What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Xanadu

Who the fuck greenlit this? Great soundtrack, Olivia Newton John is gorgeous, but the plot doesn't make sense at all. It's an excuse for numerous roller skating sequences, lame dancing sequences, bad acting, a bizarre animated interlude... I could go on. 

I feel bad for Gene Kelly. He and Olivia deserved a better song-and-dance movie than Xanadu

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

Xanadu

There's an interesting video on YouTube, that explains why XANADU is among the worst photographed films of all time. Check it out.

The songs are great. Both ONJ and ELO really came up with the goods.

A quick question:

Is XANADU better, worse, or about that same as another big musical flop that came out at around the same time, namely CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC?

I just started rewatching LONESOME DOVE.

I hardly remember anything so it's like watching this master piece for the FIRST TIME!

Note: BEWARE of buying any version that is not FULLSCREEN or UNCUT.

The bluray has " reformatted " it for 16:9- God I hate that. It's a desecration!- and cut out several scenes!😵😡😵😠.

I just purchased the ORIGINAL version from Amazon.

Screenshot_2020-12-27-23-24-57.png

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

There's an interesting video on YouTube, that explains why XANADU is among the worst photographed films of all time. Check it out.

The songs are great. Both ONJ and ELO really came up with the goods.

A quick question:

Is XANADU better, worse, or about that same as another big musical flop that came out at around the same time, namely CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC?

The awful camerawork hurts the dance sequences -- the three basic shot (close-ups, medium, and wide) setups at eye-line level rather than emulating the Busby Berkeley musical shots. And the editing is crap too.

I tried watching Can't Stop the Music -- it is worse than Xanadu. Xanadu is innocuous if incomprehensible. Music is offensively kitschy and boring -- and when you lose the lead singer of the Village People because the script was bad... that's saying something.

Screen-Shot-2020-12-28-at-6-04-22-PM.png

Loveless

The Russian take on Prisoners. Parents divorce, kid goes missing, people break down. Less flashier than Villeneuve's film, more somber, and yet simultaneously a little on the nose. Zvyagintsev is clearly a very confident director however, and crafts some very compelling images here.

The curious case of Benjamin Button.

Another re-watch. One minute into it and Cate Blanchett was already panting, which was one of the few things I still remembered about the movie. God, speak up, woman. All the actors are great, although Tilda Swinton is unrecognisable. I found the priest dying on the spot rather cheap and could have done without all the hospital scenes too, but other than that, it was pretty okay, if perhaps a little long. I do wonder when Elizabeth slept, though, and also can’t believe how versatile Cate Blanchett is, but have definitely seen her in too much and don’t really accept how Benjamin dealt with his dad in his final scene. Also surprised Brad Pitt was so great, I seem to remember him being annoying in Se7en.

Desplat’s score is great, but there’s a little too much emphasis on the weird side of Benjamin’s situation in cues that are supposed to be tender. The source music really works as well. Also, did I ever tell you guys I was struck by lighting seven times?

Eraserhead

It’s amazing how little Lynch has changed over the course of 40 years. Such exuberance in style right out of the gate on a student film. I didn’t expect there to be such little dialogue, but it was a pleasant surprise. This felt like a rough draft of Part 8. 

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Eraserhead

It’s amazing how little Lynch has changed over the course of 40 years. Such exuberance in style right out of the gate on a student film. I didn’t expect there to be such little dialogue, but it was a pleasant surprise. This felt like a rough draft of Part 8. 

You're right. By any standards, it is an extraordinary film.

V for vendetta.

Yet another er-watch. The only thing I remembered about this one was that the middle section was really dull. And it wasn’t. To my surprise, I loved the first 20 minutes. So intense. It’s also really weird how John Standing sounds exactly like Stephen Fry. Natalie Portman’s British accent or her rushed connection with V don’t work for me, though, as well as the fact that some key scenes are badly-paced. Also, how did Evey find V’s place? V’s excuse for not wanting to set off the bomb felt cheap and by the end I had had enough of him and his monologues. Oh no, now they kiss?! Ah, I see, we need to end with some violence. No, wait, it’s not over yet, love pledges first. And a cry of despair. And a final catchy one-liner. I just realised how funny it is to watch this movie now. Hopefully the pandemic won’t last too long anymore.

The score is excellent. Love the minor-major shifts in the main theme. There’s even an homage to Thomas Newman, except that this one is better. There’s also a Kylo ren statement. The use of classical music is fantastic.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:57 AM, Quintus said:

It helped that the lead girl is a lady called Cristin Milioti, whom I first spotted in Fargo (actually, I saw her in an episode of Black Mirror prior to that). She's a solid comedy performer with big benign eyes and an irresistible smile. 

Yea, this one was good fun. And Milioti really helps sell it. I've loved her since she first popped up in How I Met Your Mother. She's brightens up everything she's in!

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief

Everything about this movie is extremely bland, uninspired and lame. The movie doesn't have the interesting visuals you'd expect from a fantasy movie based around Greek mithology, the direction and cinematography were dull, lifeless and generic. The score is utterly forgettable. The cast is the same 20-year-old "teenagers" with the generic hero, the generic best friend, generic love interest...

I can't believe this was directed by the same guy who did such beloved movies by many children like Home Alone and Harry Potter. He doesn't bring anything interesting to this franchise, it's all so lame anf forgettable.

Perhaps Drax was right in which Harry Potter did more harm than good to Hollywood by spawning all these generic copycats.

The Cotton Club (1984) (original theatrical cut).

I liked it. I loved the atmosphere of it. I think this could be underrated.

It's been considered disjointed but i didn't have a problem with that.

has anyone seen the encore edition? is it better?

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom - not quite Raiders of course, but still tons of action-adventure fun. That said, like Raiders it sails quite close to the wind as regards the content of a PG-rated movie.   

The untouchables. Random thoughts:

- My favourite British audio-describer, Tony Cook, who even makes main titles and end credits sound like compelling stories, nailed this one as well.

- The opening music was used by my favourite Belgian stand-up comedian to open his second show.

- Urgh, Robert De Niro. Playing the guy he always plays. And yet he was engaging this time.

- Not sure what I have to think about Connery and Costner’s rushed relationship or the true background of Connery’s character, but Connery’s accent and voice are so enjoyable… except when he keeps barking orders and acting tough.

- Morricone’s score is fantastic, especially the romantic side. They don’t write them like this anymore.

- YES! I finally watched the movie with that ‘if he puts one of your men in the hospital, you put one of his men into the morgue’ line! And it even comes back for a second time, sort of.

- Is that the City of Prague Philharmonic?

- I’m watching a Kevin Costner movie I’m actually enjoying.

- I didn’t really like the two cops fighting.

- Connery’s death was more moving than I could ever have imagined, reprised cue or not.

- I was going to say the ending felt rather anti-climactic, but will happily retract that statement.

- I need to watch more Brian De Palma movies.

7 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Morricone’s score is fantastic, especially the romantic side. They don’t write them like this anymore.

It indeed is. Top 5 Morricone for me. I recommend to seek out the LLL expanded release, also because it includes the great OST in remastered sound.

11 hours ago, filmmusic said:

The Cotton Club (1984) (original theatrical cut).

I liked it. I loved the atmosphere of it. I think this could be underrated.

It's been considered disjointed but i didn't have a problem with that.

has anyone seen the encore edition? is it better?

I've seen it. More and longer musical numbers in the club.

Not a big fan of the film.So, watch it if you like the music of that era- I don't for the most part.

I rewatched The Shining before watching Doctor Sleep.

What an error.

First of all The Shining never looked so beautiful, now it's all restored with plenty of colors, perfect sound effects and without any artifacts. In my souvenirs, it looked more damaged. Well, it's a perfect movie and still very enjoyable to watch.

Now the sequel... Well, first of all, after watching a Stanley Kubrik movie, every movie looks lame.  Doctor Sleep is indeed very lame cinematically, it's no match in comparison with The Shining. But the tone is lame too, it's a very average looking movie, with a really really bad casting... and I include Ewan McGregor in the lot, without speaking of the total lack of charisma of the hippy woman (with the opera hat), who is supposed to make us afraid.

The story is not so bad, although it's nonsense from the start... the development is interesting, but like a good Stephen King, we see the end (or the absence of end) coming from miles... 

In definitive, the movie is not a total failure, but it's far to be the movie it should have been.

It lacks of charm, of soul, of mastery.  It was a far too much ambitious project for this Mike Flanagan

Who is he?

Well, it's a movie of its generation. 

It's poor.

I liked Doctor Sleep way more than I thought I would, but don't think it's anything all that special either?  I was sucked in by the gonzo story against my better judgment.  The scene with Jacob Tremblay as the baseball boy was pretty profoundly unsettling for me I will say.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I rewatched The Shining before watching Doctor Sleep.

What an error.

First of all The Shining never looked so beautiful, now it's all restored with plenty of colors, perfect sound effects and without any artifacts. In my souvenirs, it looked more damaged. Well, it's a perfect movie and still very enjoyable to watch.

Now the sequel... Well, first of all, after watching a Stanley Kubrik movie, every movie looks lame.  Doctor Sleep is indeed very lame cinematically, it's no match in comparison with The Shining. But the tone is lame too, it's a very average looking movie, with a really really bad casting... and I include Ewan McGregor in the lot, without speaking of the total lack of charisma of the hippy woman (with the opera hat), who is supposed to make us afraid.

The story is not so bad, although it's nonsense from the start... the development is interesting, but like a good Stephen King, we see the end (or the absence of end) coming from miles... 

In definitive, the movie is not a total failure, but it's far to be the movie it should have been.

It lacks of charm, of soul, of mastery.  It was a far too much ambitious project for this Mike Flanagan

Who is he?

Well, it's a movie of its generation. 

It's poor.

From a psychological horror movie to a vampire movie in disguise ... You really have to ask yourself, who authorized this?!

19 minutes ago, AC1 said:

From a psychological horror movie to a vampire movie in disguise ... You really have to ask yourself, who authorized this?!

I'm not saying it was successful, but by the end I thought the movie pretty much lost interest in the horror part of the plot and was 100% a story about a recovering alcoholic coming to terms with childhood trauma.

Regarding Doctor Sleep, I read the book when it came out, and even though I am a massive King fan, you have to assess it with honesty and admit it’s not very good. Not as a sequel to The Shining, and not as a story on it’s own.

I thought that maybe the story would fit the cinematic format better, so I approached the movie with an open mind... but, no.

Bad book. Bad movie.

Yes, it is NOT a true sequel, it's a new story using The Shining to sell.

Stephen King is now there it seems.

Times are hard.

But all this story makes one shining higher than ever: Stanley Kubrik.

BTW, I just saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.

HE GOT ME, HE GOT ME! BASTARD TARANTINO!

:rock:

PS: Note that this movie is only relevant if you know Charles Manson and if you recognized him in the movie.

The Death Of Stalin - darkly satirical chuckles (courtesy of Armando Iannucci and a brilliant cast) as the acolytes of 'Uncle Joe' scramble, squabble and backstab for power after he turns up his toes.

Death Of Stalin is good, I actually caught it in the cinema when it had its run.

Question: Are Doctor Sleep (2019) and Death Of Stalin (2017) considered “old” movies?

I guess it’s completely subjective what you consider to be “old” or “new” movies - but since there’s a thread for each kind it makes it kinda hard to know what to post where since it’s completely arbitrary.

For me, I guess I’d still call movies made in 2010 - that is, as far back as 10 years ago - to still be “new”, at least  compared with “old” movies (which by definition would be anything before the ‘10s).

But then again, I guess a movie that came out in 2017 could be “old” if it was compared to what is running in the cinema right now, if only the most recent movies (6 months tops?) are to be considered “new”.

But then, it’s so hard to define, why even have different threads for “old” and “new”? If, for example, I would put Inception (2010) in “new” and someone else would put Dunkirk (2017) in “old”, what’s even the point?

Why not just have one thread, “What is the last film you watched? (old and new films)”?

39 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Death Of Stalin is good, I actually caught it in the cinema when it had its run.

Question: Are Doctor Sleep (2019) and Death Of Stalin (2017) considered “old” movies?

I guess it’s completely subjective what you consider to be “old” or “new” movies - but since there’s a thread for each kind it makes it kinda hard to know what to post where since it’s completely arbitrary.

For me, I guess I’d still call movies made in 2010 - that is, as far back as 10 years ago - to still be “new”, at least  compared with “old” movies (which by definition would be anything before the ‘10s).

But then again, I guess a movie that came out in 2017 could be “old” if it was compared to what is running in the cinema right now, if only the most recent movies (6 months tops?) are to be considered “new”.

But then, it’s so hard to define, why even have different threads for “old” and “new”? If, for example, I would put Inception (2010) in “new” and someone else would put Dunkirk (2017) in “old”, what’s even the point?

Why not just have one thread, “What is the last film you watched? (old and new films)”?

There is no more old and new any more.  It's simplified now - go here for 2021 films and use this thread (older films) for anything else.  Simple.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

There is no more old and new any more.  It's simplified now - go here for 2021 films and use this thread (older films) for anything else.  Simple.

What if someone manages to catch a preview of a 2022 film before the end of the year?

(Hey, I'm a software developer, I have to look out for these fringe cases)