What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Does Florence Pugh get nekkid in Midsommar? That might swing it for me :drool:.

The Naked Gun - what do you do when your parody of police procedural shows (Police Squad!) is cancelled after one season? Well ... if you're Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker, you take it and turn it into 3 hit movies instead.

While this first of the three doesn't quite manage the gag rate of ZAZ's Airplane, it's still pretty damn funny.

Jaws (1975) in 4K UHD HDR.

Rewatched just to check out how the 4K master looks. And it looks great for a film of its age. The HDR is tastefully, and lightly done. The lighting problems in the Orca cabin during the Indiapolis scene are sorted out.

But something occured to me watching this time that somehow escaped me the thousand times I've seen this film before (or maybe I did notice it before, but forgot).  What happened to Ben Gardner's boat & bloated head? Why didn't Chiefy & Mr. Hooper show Gardner's severed head and chewed up boat as proof they still have a shark problem to the Mayor instead of going on and on about a shot glass sized tooth they don't even have? Spielberg's a hack.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Why didn't Chiefy & Mr. Hooper show Gardner's severed head and chewed up boat as proof they still have a shark problem to the Mayor instead of going on and on about a tooth they don't even have?

Would you want to go back down, and retrieve a tooth and a severed head, knowing there's a shark around?

The word of an expert, and the chief of police should have been enough for Mr. Mayor.

Unfortunately...

42 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Would you want to go back down, and retrieve a tooth and a severed head, knowing there's a shark around?

The word of an expert, and the chief of police should have been enough for Mr. Mayor.

Unfortunately...

Yeah but they still said they were towing the boat in, so at least they'd have that. Sounds to me like someone needs to be hung up by their Buster Browns!

8 hours ago, Romão said:

Everything is weird, from the tone, to the performances...even the score. It's certainly unique

I think whenever Boorman does genre - horror with this, sci-fi with Zardoz and fantasy with Excalibur - he’s tempted to (because of the fantastical elements) give the thing a surreal quality.

Now, I don’t like surrealism as the overall approach for a movie. I can have surreal sequences IN a movie, but not as the whole movie. It does nothing but put a buffer between the audience and what’s happening on screen.

Couldn’t care less about “unique”.

Similarly, I don't like 'magic realism' ... it just smacks of being half-assed, of being too lazy to pick a genre. Really didn't like Birdman, for example. 

Force Majeure - darkly funny Swedish drama in which 'faultlines' open up in a family on holiday at a French ski resort when the father prioritises his own safety over that of his wife and kids during a suspected avalanche.

I understand there was a tepid US remake entitled 'Downhill' with Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus released earlier this year.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Couldn’t care less about “unique”.

Why not? It's what sets something apart from 'common' or what you have seen and felt a million times before. 

Which is 'sameness'? I don't hear you complaining about that. 

The reason why I fell asleep during the first Disney Star Wars is overfamiliarity. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Similarly, I don't like 'magic realism' ... it just smacks of being half-assed, of being too lazy to pick a genre. Really didn't like Birdman, for example. 

What about Big Fish? Amelie? Groundhog Day? Donnie Darko? You guys hate these movies?  

Exorcist II has 14% and 13% on Rotten Tomatos. I mean, that's, uuuh... 

I laughed my ass off when father Lamont was hallucinating about confronting a guy in a giant cricket costume, to end the hallucination in a cricket laboratory out of the blue. 

23 hours ago, AC1 said:

Which is 'sameness'? I don't hear you complaining about that. 

The reason why I fell asleep during the first Disney Star Wars is overfamiliarity. 

What about Big Fish? Amelie? Groundhog Day? Donnie Darko? You guys hate these movies?  

Ah well, in fairness Groundhog Day I like a lot. 

On 10/10/2020 at 9:56 AM, AC1 said:

Hereditary, yes, but Midsommar is almost more a kind of dark comedy with horror elements, just like Jordan Peele's Us.

Hereditary was funny, unintentional perhaps, but funny none the less. 

The fabulous baker boys.

It was kind of weird to watch something directed and written by the guy who helped develop the film series that defined my childhood. The younger Jeff Bridges was interesting too, but I just couldn’t get his Marvel character out of my head at first, though he is excellent here. Jennifer Tilly and Michelle Pfeiffer were great, but I expected her to sing a little… different? The first half was good enough and Jack was a pretty interesting character until he suddenly started being an asshole to Susie without any warning. Then the brothers fighting somehow made me loose sympathy for both of them and I feel kind of let down by the ending, even though they kind of hinted that things would become the way I wanted them to be.

I’ve never liked jazz music. Having said that, some cues I really loved, like the one playing when Jack and Susie were taking turns going to the bathroom, but then, when Jack and Susie finally had their first kiss, the beautiful chords kept being ruined by horrible jazz chords.

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

... the beautiful chords kept being ruined by horrible jazz chords.

What an odd thing to say for a John Williams fan, for Jazz has been a considerable influence in Williams' music.

@PuhgreÞiviÞm

Jerry, he was never Tron. Bruce Boxleitner was Alan Bradley/Tron. Bridges was Flynn/CLU.

2 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Jazz is one of the very best musical forms to listen to on a hi-fi system.

Yes, I know. FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS is brilliant!

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

He'll always be Jake Rumsey.

bad+company+bridges.jpg

So stylish!

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Not to me.

I've never met anyone who thinks Jazz is poorly recorded. Would you like to explain what they are doing wrong? 

Pitch Black - visually striking sci-fi action-horror that was the first (and probably best) outing for Vin Diesel's gravelly badass Riddick.

Starship Troopers - Paul Verhoeven gleefully sends up the alleged fascist overtones of Robert Heinlein's source novel whilst also delivering everything you'd want from a sci-fi actioner.

Die Hard

Good action, directing and editing, looks nice, great fitting performances, good script with a surprising amount of what seems like worldbuilding fluff coming back later with payoffs and an engaging game of different characters having access to different amounts of information and slowly piecing stuff together, good score with good action pieces, fun offkilter sleighbell rythms and freaking An Die Freude as a villain theme (too bad the score doesn't hold up very well on its own), William Atherton getting punched in the face... What more do you want for a great action flick?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Good action, directing and editing, looks nice, great fitting performances, good script with a surprising amount of what seems like worldbuilding fluff coming back later with payoffs and an engaging game of different characters having access to different amounts of information and slowly piecing stuff together, good score with good action pieces, fun offkilter sleighbell rythms and freaking An Die Freude as a villain theme (too bad it doesn't hold up on its own), William Atherton getting punched in the face... What more do you want for a great action flick?

You forgot the most important thing, and you watched it two months too early.

Goddammit I knew that was the one thing people were going to bring up! I should have written it in!

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You forgot the most important thing, and you watched it two months too early.