What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Of course, watching films on the big screen is the best, but sometimes you'll have to wait a very long time if you want to catch a particular film.

That's true. If I feel like I must watch something ASAP, then I just do it at home. That said, in the past couple of years I haven't been in the mindset of "this is a list of films that I want to see; now how do I get my hands on them?", but rather "oh, that's a nice programme for the next month. I guess I'll get tickets to this, and this, and this..."

I've become accustomed to deciding between the limited options presented to me, rather than thinking of my own unlimited options. I feel like in this way, I see many films that I never even knew existed, or films that I would never look for on my own. You never know what to expect, and experiencing it on the big screen is also a bonus.

Used Cars 

Robert Zemeckis' second film is an insane madcap dark comedy that I would call the polar opposite of Back to the Future in terms of representing a view of American consumerism.  Hard to believe both are from the same writers.  I enjoyed it!  The sequence where Gerrit Graham is breaking every "bad luck" taboo he can in the bar is a tour de force comedy sequence, among many in this movie.

Spartacus. A good film even if bit unremarkable by Kubrick's standards. It's quite watchable and I wasn't bored during its 3+ hours of running time. It is definitely competently made. The score by Alex North feels oddly accessible and conventional in context. Why is it that these old epics felt grander than many contemporary films that cost way more to make? They knew how to use the frame and give you a proper big screen experience. I miss that in films. And that is probably Kubrick's weakest film overall.

Karol

The bravados.

It’s so weird how some people in older movies (Joan Collins in this case) all sound superficial, as if they are computers with limited intonation and emotions. Having said that, I liked Kathleen Gallant and Gregory Peck is awesome. The story is good enough and the final twist is amazing.

Most of the score is magnificent, though the ending is senselessly upbeat. Here’s hoping everything has been re-recorded/remastered because such good music should not sound so atrocious. It slows down and speeds up so violently that a lot of it actually sounds off-key. The sound effects and editing are hilarious.

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Spartacus. A good film even if bit unremarkable by Kubrick's standards. It's quite watchable and I wasn't bored during its 3+ hours of running time. It is definitely competently made. The score by Alex North feels oddly accessible and conventional in context. Why is it that these old epics felt grander than many contemporary films that cost way more to make? They knew how to use the frame and give you a proper big screen experience. I miss that in films. And that is probably Kubrick's weakest film overall.

Karol

It is weak, Karol, but look what it compared to :)

It was his last "studio" film, and he was the replacement director. After SPARTACUS, Kubrick insisted on total control of all his films.

The score is magnificent, and, imo, second only to CLEOPATRA.

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Not my Kubrick.

Better than BARRY

Better than EYES

Better than JACKET

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The real shame about Kubrick, is that his entire body of work has been defined by one film, which does not do his other films justice.

LOLITA?

Spartacus is nice. Kubrick shows a real eye for composition and it’s a bit more violent than these epics used to be, which makes it a little more believable.

Kubrick was still getting the hang of orchestrating crowd scenes, though, and while the buildup to the would-be climactic battle is well done, the fighting itself is shockingly short. Ending’s too macabre for me, too.

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

Why is it that these old epics felt grander than many contemporary films that cost way more to make? They knew how to use the frame and give you a proper big screen experience. I miss that in films.

I don’t think those films are necessarily bigger visually (although shooting in Spain and Italy in the sixties was cheap as hell, so one got a lot of bang for one’s buck). Narrativelly, however, they usually told stories that happened over an extended period of time, and used various devices (including a great number of day/night transitions) to support the feeling of it being a long haul.

By contrast, something like the plot of The Two Towers, grand though it may get, only transpires over a couple of days. Gladiator feels like the plot takes maybe a couple of months. Spartacus feels like a couple of years, which is to say nothing of the likes of Gone With the Wind. Even The Godfather takes place throughout an entire decade. 

I think it’s the effect of Jaws, that we don’t accept the pacing of an event movie unless it’s main plot seems to transpire within a couple of weeks at most. There are outliers of course.

7 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

He never directed. good film after CLOCKWORK

They are always good, even the ones that you don't like. Personally I don't like his Douglas vehicles but that doesn't mean they are not good.

8 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Funny, that's exactly what Joe would say. Joe would also not be able to say why it's bad. 

Who the hell is Joe?

And, I could enumerate the many flaws in EYES. But it's old news.

I'd rather talk about how great STRANGELOVE is!😊

On 9/18/2020 at 4:23 PM, Jay said:

I've never seen Zemeckis's pre-BTTF films and reading Stu's write-ups of them makes me want to check them out :)

Watching Romancing the Stone tonight!  I did see that one as a teen, but not since.  My wife and I are going through the entire Zemeckis filmography, following along with the Blank Check podcast one week at a time.  The way it times out, we’ll even be seeing the two Christmas movies in December.

I HIGHLY recommend Zemeckis’ pre BTTF films.  This was when he and Gale were 100% comedy filmmakers, the era that includes 1941.  Watching an outrageous raunchy comedy like Used Cars, well, we’re a long way from Forrest Gump, that’s for sure.  Zemeckis is pretty underrated as a great comedy director, but I think that’s exactly what he is, first and foremost.

On 9/18/2020 at 6:51 AM, Disco Stu said:

Used Cars 

Robert Zemeckis' second film is an insane madcap dark comedy that I would call the polar opposite of Back to the Future in terms of representing a view of American consumerism.  Hard to believe both are from the same writers.  I enjoyed it!  The sequence where Gerrit Graham is breaking every "bad luck" taboo he can in the bar is a tour de force comedy sequence, among many in this movie.

" ZOOM IN! ZOOM IN!"

😆

Full Metal Jacket. It is actually the first time I managed to watch it until the end. Tried many times before but always stopped after the first segment. It's an interesting film, mainly in the first and last acts, but still doesn't feel like it lives up to Kubrick's legacy for some reason. There's nothing wrong with it and I get its slightly different angle but there's something missing. Can't quite explain what it might be.

Karol

Romancing the Stone

It’s a fun romp, well-paced with exciting sequences and humor.  But I think this is the least of Zemeckis’ 3 pre-BTTF movies, despite being his first box office hit.  I get Zemeckis in the perfect balance of tones, the economical storytelling, the fast pace, and the general feeling of fun, but it’s more of a generic 80s studio flick in a lot of ways.  It doesn’t feel as personal as his other movies from the period, which makes sense since this is the first one he didn’t write with Bob Gale.

But I do recommend seeing it!

Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey - a double bill (and ted) last night ahead of seeing Face The Music today.

Still a pair of goofily fun, good-hearted sci-fi comedies (and central characters). I hear Face The Music is more of the same :)

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Dead Zone - well, this certainly held up better on a rewatch than the other King adap from the same period that I saw recently did (Christine).  

Wasn't FIRESTARTER from around then, as well?

51ygT7syz7L._AC_.jpg

After a second viewing, the film loses half a star. After all, it is just a story movie with an occasional superfluous, almost insulting voiceover and some very questionable, even ridiculous moments, such as using a child with skates as a weapon or projecting an injection needle with the mouth. It's a good concept though and I'm surprised there isn't a Limitless Part Deux. It's basically a superhero movie. 6/10