What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Last time I watched Alien, I gave the DC another chance (I'd seen it once when the DVD came out and found it pointless, and with the Dallas cocoon scene being repeated in the sequels also redundant), I found it surprisingly suspenseless and somewhat hurried. As if the final stroboscope sequence was shortened too much with the new edits. (I didn't know until reading up on it after watching that the newer version was actually shortened).

But apparently the 4K release has yet a newer version of the DC, this time without the cocoon scene.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The Alien Director's Cut on the BluRay is actually 6 minutes shorter than the theatrical. Did Fox make Ridley put stuff back IN at the time? :lol:  

The Theatrical version is 117 minutes and the Director's Cut is 116 minutes. The latter has scenes added but also existing scenes shortened.

13 hours ago, Holko said:

But then the SE turns around and does just that with the sentry gun scene for example, which even dumbs them down significantly.

It's when Cameron invented the shoot 'em up video game genre. ;)

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea I dunno where Sweep got 6 minutes from, the DC is 47 seconds shorter than the TC

I have the 'Alien Anthology' BluRay boxset from 2012. The running times given for Alien on the disc's sleeve insert is 116 minutes for the Theatrical Version and 110 minutes for the Director's Cut, which the sleeve says is from 2003.   

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I have the 'Alien Anthology' BluRay boxset from 2012. The running times given for Alien on the disc's sleeve insert is 116 minutes for the Theatrical Version and 110 minutes for the Director's Cut, which the sleeve says is from 2003.   

That's not what IMDb says:

Runtime: 117 min (1979 Theatrical Version) | 116 min (2003 Director's Cut)

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

18 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The Theatrical version is 117 minutes and the Director's Cut is 116 minutes. The latter has scenes added but also existing scenes shortened.

Sweep, all you have to do is to put each cut of the film in you Blu Ray player, skip to the bit where it says "Dolby Stereo", and make a note of the running time. Sorted :)

Taken.

I was going to say ‘it’s time to re-watch violent crap’, but then discovered there was actually some depth to it. Maggie Grace is great. Holly Valance is annoying. I still love the kidnapping scene, but that translator really didn’t do a good job. It’s simplistic and far-fetched and the final scene should never have been included, but it’s also incredibly entertaining. I need to watch the sequels.

The score opened with some great cues too, before all the pounding I remembered happened. It was all personal to me.

10 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Must be a typo on the packaging

Elizabeth.

Wow, I had forgotten the beginning was so intense. God, they really were crazy back then. All the actors are fantastic, but I’ve still seen Cate Blanchett in too much. I also think the movie doesn’t really explain the whole religious debate or why the bishops ended up voting for the Act of Uniformity very well. All I’m supposed to do is find Elizabeth an awesome woman without giving it too much thought. The second half is too long too: the ending could have been way less cheesy and that Spanish ambassador really had way too much screen time.

The score is great. Fantastic love theme, but the amount of scores that contain the words ‘kyrie eleison’ is becoming rather tiring. I did love the period music, but lots of the vocal stuff sounds very sloppy here as opposed to on the album. I also suppose you could argue they shouldn’t have used Elgar and Mozart at the end. It’s not that it doesn’t work, it’s just historically accurate. Now here’s one LLL could do.

What was it I heard said of this film? Something along the lines of “I couldn’t see it, I was too busy rolling my eyes at it.”

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

dc2325c4e147a329c6e7951d9941cb1a.jpg

First time I watched a Claire Denis film, and it will be my last, that includes her movies of the future and her movies of the past. 

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

What was it I heard said of this film? Something along the lines of “I couldn’t see it, I was too busy rolling my eyes at it.”

I don't know if it was due to the mumbling of the non-characters, the calming spaceship sounds, or the flashback structure, but I had a hard time staying awake with this movie. I'm also not a fan of animalistic erotica. 

I did not enjoy High Life very much at all. It was stuck way up it’s own ass.

But White Material with Isabelle Huppert is excellent! 

15 hours ago, AC1 said:

And what a weird aspect ratio this movie has:

Surely you're joking? 1.66:1 has been one of the most common aspect ratios in European films since the mid-20th Century! You've definitely seen lots of them. There are a lot of recent American examples too.

4 hours ago, KK said:

But White Material with Isabelle Huppert is excellent! 

Have you seen 35 Shots of Rum?

5 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Have you seen 35 Shots of Rum?

I have not! But it's on the list. As is Chocolat and Beau Travail

13 minutes ago, KK said:

As is Chocolat and Beau Travail

Yeah, Beau travailWhite Material and 35 Shots of Rum are the three that I've found most effective. Especially the latter, which is also the least convoluted, most chilled-out and mellow of the bunch (a modern take on Ozu's Late Spring). I don't think I've seen any of her earlier films, and have never managed to get hold of The Intruder. Even the less memorable films are usually a pleasure just to look at for reasons that I don't find easy to describe; something about the rhythm of the images.

A Simple Favour - 'mommy vlogger' Anna Kendrick begins an unlikely friendship with fashion company PR Blake Lively. When the latter disappears, the former becomes determined to find out what happened.

This blackly amusing mystery possibly overdoes the twisty-turny stuff towards the end, but overall I'd say it's the Paul Feig movie I've enjoyed the most to date.

19 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I believe she’s the director spotlight of The Criterion Channel this month. Some of her films should be on there. 

Yes. There's a collection of 6 of her films on there. I intend to go through them sometime this month!

A loosely-themed (making a sound could be your undoing) 'creature feature' double-bill last night.

Tremors - when massive underground-dwelling 'sandworms' attack a small Nevada town, it's down to handymen Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon to rally the townsfolk to defend the place. A hoot, with enjoyably pre-CGI beasties.

A Quiet Place - Earth has become over-run with sightless monsters who hunt by sound, so John Krasinski and Emily Blunt are doing everything possible to keep themselves and their kids safe (a shocking opening reveals why they might be especially motivated to do so).

A very good sci-fi horror suspenser. Just hope the Covid-delayed-release sequel doesn't blow it.

That's one of those films where I saw it and liked it and thought it told a complete story and no sequel was necessary. The trailer that eventually came out for II did not change that opinion, and the news that's a part III is already on the works leads me to only feel that they are taking a cool one-off idea and running it into the ground. 

But we'll see, maybe II will be worthwhile!