What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Tintin is not exactly a masterpiece, but it's better than both BFG and Indy 4.

The error was to mix different stories in one movie ("The Crab with the Golden Claws", "The Secret of the Unicorn" and "Red Rackham's Treasure")... that's surely why there is no sequel.

Nobody can continue with what they've done, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Die Hard + Die Hard 2 ... my annual festive season rewatch, on BluRay for the first time (thought it was about time for an upgrade, boxset of 1 - 4 was £12.95 inc. postage from eBay so not too bad).

Because sometimes Xmas movies are better with gunfights, explosions and copious swearing.

I saw Die Hard 2 on Prime and was bored to tears by it. The sequel 'jokes' about the same stuff happening to the same guy again were extremely annoying. 

13 hours ago, Romão said:

In Spielberg's defense, Tintin's books are far shorter than Harry Potter's and there isn't much of  continuous story thread running through them

Which is also why the Potter films had to seriously dumb down and simplify the stories by removing most of the narrative devices. And yet most of them either feel rushed (because they try to cram too much story into too little film) or drag (because they attempt to not rush by adding awkward character/exposition scenes that don't work half as well as the stuff they've dropped). Tintin is easily a better paced and balanced film than most of the Potters.

32 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Why does HP have such a high re-read value among people? Usually once I've finished a book, I'm done with it and move on.

Well, if you want something long to read, look above you😉.

Maybe, you can write us a brief summary.

14 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Well, if you want something long to read, look above you😉.

Maybe, you can write us a brief summary.

Tl;dr

Williams' HP scores rule! The non-Williams suck the big one!

TITANIC - JAMES CAMERON

Just awesome... on a technical and emotional level.

I don''t know what to do.... I'm crying so much.

By the way, the fairly recent score expansion was worth every penny. 

Shut up Thor.

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

By contrast, the post-Azkaban films try to counter that by pretending to be more "mature". But they mostly fail to offset the "wonder of magic" by showing magic as an everyday thing, preferring to not show much of it at all

That's one of my biggest pet peeves, the books never lost that element of an inherently silly quirky world. Even the first two movies don't do a great job of capturing that, but the Yateses often don't even try and end up being bland as all hell.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - you know the drill ... the Griswold clan gathers, and chaos ensues. Randy Quaid's slobbish 'cousin Eddie' pretty much steals the show.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - you know the drill ... the Griswold clan gathers, and chaos ensues. Randy Quaid's slobbish 'cousin Eddie' pretty much steals the show.

All the Chase side gags are nothing to sneer at, either. I still cringe at the ladder-in-the-face gag.

This was only a video premiere in Germany and it wasn't widely distributed. A few people watched it and it catches on like wildfire. By now it's a Christmas tradition for many. 

MV5BYWZmMjZkMDktYzU2Yy00NzM5LTk2YmItMWIx

Really well done without the usual American sentimentality. It is a pity that this genre (cinema about people) is no longer considered suitable for cinemas. Let's hope that 'streaming' (where this genre is still welcome for the time being) does not go in the same direction as the cinema. 7/10

28sava600.jpg

Has anyone seen the Klaus (2019) animation film?

I hear it is very good (it's also no. 175 in best films of all time at imdb), but some people say the modern songs ruin the experience sometimes and I'm very sensitive as far as music is concerned in films.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4729430/

Apocalypse Now

Fuck me! What... what the hell was THAT?!

Maybe it’s the state of the world at the moment, but for pretty much the whole second half of this, I felt like I was slowly going insane with the characters. It made me seriously anxious.

Just for that, it is one of the greatest films I’ve ever seen; handily.

Outstanding! ***** out of *****

15 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I am sick and tired of men being portrayed as dithering idiots who fall apart in.the presence of a buxom chick.

This is a harmful stereotype that is especially prevalent on tv sitcoms where Fathers are inevitably portrayed as sex crazed morons!

Men are people too!😝

13 hours ago, Jay said:

that's a pretty stacked cast

I assume you refer to the LAMPOON clip above?

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Apocalypse Now

Maybe it’s the state of the world at the moment, but for pretty much the whole second half of this, I felt like I was slowly going insane with the characters. It made me seriously anxious.

first time GIF

39 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

What makes it funny is America is a sexually repressed society, and Clark is in a tug-of-war between his impulses and his marriage. That sort of struggle can make a man's brain fill up with error codes.

Virtually every father figure on tv is portrayed as just this side of Homer Simpson.

So, I have to laugh when women kvetch and whine about stereotyping!

Women generally hate stereotypical depictions of themselves because they hate acknowledging the truth about what they really are. And the truth isn't all that terrible (unflattering certainly), it merely states that they're flawed, but those imperfections are too "unsexy" or "unromantic" for them to bear. Blokes are cooler cats about it and can generally laugh at themselves more.

When RATCHED came out there were several articles about the " appropriateness" of the character being revived in our era!

Laurel and Hardy were typical of an era when men were portrayed as ' henpecked'.

And, NOBODY is funnier than those guys!😅

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Apocalypse Now

It's one of those all-time-favorites that never quite did it for me, just like The Godfather. The last time I tried to love Apocalypse Now, it was the Redux version. 

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not seen the DC, but REDUX puts so much meat back on to the bones of APOCALYPSE NOW.

It makes a great film even greater. It truly is (along with GODFATHER I and II), among the greatest films ever made.

It's great to.have those extra scenes with Brando, and the plantation scene has some good stuff too#

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

How long is the Redux version? Lawrence of Arabia? 

Under three hrs

14 minutes ago, Quintus said:

How long is the Redux version? Lawrence of Arabia? 

I watched the original cut, but then I looked around the various cuts (in fact, I’ve watched it again in the Final Cut by now). The redux is about 3 hours and 15 minutes, I believe, the Final Cut is just over 3 hours, and the original cut is 2:50.

The ideal cut is probably somewhere between the final cut and the original. But ultimately all versions of the film have the same feel, which is quite unlike anything I’ve ever watched.

The final cut took out the Brando scenes!😵😡😠.

But it also took out the PLAYMATE scene, which didn't really belong except for the nude babes.

I would have shortened the plantation scene to also cut out the sex scene.

REDUX is the one. Brando makes the film!

24 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not seen the DC, but REDUX puts so much meat back on to the bones of APOCALYPSE NOW.

It makes a great film even greater. It truly is (along with GODFATHER I and II), among the greatest films ever made.

What happened to 'subjectivity'?