...

L

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

What are you, like 80?

OUR MAN FLINT 1966

STAR WARS 1977

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Seeing Jurassic Park in the theater is the earliest memory that I have. 

Screenshot_2020-08-09-22-55-39~2.png

There's old audio tapes from the early 80s of me humming the Star Wars, Superman and Indiana Jones themes. But I didn't notice JW's name tying them all together till I read the sleeve notes on the Jurassic Park OST cassette, when I was 16.

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Seeing Jurassic Park in the theater is the earliest memory that I have. 

My earliest is seeing The Secret of NIMH and E. T. in 1987, which ran in East Berlin (for a change). And remarkably, i didn't memorize their main themes but the glitzy impressionist textures and choirs from the former and the Herrmannesque sinister motif from the later.