What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

7 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The final cut took out the Brando scenes!😵😡😠.

But it also took out the PLAYMATE scene, which didn't really belong except for the nude babes.

I would have shortened the plantation scene to also cut out the sex scene.

REDUX is the one. Brando makes the film!

The thing is that Kurtz must be a relatively fleeting presence: too much and you’ll puncture the illusion.

The thing I would have kept from the final cut is the laugh the lads on the boat share when Kilgore comes looking for them: it’s an important moment that the theatrical doesn’t really have. 

I would also trim the piece where Willard goes off to look for a commanding officer near the bridge, which was already too long in the theatrical.

But all of this is trivial. What matters is what the movie made me feel at the end. Whether we necessarily got there by the most efficient road? Doesn’t really matter.

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I've never considered GODFATHERS to be great.

Especially the first one which glorified the mob- even FFC admits that.

I don’t like the sequels to The Godfather, and I have my (relatively minor) issues with the original, too. Apocalypse Now was something COMPLETELY different; and to my mind, much, much better.

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I dunno, I might have to revisit this one. I saw it as a teenager and wasn't all that thrilled.

I think sometimes its the circumstances under which you watch a film that make the experience. Whatever it was, I felt like I was going insane; which, in a film all about insanity, is what you want.

But I can see how it won't necessarily grab everyone quite like that. When I watched it a second time (I always watch film twice before discussing them), it was still superb, but the whole hypnotic quality of it was diminished.

Still, fantastic.

The Living Daylights - a top-notch Bond adventure for the series' 25th anniversary. It frustrates that circumstances prevented Dalton from doing at least 2 more than he did. 

EYE OF VICHY

Vivre Petain!?

Non!😠

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I didn't mention the score, because, frankly, it goes without saying :)

It's easily a top-3 Bond score, and it's, also, my #1 favourite Barry score.

My program

Screenshot_2020-12-24-14-35-08.png

Peter Jackson’s King Kong. 

It’s actually a pretty good film for a St Stephen’s Day morning. As it is I’d call it a good film. Shave 30 minutes off it and there’s a very good film in there. At one point you just seem to be jumping from one random monster encounter to another and I feel you could trim some of that.  

I think I’ll watch the extended edition with Jackson’s commentary at some point. Don’t think I’d just watch the extended edition on its own. 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Film ended to be good the moment they set foot on the island.

I think the problems really set in during the dinosaur stampede. That’s where it just feels like PJ got carried away in the toy box. 

I think the performances are great and the emotion is great. Visually I think it looks very good for a 15 year old film. It just gets a bit OTT with the monsters and goes on too long. 

Memento.

Wow. What an amazing movie. I understood nearly everything, but am definitely going to re-watch it at some point. Guy Pearce was pretty good, didn’t recognise him at all. Carrie-Anne Moss was fantastic, need to watch her in more.

David Julyan’s score is predictable: some of the cues are functional, others are downright annoying and everything could have been a lot better had Hans Zimmer, or anyone else, scored it. Well, except Lorne Balfe. Why did such a gifted director work with such a useless composer?

Love Actually. I'd never actually seen it before. I always quite surprised myself by not minding Four Weddings and Notting Hill, and so I expected more of the same with this. I mean, it has Hugh Grant and a whole cast of reliable British caricatures on the box, so I thought I knew exactly what to expect with this. But it was honestly one of the worst movies I can ever remember watching. Jesus. 

Dances With Wolves

A bit workman-like in some of the direction - and I could do without 90% of the voiceover - but nice landscape photography, a nice portrayal of friendship between Dunbar and the Indians, and a FANTASTIC Buffalo hunt sequence. I like it. ***1/2 out of *****

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Love Actually. I'd never actually seen it before. I always quite surprised myself by not minding Four Weddings and Notting Hill, and so I expected more of the same with this. I mean, it has Hugh Grant and a whole cast of reliable British caricatures on the box, so I thought I knew exactly what to expect with this. But it was honestly one of the worst movies I can ever remember watching. Jesus. 

Yea, this was playing here recently as well and I was similarly cringing. It has not aged well at all.

18 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Carrie-Anne Moss was fantastic, need to watch her in more.

She's great but got stuck with the same problem almost every actress eventually faces, a lack of good roles for middle aged woman.  She kinda disappeared like so many other talents