What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Alan Grant gave me the best line ever to use when people nag me as to why I haven't had kids yet.

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I know what Drax is getting at with Spielberg's familial baggage.

I mean how bad could he have had it while growing up that he felt the need to inject it into 20+ movies? Whether it was the usual daddy issues rah rah or domestic family spats where no-one understands the weirdo being weird. It's not like he grew up in poverty and struggled to survive. He sounds like a spoilt brat biting back at his his daddy for not buying him that pony when he turned sweet sixteeeeen.

Oh yeah, maybe. But this guy... this guy... it might have been fine in one or two movies, but he's just relentless about depicting and recycling this shit over and over. Like, get over your sob story, grow a pair and stop being such a pussy!

I have to mute it during those scenes because I can't stand Elliot and Drew's high pitch squealing and shrieking. Heaven help anyone who actually lives with noisy pests like that.

The family scenes in Poltergeist are nicer and friendlier.

Wha'?!

I don't understand this Luddite attitude, especially from JWfaners.

As early as 1984, Spielberg started to move away from "kiddie-centric" flicks, and to start to introduce far more stronger male (one could argue "paternal") figures, in his films. He also made it up, with his pa, so that went some way to dispel the notion that he was anti-male.

I disagree with (insert your name, here) about WAR OF THE WORLDS. The early scenes are wonderfully economical is setting up the family dynamic. "Confusing handshake?", "That's not how you're going to get through to him", turning the baseball cap 180° are all fine examples of the fractured relationship that the three principals have, with each other.

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

about WAR OF THE WORLDS. The early scenes are wonderfully economical is setting up the family dynamic. "Confusing handshake?", "That's not how you're going to get through to him", turning the baseball cap 180° are all fine examples of the fractured relationship that the three principals have, with each other.

YES! It's also refreshing that we don't think "boy, how did these two ever even get together, let alone have two kids", Otto and Cruise still have visible chemistry in the very little screentime they share.

The relationship between Hanks and Rylance in Bridge of Spies is the only convincing, un-perfunctory Spielberg try at building an interesting and/or convincing human relationship in recent times (the same goes for Hanks and DiCaprio). 

2 hours ago, publicist said:

The relationship between Hanks and Rylance in Bridge of Spies is the only convincing, un-perfunctory Spielberg try at building an interesting and/or convincing human relationship in recent times (the same goes for Hanks and DiCaprio). 

THAT'S what I should watch this weekend. Still haven't seen it.

IMHO - It's not the "family" stuff that went missing, it was how he shot it. And it wasn't just family life. He used to have a gift for narratively followable chaos. It's in Jaws and Close Encounters in many scenes with children and adults. Maybe if he had continued this stunt we'd be groaning about that old Spielberg cross-talk gag. But I don't really recall it in many (any?) of his later films.

58 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

that old Spielberg cross-talk gag. But I don't really recall it in many (any?) of his later films.

I think there was a little bit of that in The Post.

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

IMHO - It's not the "family" stuff that went missing, it was how he shot it. And it wasn't just family life. He used to have a gift for narratively followable chaos. It's in Jaws and Close Encounters in many scenes with children and adults. Maybe if he had continued this stunt we'd be groaning about that old Spielberg cross-talk gag. But I don't really recall it in many (any?) of his later films.

That was the 70's (basically Robert Altman introduced it in MASH and was fired for it two years prior on Countdown). It's gone now (mostly).

You guys and your bogus conspiracy theories! Hollywood has always romanticized the suburbs: The big ass freestanding houses, the beautiful trafficless tree lanes, the happy dog in the yard, carefree kids playing outside on their BMX bikes, the swimming pool, ... 

5d83f16f2e22af3afb6790ba?width=1136&form

It's a place where it's always 'golden hour' and that aliens love to visit. 

58 minutes ago, AC1 said:

You guys and your bogus conspiracy theories! Hollywood has always romanticized the suburbs: The big ass freestanding houses, the beautiful trafficless tree lanes, the happy dog in the yard, carefree kids playing outside on their BMX bikes, the swimming pool, ... 

It's a place where it's always 'golden hour' and that aliens love to visit. 

...but the suburbs have no charm to soothe the restless dreams of youth!

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

They only do that when they're satirising it by exaggerating those features as if they're concealing something sinister beneath the surface.

Don't believe everything Stranger Things is telling you.

18 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Don't believe everything Stranger Things is telling you.

I meant like Revolutionary Road or Pleasantville or whichever. Made by anti-suburb freaks who fled to Hollyweird and never shrugged off that chip on their shoulders.

The idyllic rooftops of 80s suburban America were a major part of early Spielberg iconography, as instantly attributable to the director's raison d'être as aliens and dinosaurs. When I was a kid, such scenery used to make me feel all warm inside. In the case of Poltergeist, Spielberg would use that to exploit the shit out of me. And for that I will always love him. 

As a big city kid, i never understood the appeal. Suburbs are boring, except when weird things happen within them (cf Halloween, Poltergeist, ET, Goonies, nowadays Stranger Things or Super 8 and so on). For me they  were a simple springboard for escapist entertainment, as which they are fine.

Being boring makes them pleasant to live in! They're generally not noisy, not congested, it's easy to drive around because they're usually better planned than their older city counterparts, you get to live in your own entire building, you own your own parkland as your front and backyard, etc.