What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, KK said:

barton%20fink%20fire.jpg

Barton Fink

Well-made, sumptuously shot, some great writing and yet it feels sort of empty. Like visual motifs and compelling ideas strung together without a real internal logic. I like it, though I'm not entirely sure I'm convinced by it.

I immediately thought that it's a masterpiece.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Well, it's Coen brothers, so you get everything except meaningful depth. It's probably one of my favorite Coen movies and when I heard David Fincher is making a movie about a Hollywood scriptwriter, I immediately thought of Barton Fink.

Yea that's fair. I think when the Coens aim for the "cerebral" they sometimes expose the empty air underneath their clever gestures, whereas their genre films serve as better playgrounds.

I doubt Fincher's Mank will be as interesting though. Probably more of a straight but stylized biopic of sorts.

As good as it gets.

Jack Nicholson is just great, but his character changes a little too quickly. This is my first Yeardley Smith movie too. The sentimental stuff got tiring after a while, though. I was going to write I was happy they didn’t have to have the typical dramatic break-up, but then of course that’s exactly what happened. Okay, they love each other. Final sickening speech: check. Glad that’s done.

The score is really very nice. What happened to Zimmer in the 2000s? I just don’t get it, the guy is clearly extremely talented.

91hJ59qs2pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Clint is getting too old.  Dianne Wiest's part is meant to capture the viewer's heart but it's so sentimental that it becomes irritating. Bradley Cooper is too nice and glamorous to be a cop. Despite all that, it's watchable. A missed opportunity. 4/10

91zK849UhRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The actor who plays White Boy Rick has absolutely no charisma and the movie tries too hard to be serious and gloomy. McConaughey as the father feels contrived. 4/10

Last Action Hero - this fantasy-tinged action-comedy delivers all the shootouts, explosions etc. you'd expect from the Austrian Oak whilst also spoofing the genre and Arnie's image into the bargain. A possibly unfairly overlooked Schwarzenegger flick.

Highlander - the rest of this action-fantasy franchise is pretty shoddy, but the first film remains deeply entertaining. Not least due to a fine guest turn from Sean Connery, a cracking baddie in Clancy Brown's Kurgan and a Queen-heavy soundtrack.

Red Sparrow - sombre and overlong spy thriller, with Jennifer Lawrence as an ex-Bolshoi dancer training in 'sexpionage' in order to 'honeytrap' a CIA operative. Occasionally enlivened by nudity from J-Law and sporadic bursts of violence.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Highlander - the rest of this action-fantasy franchise is pretty shoddy, but the first film remains deeply entertaining. Not least due to a fine guest turn from Sean Connery, a cracking baddie in Clancy Brown's Kurgan and a Queen-heavy soundtrack.

This is one of my favourite films, ever! I saw it in London, in September, 1986, and it was one of two films which made me fall in love with all things Scotland. I owe this (and LOCAL HERO) a very large personal debt.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@AC1

Any film that has Eddie Marsan, Bruce Dern, and Piper Laurie, is worth watching...isn't it..?

OTOH, Bruce Dern is always Bruce Dern. It's a small role though.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

This is one of my favourite films, ever! I saw it in London, in September, 1986, and it was one of two films which made me fall in love with all things Scotland. I owe this (and LOCAL HERO) a very large personal debt.

Highlander 2 was one of the worst movies of the '90s.

highlanderii4.jpg

There was a Director's Cut released onto VHS in the mid 90s and a Special Edition DVD in the mid 00s of the sequel. I guess you can't blame Mulcahy for wanting to save face, but as the third film ignored the second anyway ...    

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

There was a Director's Cut released onto VHS in the mid 90s and a Special Edition DVD in the mid 00s of the sequel. I guess you can't blame Mulcahy for wanting to save face, but as the third film ignored the second anyway ...    

I've never seen the Renegade Cut of HIGHLANDER II, but I've heard that it's much better than the TV.

The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions

Both are problematic, but not as bad as everyone says. At the very least the action sequences are still great and the script has some impressive bold ideas (like the fact that The One is just a tool of the Machines).

Don Davis' score for the whole trilogy is simply terrific. I'll be very pissed if he doesn't return for the fourth movie.

I watched The Animatrix as well. The Second Reinassance is my second favorite piece of media of this franchise (after the first movie) and it's only 15 minutes long. A masterpiece of animation.

Bettie Page Reveals All

An entertaining documentary about the titular pinup queen and her influence on glamour and sexuality. And yes, plenty of her nudie shots are sprinkled throughout.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

The script has some vaguely intriguing plot elements, but a SyFy level of quality (the Dino auction is cringey). Again, J.A. Bayona’s direction is terrific (and imbues some suspense), Giacchino’s score is fun and the VFX looks great. But Trevorrow wrote himself into a corner, one that Dominion will have a hard time coming out of. Even with Alan, Ellie and Ian back for the ride.

23 hours ago, Quintus said:

They could actually reboot Highlander now and I think there'd be an audience for it. Bearing in mind only the first film is sacred (with fans of the franchise). 

A reboot was meant to be in the works, no idea if it still is.

17 hours ago, Matt C said:

The script has some vaguely intriguing plot elements, but a SyFy level of quality (the Dino auction is cringey). Again, J.A. Bayona’s direction is terrific

Ah yes, the one with militarizing dinosaurs. What a hoot! One of the characters pitches a dinosaur as being a "living tank" only for me to think: y'know, I'd think I'll just take a tank: it shoot things and you don't have to ride ontop of it.

Another case of a director bringing their A-game to a Z-grade script.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Another case of a director bringing their A-game to a Z-grade script.

If Jurassic World: Dominion is closer to Battle at Big Rock than Fallen Kingdom, I'll take it.

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

FALLEN KINGDOM was the worst film of the year.

So bad it killed a great franchise.

It was terrible, but I consider the second worst movie of 2018. Crimes of Grindelwald was released that same year and somehow it managed to be even shittier than JWFK.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It was terrible, but I consider the second worst movie of 2018. Crimes of Grindelwald was released that same year and somehow it managed to be even shittier than JWFK.

Hmm...

They're bad in different ways. Crimes of Grindelwald plays like a stream-of-consciousness of unorganized plot-points and characters on the part of JK Rowling. Fallen Kingdom is less scattered, but dumber.

Both films are handsomely mounted by their respective directors, though.

An 'alien nasties' double bill last night.

Life - the International Space Station intercepts an unmanned probe (returning to Earth orbit from Mars) containing soil samples which potentially contain evidence of extraterrestrial life. This turns out to be a bad idea ...

An efficient enough sci-fi horror with Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Reynolds and Rebecca Ferguson.

Aliens (Special Edition) - I dig this version of James Cameron's sci-fi action classic, but when it takes 73 minutes for the first xenomorph to appear you can understand why the 'theatrical cut' was the one they went with for the initial release.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Aliens (Special Edition) - I dig this version of James Cameron's sci-fi action classic, but when it takes 73 minutes for the first xenomorph to appear you can understand why the 'theatrical cut' was the one they went with for the initial release.

Quite right, Sweep. We really don't need all that mom-and-pop/derelict stuff, and I'd argue that Ripley doesn't need a backstory to highlight her maternal instincts, for Newt.

It is, however, what Cameron always wanted us to see: "forty miles of bad road", and it's a fantastic ride.

It's better to have 74 minutes of frightful anticipation than constantly inundating the audience with xenomorphs. The fear of the unknown is the strongest fear.

But then the SE turns around and does just that with the sentry gun scene for example, which even dumbs them down significantly.

Pace is everything and everything added by the DC is redundant, even if the century gun scene is actually quite effective in the way it slots in. But the theatrical already had that kind of thing well covered. 

Ridley Scott has stated many times that he already had final cut in 1979, the later edition is just a new cut that was given the name "Director's Cut" for marketing purposes

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hmm. Interesting. The only three major scenes from the DC that I can recall are: the message, Lambert slapping Ripley, and the cocoon scene.

So...with all that new footage, what was cut?

Showing which scenes were longer in the TC: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1385

Showing which scenes are different/new for the DC: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1384