What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

51 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Currently watching Walt Disney's Classic Home Alone 2 featuring Donald Trump 

Tin Man has that film on VHS, BETA, LASER, DVD, BLURAY, ULTRA HD, FOURK.

😛

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

There's no Christmas in Die Hard. You're imagining things!

Geez, Jerry, on what day is DIE HARD (and DIE HARD 2, for that matter?) set?

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

It's more Christmasy than HOLIDAY INN.

My favourite scenes in LOVE ACTUALLY are those with Laura Linney...for obvious reasons :)

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Currently watching Walt Disney's Classic Home Alone 2 featuring Donald Trump 

Slick but awful (goes for both, movie and cameo actor). That Williams invested so much in this rip-off says 'stellar work ethic' loud and clearly.

23 minutes ago, publicist said:

Slick but awful (goes for both, movie and cameo actor). That Williams invested so much in this rip-off says 'stellar work ethic' loud and clearly.

Did he invest so much though, apart from the two new carols? Most of the score is a rehash.

No, there are probably 6 new themes and motifs, and the orchestration is changed and fuller than the chamber-like original (which is the better score, exactly because it's not boilerplate big orchestra Williams). I'm not saying it's brilliant or anything, but the amount of care/detail is rather staggering.

15 minutes ago, publicist said:

No, there are probably 6 new themes and motifs, and the orchestration is changed and fuller than the chamber-like original (which is the better score, exactly because it's not boilerplate big orchestra Williams). I'm not saying it's brilliant or anything, but the amount of care/detail is rather staggering.

That might be, but to me it divides into three main categories: new carols, rehash, and the rest is mainly not very interesting.

29 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

If it really had been written with great care and detail, the new carols would have been used much more extensively.

The new carols are great!

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Which is a personal opinion that doesn't contradict the fact that it's written with great care and detail.

Parts of the score, sure. But apart from the carols, much of the new material is less inspired.

I feel bad because I bought the blu-ray set in 2013 but to this day, I still haven't opened the bloody thing. And now they've brought out the 4K edition, but I think BD's current sealed status is a red flag that I shouldn't bother upgrading. My interest was merely temporary.

I went through a very long spell of franchise fatigue with it, I was absolutely sick to death of all things Middle-Earth. So finally watching it again was like a rebirth. It might surprise you how much a long delayed revisit might make you appreciate it pretty hard. It is an astounding three film experience (theatricals are mostly the preferred sitting for me). 

Then you join Lord of the Rings Shireposting on Facebook and realise that lotr memes are the biggest source of movie memes on the planet and that there's a massive community of lotr joksters out there. 

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It might surprise you how much a long delayed revisit might make you appreciate it pretty hard.

That's happened to me a few times. Godzilla movies kinda went off my radar for a few years between 1998 and 2003 until Godzilla vs Destoroyah aired on SBS and that jump-started a franchise renaissance for me that hasn't ended since. Same with Star Trek, I grew up loving it, but I think sometime from 1998 onwards (even missing Nemesis at the cinema), I lost interest and couldn't be arsed about it, but at some point in the mid-2000s, I ran into people here like Hitch who helped rekindle my interest through the old Quote Wars and decided to seek out all the Special Edition DVDs of the movies and became more devoted than ever.

26 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

That's happened to me a few times. Godzilla movies kinda went off my radar for a few years between 1998 and 2003 until Godzilla vs Destoroyah aired on SBS and that jump-started a franchise renaissance for me that hasn't ended since. Same with Star Trek, I grew up loving it, but I think sometime from 1998 onwards, I lost interest and couldn't be arsed about it, but at some point in the mid-2000s, I ran into people here like Hitch who helped rekindle my interest through the old Quote Wars and decided to seek out all the Special Edition DVDs of the movies and became more devoted than ever.

That's what happens and it's such a great feeling. The communal aspect is a major part of the gushing adoration we feel for these things. In the case of Lord of Rings, I'd swear it's the groups I've since joined on FB which have helped keep my interest going this time. There's something about knowing there's millions out there who nerd-love something as much as you do that makes the appreciation grow somehow (in the case of lotr it is a pisstake subset of fandom which I got into; not the cloying purist sort). 

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

That's what happens and it's such a great feeling. The communal aspect is a major aspect of the gushing adoration we feel for these things. In the case of Lord of Rings, I'd swear it's the groups I've joined on FB which have helped keep my interest going this time. There's something about knowing there's millions out there who nerd-love something as much as you do that makes the appreciation grow somehow (in the case of lotr it is a pisstake subset of fandom which I got into; not the cloying purist sort). 

Gotta admit, the social media memes and constant JWfan quoting reignited my enthusiasm for the SW prequels. It was like re-viewing them from a completely different and exciting angle, also opening new avenues in what to look for in movies for a plain old sense of fun. You can tell the pisstake is there and you feel in on the joke.

47 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I feel bad because I bought the blu-ray set in 2013 but to this day, I still haven't opened the bloody thing. And now they've brought out the 4K edition, but I think BD's current sealed status is a red flag that I shouldn't bother upgrading. My interest was merely temporary.

I bought the LOTR special editions in the mid-2000's and never even unpacked them. It seemed like a great pickup idea to do that just know, when it fell on me that we don't even have a player anymore. Time to invest the 50€, methinks.

20 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

You can tell the pisstake is there and you feel in on the joke.

I got so into it at one point that I was contributing my own memes. 3.5k reacts and hundreds of comments was my record! I felt like I'd finally made it! 

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Of course it is. Even if I was on the fence, listen to the score. It's got more Christmas music in it than White Christmas!

I'm sure all the sleigh bells and stuff are just a coincidence. Kamen must have snuck them in against the direct commands of McTiernan and the producers.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That might be, but to me it divides into three main categories: new carols, rehash, and the rest is mainly not very interesting.

"The rest" is wonderful and probably more interesting than the somewhat repetitive underscore of the first. Of course the first has the benefit of being the first and already having the main theme and first two of the carol classics, and being a "smaller" film it's also comfortable with a smaller score. But I wouldn't miss stuff like Duncan's Toy Store for the world. If I could keep only one, it probably would have to be HA2. It has the better source music, too.

(And the first film doesn't even have the possibly best score cue in it!)

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

"The rest" is wonderful and probably more interesting than the somewhat repetitive underscore of the first.

To paraphrase Pubs, that's your personal opinion. ;)

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And the first film doesn't even have the possibly best score cue in it!)

The Christmas at Carnegie Hall medley?

Watched 10 or 15 minutes of Aquaman. It's bad, really bad. It's also sad that actors like Nicole Kidman (who once had a few shining moments) have to choose between playing silly characters in a superhero movie or disappear from the silver screen altogether. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I know, Alex, I know.

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Geez, Jerry, on what day is DIE HARD (and DIE HARD 2, for that matter?) set?

It's more Christmasy than HOLIDAY INN.

My favourite scenes in LOVE ACTUALLY are those with Laura Linney...for obvious reasons :)

Emma Thompson for me.

Gold (but not all of it) - as admittedly interesting as it was to see a 70s Moore film with him playing something with a little more grit than his Bond persona ... well, this was billed as an action-adventure but after the excitement of the opening mine cave-in there had been very little else in that department by the time I finally tired of it no longer holding my attention (the flight with Susannah York, for those who've seen it) and 'bailed'.

The Girl On The Train - this was more like it. A dark, twisty 'unreliable narrator' thriller adap of the bestselling novel with Emily Blunt, Rebecca Ferguson and Allison Janney.

Yeah I didn't mind Girl on Train. Emily Blunt was good.

Btw, remember the days when you could pick out an Elfman score by hearing it? But I had no idea it was him until I checked IMDb after the movie. Sheesh the guy has become anonymous. 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Gold (but not all of it) - as admittedly interesting as it was to see a 70s Moore film with him playing something with a little more grit than his Bond persona ... well, this was billed as an action-adventure but after the excitement of the opening mine cave-in there had been very little else in that department by the time I finally tired of it no longer holding my attention (the flight with Susannah York, for those who've seen it) and 'bailed'.

Holy sh!t, I've seen this one in the theatre at the time. Even then, it felt unremarkable and bland. When I left the theatre, I felt cheap and used.

b1a64a4b5366269abdfc95965219aef0.jpg

On 12/13/2020 at 12:26 PM, AC1 said:

Holy sh!t, I've seen this one in the theatre at the time. Even then, it felt unremarkable and bland. When I left the theatre, I felt cheap and used.

b1a64a4b5366269abdfc95965219aef0.jpg

Hee, hee. Quite by chance, I came across this on DVD at my local thrift shop. Like you, Alex, I also saw it at the cinema. The groans from all the men in the audience when the Rolls gets destroyed were audible.

It's a stupid film, but not without its good points, and Peter Hunt brings the same "individuality" to this, that he gave ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE (!).

I'd watch it again, if only for Susannah York (sigh) :lovethis:

On 12/13/2020 at 11:29 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Gold (but not all of it) - as admittedly interesting as it was to see a 70s Moore film with him playing something with a little more grit than his Bond persona...

Sweep, check out THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF. It's a very good performance, by Moore, and he's gone on record, by saying that it's his favourite non-Bond film role. I agree.

220px-Russia_house_poster.jpg

In honor of John Le Carré. It's not the best movie based on his books by a long shot, but the association with another recently deceased icon makes up for that. Plus the elegiac imagery of a post-communist Russia, dominated by one of Le Carrés core themes, the inevitability of guilt - which in this (rare) case leads to something good instead of the other way around. It's a good movie and Goldsmith's score makes it loud and clear that music can shape a movie in the best possible way.