What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Yea I was gonna say, they didn't do a sequl in movie form, but in TV form - Bradley Cooper even reprised his character in it

Kill Bill 1.

I didn’t like Vivica Fox and Lucy Liu only grew on me during the finale. David Carradine was pretty good. Other than that, it was just too much. Too much blood was spilt over the course of this movie and some scenes were overly theatrical. As a result, I hardly cared about or sympathised with the bride at the end. I don’t know when I’ll watch the sequel, but I’m not really in a hurry.

Most of the music was excellent.

Bolle will agree. These are 2 different movies. The first one is purely visually driven, while Vol. 2 depends more on story and dialog. At first, I too thought Vol. 2 was the better part, but after rewatching both movies, I have to say I prefer Vol. 1.  

Yep, it's that time of the year again!

39 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Bolle will agree. These are 2 different movies. The first one is purely visually driven, while Vol. 2 depends more on story and dialog. At first, I too thought Vol. 2 was the better part, but after rewatching both movies, I have to say I prefer Vol. 1.  

I remember two or three great scenes.

Thurman punching her way out of the coffin.

Thurman escaping from the hospital.

Thurman trying to eat rice with battered fingers.

The rest? Ugh

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Vol. 1 was a riot, at least at the cinema. Vol. 2 I always cite as being one of the worst movies I've ever seen. 

I recall having a lot of fun with the first one, and finding the second a real let-down ... slow and dull. 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

One of the worst, not THE worst. Robin Hood: Men in Tights probably takes that crown. 

I actually find Men in Tights and Dracula: Dead and Loving far funnier than other Mel Brooks movies like Spaceballs

Of the ones of his I've seen, I sure found Spaceballs the least funny. He doesn't really get it and even when a good joke comes through, the timing ruins it.

p12514_v_v8_aa.jpg

I had no patience for it this time. I did like some things about it when I was still in my prime, but watching a character telling a story for 5 or 6 minutes?! Pass!

vlcsnap-2013-06-03-12h12m08s29.png

23 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I had no patience for it this time. I did like some things about it when I was still in my prime, but watching a character telling a story for 5 or 6 minutes?! Pass!

How...European

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

Yup. Vol. 1 plays much better over time.

I don't really get the point in watching Vol 1 and then never watching Vol 2

He conceived it as one movie, he shot it as one movie, he began post-production on it as 1 movie, then Weinstein convinced him to split it into 2 movies and he did.

When he shows it in the movie theaters he owns, he shows it as a single movie again

Avengers: Age of Ultron

I don't think I've really seen this movie in full until today. Now I know why.

Storytelling, it's cluttered and lazy at the same time. Joss Whedon lost what made his previous entry enjoyable (the streamlined narrative and the freshness of the superhero crossover) and doubling down on quips and overly busy action sequences. The 'long take' action sequence that opens the movie is more contrived and eye-rolling than anything. James Spader, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Thomas Kretschmann and Claudia Kim are wasted here. It's good that Whedon exited Marvel when he did because the Russo Brothers did a much better job with the following two sequels. 

And musically, Ultron is just as problematic. Silvestri's music is tracked throughout the film, vying with Brian Tyler's score plus Elfman's replacement cues. I don't know if Whedon was at fault or whether the music budget was at the mercy of Isaac Perlman's penny pinching at the time.

28 minutes ago, Matt C said:

And musically, Ultron is just as problematic. Silvestri's music is tracked throughout the film, vying with Brian Tyler's score plus Elfman's replacement cues. I don't know if Whedon was at fault or whether the music budget was at the mercy of Isaac Perlman's penny pinching at the time.

Problematic? The score in AoU is an utter disaster. Firstly, neither Elfman or Tyler weren't exactly inspired when they scored this film (Tyler did a much more enjoyable score on the previous year for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). Secondly, bits and pieces from Silvestri, Tyler and Elfman are mercilessly splattered all over the movie, with little coherence. 

It's probably the worst scored billion dollar grossing movie ever made. 

12 hours ago, AC1 said:

p12514_v_v8_aa.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-03-12h12m08s29.png

Beyond bad.

Probably the worst WTF ? ending of all time-

12 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Vol 2 has more ASMR moments.

Translation please?

Time Bandits - almost 40 years on Terry Gilliam's inventive, surreal and very funny fantasy is still an utter, utter delight ... it's a family film sure, but it's shot through with Python's irreverent spirit (only heightened by John Cleese and Michael Palin being in it). Available on All4 until October 2nd, for those of us in the UK.

The Witches Of Eastwick - wickedly funny comic fantasy with Cher, Susan Sarandon and Michelle Pfeiffer as bored single women in the titular small New England town who one drunken night perform a ritual to bring a man into their lives and end up unwittingly summoning the Devil himself (played to the absolute hilt by Jack Nicholson ... this and the Joker are probably the two most perfect casting decisions of his career). Shame about the descent into OTT SFX at the climax, but the rest is so much fun overall it can be forgiven. Oh, and the score is by some guy called John Williams ... whatever happened to him? :lol:

10 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Jack Nicholson ... this and the Joker are probably the two most perfect casting decisions of his career

Sweep, don't forget Randall P. McMurphy. Impeccable casting.

The score currently resides at #5 on my all-time top-ten JW list. THE SEDUCTION OF SUKI AND THE BALLROOM SCENE is one of my top-five JW tracks.

The suit who decided to replace it with Tourandot  should have been shot immediately.

TIME BANDITS speaks for itself. It's still an absolute delight. Who knew David Warner could do comedy?

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It's probably the worst scored billion dollar grossing movie ever made. 

You're probably right on that.

I don't know why Marvel didn't bite the bullet and ask Silvestri back. Brian Tyler was a Ike Perlmutter budget decision, Whedon wanted Elfman (hence them working on Justice League) and the studio wanted continuity by tracking in Silvestri's music everywhere.

It's so sloppy. It makes the mess on Spider-Man 3 look quaint by comparison.

I remember reading somewhere that someone inside Marvel really liked Tyler's Iron Man 3 and The Dark World, and decided to give him an Avengers movie. Tyler scored the whole movie, but people still weren't satisfied (and rightfully so, the score is pretty weak), so they called Elfman.

This whole mess could've been avoided if they just asked Silvestri back.

Dumb And Dumber - there are doubtless people who would not laugh at a blind kid being sold a decapitated parakeet with its head sellotaped back on. I, however, am not one of those people :lol: .

Their early stuff reminds me of what Jimmy Carr said about his stand-up ... 'These aren't my opinions, they're just jokes. I'm only trying to make you laugh ... if you leave here thinking you've learned anything, something's gone horribly wrong'. 

Only ever saw that first one, think I thought it was OK. Still one more than I've seen of the similarly themed sparkly-vampires-too-fucking-wussy-to-feed-off-humans saga. 

34c783b5-6aa2-4019-839b-8fa7a41fbb6d.jpg

What happened to the Cameron Crowe who made this movie? At the time, it seemed he was going places. I managed to watch it in one take, even though the running time is 161 minutes. 7/10

f863895bcebaf2d17c39baafce8d577a.png

Almost Famous was a very important movie for me.  It was the right coming-of-age story to come out right when I was coming of age.  One of the DVDs I really wore out when I was 13-15 years old.  It's also why I spent much of my adolescence super into music from the 60s and 70s.

Panic Room - Jodie Foster and her daughter (a young Kristen Stewart) move into their new Manhattan townhouse, and soon afterwards 3 burglars (Forest Whittaker, Jared Leto and Dwight Yoakam) break in in order to steal a small fortune they believe to be somewhere within the house. Foster and Stewart hole up in the titular room, and start to fight back.

Some of David Fincher's directorial flourishes and a darker-than-usual script help to elevate this above the standard 'home invasion' thriller.